DIY bike stands and SBC in the living room, was DIY bike standsand repair stations

Old August 16th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default DIY bike stands and SBC in the living room, was DIY bike standsand repair stations

On Aug 16, 7:00*am, DaveC wrote:
I'd like to build a means to hold my bike up in my apartment so I can work on
it.

Anybody who cares to describe their DIY setup to hold the bike (preferably at
standing work-height), I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

1. Clear the the kitchen table, turn the bike upside down on it, and
almost everything you want to work on is at a convenient height. Buy a
rubber mat to put on the table, or spread some cardboard, or your
better half might complain.

2. You can buy folding stands, some of them lightweight, reasonably
cheaply. At one townhouse we lived in where it was not convenient to
take the bike into the garden, I just worked in the back hall beside
the stairs when it rained, and outside on the front patio when it
didn't. You don't need as much width as you might first imagine, as
almost everything you do on a bike you do from either one side or
standing at the back or the front of the bike.

3. You can buy the tilting, swivelling jaws (that hold the bike) in
versions to bolt either onto a wall or onto a bench if you are in a
position to make a permanent or semi-permanent installation.

4. Topeak sells a little stand that fits under the bottom bracket and
raises the bike a few inches, which might be enough if you're young
and limber.

5. Before I had a stand, I liked the low wall around raised flowerbeds
on the front patio outside an earlier town house. For little jobs like
spoke checking or oiling the chain, I'd sit on the wall and bend over.
For bigger jobs I'd raise the bike onto the wall and drop the stand
among the flowers. By extension, a milkmaid's stool or the sort of
common low household step might also be useful to sit on.

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's recipes:
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/FOOD.html

PS If you've never kept a SBC in the livingroom, you haven't lived.
When one girlfriend complained, I had a scrap V12 Jag block black-
chromed and mounted a glass plate on it, and replaced her in my
livingroom with this altogether more pleasing sculpture.
Old August 16th 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Aug 16, 3:10*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
On Aug 16, 7:00*am, DaveC wrote:

[...]

Peter has already made the crucial point about working at eye level.
You either have to raise the working parts of the bike to your eye
level or lower yourself *comfortably* to the bike's eye-level. If
you're cramped you hurry tricky jobs, if you can't see what you're
doing you wreck components and assemble things wrong, and so on.

Old August 17th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
N8N

On Aug 16, 10:10*am, Andre Jute wrote:

PS If you've never kept a SBC in the livingroom, you haven't lived.
When one girlfriend complained, I had a scrap V12 Jag block black-
chromed and mounted a glass plate on it, and replaced her in my
livingroom with this altogether more pleasing sculpture.

I ASSume that you've seen the picture of the Keith Black hemi block
used as the base of a coffee table?

nate
Old August 17th 09, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
DanKMTB

On Aug 17, 12:55*pm, N8N wrote:
On Aug 16, 10:10*am, Andre Jute wrote:

PS If you've never kept a SBC in the livingroom, you haven't lived.
When one girlfriend complained, I had a scrap V12 Jag block black-
chromed and mounted a glass plate on it, and replaced her in my
livingroom with this altogether more pleasing sculpture.

I ASSume that you've seen the picture of the Keith Black hemi block
used as the base of a coffee table?

nate

So I'm not alone in feeling that the living room is the correct place
to store my race motorcycle over the winter? Awesome.

DIY bike stands and repair stations DaveC Mountain Biking 11 August 17th 09 06:23 PM
DIY bike stands and repair stations Sir Ridesalot Techniques 1 August 16th 09 03:26 PM
DIY bike stands and repair stations TT Techniques 0 August 16th 09 07:42 AM
Bike repair stands D.M. Procida UK 26 November 7th 05 12:51 PM
Bike Repair Stands Ed General 22 September 10th 03 10:52 PM