My LBS and I need to have a talk about 28mm+ tires

Old August 29th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default My LBS and I need to have a talk about 28mm+ tires

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:39:01 -0500, A Muzi
wrote:

On Aug 28, 10:33 pm, A Muzi wrote:
Pasela Kevlar belt (wire bead) are all-black

landotter wrote:
Gotta link? That would be the ideal LBS replacement tire. A $25 wire
bead all black kevlar belt Pasela. Stock 5 sizes and be done with it.

Paul M. Hobson wrote:
Just curious: is the affinity for black walled tires simply a cosmetic one?

Yes and the customers who hate black and demand tan side are equally
vociferous, albeit older. We stock both.

Dear Andrew,

With 31 flats so far this year, mostly slow-leak goat heads, I like
tan sidewalls for a practical reason.

With a tan sidewall, it's easy to see with a quick glance that I'm in
denial and the rear tire has a slow leak.

With a black sidewall make it much harder to glance back and see if
the rear tire is slowly beginning to bulge.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old August 29th 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wayne Brown

A Muzi wrote in rec.bicycles.tech:

Pasela Kevlar belt (wire bead) are all-black

Since when? I just put a pair of Pasela TourGuards (Kevlar belt and wire
bead) on my bike a few weeks ago, and they had tan sidewalls. In fact,
the tan sidewalls were one of the main reasons I chose the Pasela TG in
the first place.

--
F. Wayne Brown

Þæs ofereode, ðisses swa mæg. ("That passed away, this also can.")
from "Deor," in the Exeter Book (folios 100r-100v)
Old August 29th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
landotter wrote:

On Aug 29, 9:58*am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Paul M. Hobson wrote:
Just curious: is the affinity for black walled tires simply a cosmetic
one?

Yes and the customers who hate black and demand tan side are equally
vociferous, albeit older. We stock both.

Heh. This note reminded me that owing to some especially good deals on
some odds and ends at my (recently closed out) LBS, my race bike has a
blackwall on the front and a tanwall on the back wheel.

Of course, it's also running mismatched wheels and a Shimagnolo
drivetrain,

[theramin]

IT'S ALIVE!!!

(This is a shout-out to rec.bicycles.racing): therEmin

Mottled black/yellow bar tape on a white bike with black graphics, and a
Selle Italia Storika:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/co...alia/PRD_29885
1_2509crx.aspx

I call that bike, "The Whip." It's my road race bike. the frame is by
Fetish Cycles.

Old August 30th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
With 31 flats so far this year, mostly slow-leak goat heads, I like
tan sidewalls for a practical reason.

With a tan sidewall, it's easy to see with a quick glance that I'm in
denial and the rear tire has a slow leak.

With a black sidewall make it much harder to glance back and see if
the rear tire is slowly beginning to bulge.

Well put, but old people buy tan, young people black (with, of course,
exceptions).

Yes, my tubs are all tan side.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old August 30th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Wayne Brown wrote:
Since when? I just put a pair of Pasela TourGuards (Kevlar belt and wire
bead) on my bike a few weeks ago, and they had tan sidewalls. In fact,
the tan sidewalls were one of the main reasons I chose the Pasela TG in
the first place.

Both tan and black are current in 700 and in 27 inch.
Old August 30th 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Heh. This note reminded me that owing to some especially good deals on
some odds and ends at my (recently closed out) LBS, my race bike has a
blackwall on the front and a tanwall on the back wheel.

Of course, it's also running mismatched wheels and a Shimagnolo
drivetrain,

You are going to give Fabrizio Mazzoleni a premature heart attack with
your fredliness.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old August 30th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
Mottled black/yellow bar tape on a white bike with black graphics, and a
Selle Italia Storika:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/co...1_2509crx.aspx

That looks like a Marquis de Sade sex toy.

Old August 30th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Aug 29, 8:04*am, landotter wrote:
On Aug 29, 7:39*am, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:

So they don't do special order?

Special order a normal citi tire *when there's 2nd day delivery and
internets? You funny guy! LBS is for service, wisdom--and for the
parts thing--it's gotta be like the pizza and wing shack on the
corner--instant gratification, or nobody's buying.

"Yessir, we can see if QBP has a fried gizzard combo here in the
catalog."

Glad you think I'm funny but most decent shops will do special order
for items that few people buy at that shop. You may think these and
some other of the items you have mentioned or have shown on this NG
are 'mainstream' and cool(like the ANT bike recently) but may not be
in your market, just be interesting and useful to a small market
segment. A LBS can't be everything to everybody, that most often
spells doom. A bike shop has to define their market segment and
aggressively pursue that segment. Why some carry these tires and some
do not.
Old August 30th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Wayne Brown wrote:
Since when? *I just put a pair of Pasela TourGuards (Kevlar belt and wire
bead) on my bike a few weeks ago, and they had tan sidewalls. *In fact,
the tan sidewalls were one of the main reasons I chose the Pasela TG in
the first place.

Both tan and black are current in 700 and in 27 inch.
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Hmmm, since I couldn't get Conti Contacts in 32 I got a pair of these
Paselas from J&B. The 32c Contis fit(didn't want to take the last pair
we had), the Paselas didn't..too big. Also more expensive than
Contacts. Finally got the Contacts and adios the Paselas..I'll stick
to Contis for my winter wheels.
Old August 30th 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

wrote:

So they don't do special order?

Special order a normal citi tire *when there's 2nd day delivery and
internets? You funny guy! LBS is for service, wisdom--and for the
parts thing--it's gotta be like the pizza and wing shack on the
corner--instant gratification, or nobody's buying.

"Yessir, we can see if QBP has a fried gizzard combo here in the
catalog."

Glad you think I'm funny but most decent shops will do special order
for items that few people buy at that shop.

For normal things that most folks can order online--the chances of a
shop screwing up an order are far greater than an individual ordering
from a computer at home, plus there's the LBS charge. I tried to be
nice and get the last set of DM18s I built from my LBS, just to be
neighborly--as they're so cheap to being with. Took a month, as they
ordered the wrong size and cost around $60, whereas getting them
online would have been a couple days and $40. It's not the first time
this has happened--so I've decided to no longer bother with special
ordering nickel and dime stuff I can get myself.

LBS is for stuff like I saw walk out yesterday afternoon--a 2008.5 Dew
Plus with a beautiful rack and fender job custom done around the disc
brakes with zero wiggle or rattle. That's the kind of thing that
confounds the average joe at home--or me--I didn't know about that
particular nifty rack that D. had used. Looked sharp as a tack in
monochromatic black.