Motivation for Training

Old August 29th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronny

Default Motivation for Training

The problem I have is not the actual training part, but rather the
motivation to actually get on my bike. Im comfortable in my kit and
on the bike I can't get enough. I just need that push to start
getting
ready for the ride, to wake up early. Its easy to get the drive when
there's a big race coming up, so its easy for me to be consistant in
my training because everyone's training and I wouldn't wanna fall
behind or get dropped on the weekend ride. Im just looking for that
thing that i need that would make me jump up and start riding instead
of thinking up reasons why I don't have to. I started a blog where I
listed some of the stuff I could think of, but I still haven't found
"the thing" that would give me drive and push me to be better. If
anyone's interested, my blog is at http://cycleright.wordpress.com. I
have some cool training tips on there that have worked for me in the
past.
Old August 29th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 29, 5:53*am, Ronny wrote:
[...]

I used to get up early to go train with groups at 7:00-7:30. I have
been getting progressively lazy and end up leaving at 10:00, 11:00
most of the time. Nice thing about it though is that I am enjoying it
and am training a lot harder. Two reasons for this, it is a lot hotter
and if you push yourself you end up riding hard all the time since
you don't have wind protection.

In the group rides we average aver 22 miles and hour easily with hard
efforts in between getting close to 30 mph. When I ride alone I can
barely average 20 mph on a long ride. However, since I am so used to
riding fast in groups, I push myself to ride hard and it is hard for
myself to ride slow even if I try to. What has happened is that the
few weekends that I have the motivation for riding with the group, I
feel really strong and drafting at 25 plus mph is a cruise for me. I
don't suffer much during the hard efforts and end up taking lots of
pulls.

I do find the hardest part to get the bike ready, put clothes on and
open the door. Once out, riding is a blast.

Andres
Old August 29th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Aug 29, 4:53 am, Ronny wrote:
The problem I have is not the actual training part, but rather the
motivation to actually get on my bike.

I can relate to that feeling sometimes, although in my case it's
mustering the gumption to go out the door and mount up at 5:45 AM for
the daily commute. I also find that everything's usually groovy once
off and running, which raises an interesting contradiction (hmmm... )

snip

Im just looking for that
thing that i need that would make me jump up and start riding instead
of thinking up reasons why I don't have to.

snip

The thing is character. To relate it to physical training, think of
it as strength of character. It's more valuable than a lifetime
supply of Mojo bars ;-)
Old August 29th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wayne Brown

I have an easy way of getting myself going. My son usually goes to work
at 5:00 AM, and I usually drive him to work. He works in an area that
has some really nice places to ride (long winding residential streets
with gentle to moderate hills, and a sports complex that includes bike
trails with steeper hills). So I put the bike in the back of the car
each night. The next morning, after I drop him off at work, I'm already
wide awake, and the bike is right there, so it's easy to go riding around
the neighborhood and the bike trails for a couple of hours, then go home
and take a shower before heading to the office. That generally guarantees
that I ride at least a couple of hours a day at least five days a week.

--
F. Wayne Brown

Þæs ofereode, ðisses swa mæg. ("That passed away, this also can.")
from "Deor," in the Exeter Book (folios 100r-100v)
Old August 29th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 29, 6:53*am, Ronny wrote:
The problem I have is not the actual training part, but rather the
motivation to actually get on my bike.

Boozing heavily and waking up with a hideous hang-over: the
nearest source of coffee being more'n six miles away. Also,
no car.

Training Motivation Ronny General 2 August 30th 08 04:17 PM
Cycling Training Motivation Ronny Racing 4 August 30th 08 01:42 AM
Training Motivation Ronny UK 0 August 28th 08 11:37 PM
Motivation Jeremy Collins UK 25 January 6th 06 11:58 AM
motivation erik saunders Racing 10 November 1st 04 04:06 AM