New Problem on Multi-Use Paths--Masses of People Staring at theirPhones

Old July 18th 16, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Default New Problem on Multi-Use Paths--Masses of People Staring at their Phones

AE6KS

ahh liebo you spout elitist garbage...

the idea, beyond seling ad space next week....is engaging people to look see think feel....reason....discover.

I meet educated isolationists ...woefully behind on education.

the words of the prophets are...

Old July 18th 16, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 09:02:34 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 18:09:03 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Think of it as Darwin's theory in action, "a branching pattern of
evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in
which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the
artificial selection involved in selective breeding."

Natural selection doesn't work when the govenment supports mostly the
failures at the expense of the successful. Your purpose in life is to
consume, pollute, and over-populate. Failure to do any of these is
punished by society but aided by government.

The intelligent and alert of the species get to breed while the "Num
Nuts" don't. :-)

There are apps for the unintelligent and distracted:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=dating%20apps

The meek shall inherit the earth. I think they already have.

I don't think it is the meek. Herbert Spencer wrote:

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to
fill the world with fools."

Reading the Internet it seems Old Herbie may well have gotten it right
:-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 18th 16, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 18:21:47 -0700 (PDT), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
wrote:

AE6KS

ahh liebo you spout elitist garbage...

True. For you, I will (mostly) use words of fewer syllables so that I
will not tax your reading ability.

the idea, beyond seling ad space next week....is engaging
people to look see think feel....reason....discover.

Hardly. It's a secret plot by those conspiring to entice the GUM
(great unwashed masses) into getting some exercise, possibly for the
first time in their lives:
http://gizmodo.com/sore-legs-become-pandemic-as-pokemon-go-players-acciden-1783402931
http://health.usnews.com/wellness/articles/2016-07-11/pokemon-go-has-everyone-exercising

I meet educated isolationists ...woefully behind on education.

That's odd. I usually meet isolated educators, who are woefully
lacking any connection with reality.

the words of the prophets are...

mine.

Bicycle sales are booming:
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080325/jsp/frontpage/story_9054706.jsp

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 18th 16, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

We are parked across from SpaceX's launch pad clear sky bright moon on the water fresh cool breeze.

People walking looking at grey hand held rectangles.
Old July 18th 16, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

Think of it as Darwin's theory in action, "a branching pattern of
evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in
which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the
artificial selection involved in selective breeding."

Natural selection doesn't work when the govenment supports mostly the
failures at the expense of the successful. Your purpose in life is to
consume, pollute, and over-populate. Failure to do any of these is
punished by society but aided by government.

The intelligent and alert of the species get to breed while the "Num
Nuts" don't. :-)

There are apps for the unintelligent and distracted:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=dating%20apps

The meek shall inherit the earth. I think they already have.

I don't think it is the meek.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/meek
Something about a nation of sheep.

Herbert Spencer wrote:
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to
fill the world with fools."

Fools are another class of people that may not benefit from
protection. The same can be said for medicine, financial aid,
unemployment, killing bugs, etc. All we've done is created a
civilization full of medical liabilities, permanently impoverished,
perpetually unemployed/unemployable, super bugs, etc. However,
civilizations are judged somewhat on how they treat their
unfortunates. I don't think anyone wants to resurrect the Spartan
methods of improving the general health and welfare of the population.
So, we live with a subclass of fools etc, and only deal with the
problem when it becomes too expensive.

Reading the Internet it seems Old Herbie may well have gotten it right
:-)

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people
all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."
(Abraham Lincoln).
He was wrong. You can fool all the people all the time by simple
repetition. The internet and the advertising business have done a
wonderful job of proving that. All one needs to do is repeat the same
lies over and over and eventually they become facts. Eventually, the
sources become obscured by evolutionary repetition (where things
change slightly as they are repeated).

Shielding everyone from the effects of their own mistakes also has the
effect of causing people to become careless and reckless. I have
insurance so I can drive my car like a maniac. If I get hurt, someone
else will pay the bills. My credit card is insured so I don't need to
worry about security. All this creates more fools out of otherwise
normal people.

Much of this is based on the observation that people tend to trust
things they do NOT understand. If they know how something works or
operates, they tend to know its limitations and only trust it so far.
However, if the mechanisms and operations are completely unfathomable,
they will prefer to trust it, even though they are suspicious. Well,
that's a fair description of government, banks, stock market,
insurance, modern medicine, and most financial instruments. Trusting
something that one does not understand is my definition of a fool.

Old July 18th 16, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 19:00:31 -0700 (PDT), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
wrote:

We are parked across from SpaceX's launch pad clear
sky bright moon on the water fresh cool breeze.
People walking looking at grey hand held rectangles.

That's typical. Go to any ball game and look at the crowds. Many are
watching the game on smartphones and tablets. Allegedly, they get a
better "view" of what's happening on the field. I suspect they would
have been better off staying home.

However, this is just the beginning. Those people are maintaining
contact with their friends and associates wherever they may be. The
smartphone is the current way of doing that, but is terribly
inconvenient and somewhat dangerous. A better way would be to have a
brain implant which provides the necessary visual and aural
connections to the friends and associates. Just take the smartphone
out of the path and replace it with some transducers and
communications devices. Effectively, brain to brain communications.
Then, you can complain about zombies wandering the beach, staring off
into the distance, eyes fixated on nothing, and blithely walking into
one of Florida's famous sink holes.

Old July 18th 16, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

we know you as the saying goes better than that...

watching multiple goldenfoiled releases from the Xcam ....

on my handheld TV ..

finding immediate specs n diagrams while working ...

so goes okiemon ..
Old July 18th 16, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

? The Electrons defend the Castle ? .

Are you going to Cleveland ?
Old July 18th 16, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Contagion. .... we"re attacked by SpaceX and locals ... get out the mace...
Old July 18th 16, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 17/07/16 12:25, somebody wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 08:35:27 -0700, sms
wrote:

My wife uses the San Tomas Aquino Creek Trail
http://www.rhorii.com/STACT/SanTomasTrl.html which runs right by her
office.

It's usually very lightly used. During the past few days it has been
packed with scooters, pedestrians, skateboarders, cyclists walking their
bike, and hoverboarders. They are all intently staring at their phones
and madly swiping. She also has notices hordes of people walking around
the office park where she works, including them congregating outside her
window.

Not sure what the heck is going on here. Must be some new-fangled app on
these people's phone that makes them go outside, but not pay attention
to their surroundings.

Get a cheap bell. Or a horn. Those pump-up horns are loud enough.

My AirZound has claimed three phones :-)