Winter tires

Old August 28th 08, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Squat'n Dive

Default Winter tires

Do you switch to winter rubber at 32F or higher temps?
How do you mount something spiky (W296???) without trashing skin on
your hands?
Old August 28th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_9_]

Squat'n Dive wrote:
Do you switch to winter rubber at 32F or higher temps?
How do you mount something spiky (W296???) without trashing skin on
your hands?

If you mean Nokians, they aren't so sharp that you can't avoid scrapes
when mounted with care. Mine (700C) don't fit so tightly as to make
things difficult.

Mark J.
Old August 28th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Squat'n Dive wrote:
Do you switch to winter rubber at 32F or higher temps?
How do you mount something spiky (W296???) without trashing skin on
your hands?

Gloves?

Seriously, studded tires aren't sharp.
Old August 28th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anthony DeLorenzo

On Aug 28, 8:34*am, Peter Cole wrote:
Squat'n Dive wrote:
Do you switch to winter rubber at 32F or higher temps?
How do you mount something spiky (W296???) without trashing skin on
your hands?

Gloves?

Seriously, studded tires aren't sharp.

No, but you've got to be pretty careful mounting your home-studded ice
racing tires that are full of sheet metal screws.
Old August 28th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
"Squat'n Dive" wrote:

Do you switch to winter rubber at 32F or higher temps?

Why would you change tires? I use the same tires year 'round in
Minnesota. 700 x 25 Panaracer Pasela or 26 x 1.25 Pasela.

Now, if I was nuts enough to be out on ice-covered roads in the winter
I'd put on some studded tires. Drivers around here are in marginal
control of their care on dry pavement on a 70F degree day, let alone at
-10F with ice on the roads, thanks to "driver's education" providing
enough skills to be inept behind the wheel. When it's icy, I do other
things than ride my bike.
Old August 28th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Squat'n Dive" wrote in message
Do you switch to winter rubber at 32F or higher temps?
How do you mount something spiky (W296???) without trashing skin on
your hands?

I switch to "winter" tires for rain, not temperature. When wet, tires are
far more prone to puncture (so a tougher tire is called for) and there's no
substitute for a bit more width when slippery. I profess ignorance to
whether different rubber compounds might work better when temps get really
low though. The coldest it's ever been on one of my Tuesday/Thursday morning
rides on the SF Peninsula was 23 degrees, and it's extraordinarily rare to
see it dip below 30.

And those few times it does get that cold, one rarely sees ice 'round these
parts. It's generally exceptionally dry when that cold.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old August 29th 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
"Squat'n Dive" wrote in message
Do you switch to winter rubber at 32F or higher temps?
How do you mount something spiky (W296???) without trashing skin on
your hands?

I switch to "winter" tires for rain, not temperature. When wet, tires are
far more prone to puncture (so a tougher tire is called for) and there's no
substitute for a bit more width when slippery. I profess ignorance to
whether different rubber compounds might work better when temps get really
low though. The coldest it's ever been on one of my Tuesday/Thursday morning
rides on the SF Peninsula was 23 degrees, and it's extraordinarily rare to
see it dip below 30.

THAT AIN'T WINTER!!!

And those few times it does get that cold, one rarely sees ice 'round these
parts. It's generally exceptionally dry when that cold.

Cold is when the moisture in your nose freezes when you inhale.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old August 29th 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Tom Sherman wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

Oh.
I thought it was when the frozen lump of mustache snot is forgotten as
tears freeze on the eyelashes.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old August 29th 08, 08:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Squat'n Dive

On 29 Á×Ç, 01:41, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
"Squat'n Dive" wrote in message

Do you switch to winter rubber at 32F or higher temps?
How do you mount something spiky (W296???) without trashing skin on
your hands?

I switch to "winter" tires for rain, not temperature. When wet, tires are
far more prone to puncture (so a tougher tire is called for) and there's no
substitute for a bit more width when slippery. I profess ignorance to
whether different rubber compounds might work better when temps get really
low though. The coldest it's ever been on one of my Tuesday/Thursday morning
rides on the SF Peninsula was 23 degrees, and it's extraordinarily rare to
see it dip below 30.

And those few times it does get that cold, one rarely sees ice 'round these
parts. It's generally exceptionally dry when that cold.

I second that. Bay area has a climate suitable for year round cycling.
Unfortunately that
area has a lot of other problems that might want you to reconsider
living there
year round. So I don't :^)