Ambushed !

Old May 9th 20, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Ambushed !

I took precautions, varied my route and times, changed modes of
transport, thought I was safe, and BANG the BuyMe Monkeys came out of
deep cover. This;

http://larryvsharry.com/wp-content/u..._clockwork.png

Plus this

https://pendix.com/products/product/pendix-edrive300

So the mechanics are done, just in time for the rain, will add the
battery and sensors tomorrow.

Watch this space, or more likely, read about it in tomorrows papers...
Old May 9th 20, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Tosspot wrote:
I took precautions, varied my route and times, changed modes of
transport, thought I was safe, and BANG the BuyMe Monkeys came out of
deep cover. This;

http://larryvsharry.com/wp-content/u..._clockwork.png

Plus this

https://pendix.com/products/product/pendix-edrive300

So the mechanics are done, just in time for the rain, will add the
battery and sensors tomorrow.

Watch this space, or more likely, read about it in tomorrows papers...

OK, so the drive appears to be a flat motor that mounts on the left crank.
Where does the reaction torque from the motor apply to the frame? The
website is a bit vague on that.

Old May 9th 20, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/9/2020 8:53 AM, Tosspot wrote:
I took precautions, varied my route and times, changed modes of
transport, thought I was safe, and BANG the BuyMe Monkeys came out of
deep cover.Â* This;

http://larryvsharry.com/wp-content/u..._clockwork.png

Plus this

https://pendix.com/products/product/pendix-edrive300

So the mechanics are done, just in time for the rain, will add the
battery and sensors tomorrow.

Watch this space, or more likely, read about it in tomorrows papers...

What are your plans for that machine? How will you use it?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 9th 20, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/9/2020 5:53 AM, Tosspot wrote:
I took precautions, varied my route and times, changed modes of
transport, thought I was safe, and BANG the BuyMe Monkeys came out of
deep cover.Â* This;

http://larryvsharry.com/wp-content/u..._clockwork.png

Plus this

https://pendix.com/products/product/pendix-edrive300

So the mechanics are done, just in time for the rain, will add the
battery and sensors tomorrow.

Watch this space, or more likely, read about it in tomorrows papers...

Nice, but it cost more than an entire eBike. At Interbike, three years
ago, a Korean company announced a similar product but I never saw it
come to market.
Old May 9th 20, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 8:40:50 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/9/2020 8:53 AM, Tosspot wrote:
I took precautions, varied my route and times, changed modes of
transport, thought I was safe, and BANG the BuyMe Monkeys came out of
deep cover.Â* This;

http://larryvsharry.com/wp-content/u..._clockwork.png

Plus this

https://pendix.com/products/product/pendix-edrive300

So the mechanics are done, just in time for the rain, will add the
battery and sensors tomorrow.

Watch this space, or more likely, read about it in tomorrows papers...

What are your plans for that machine? How will you use it?

Around here, they're driven by crazy mothers with bucket-loads of kids. They're the bicycle version of triple-trailers on the highway. Gak. And some of those suckers really go fast.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 9th 20, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 09/05/2020 17:04, Ralph Barone wrote:
Tosspot wrote:
I took precautions, varied my route and times, changed modes of
transport, thought I was safe, and BANG the BuyMe Monkeys came out of
deep cover. This;

http://larryvsharry.com/wp-content/u..._clockwork.png

Plus this

https://pendix.com/products/product/pendix-edrive300

So the mechanics are done, just in time for the rain, will add the
battery and sensors tomorrow.

Watch this space, or more likely, read about it in tomorrows papers...

OK, so the drive appears to be a flat motor that mounts on the left crank.
Where does the reaction torque from the motor apply to the frame? The
website is a bit vague on that.

More than a bit vague. So what you get is a complete bottom bracket
cartridge with (I assume as a wire comes out of it) a torque sensor in
it. The RHS has a castellated (laterally) key which engages to the
shell on the motor. So the reaction torque goes to the BB mount and frame.

Old May 9th 20, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 09/05/2020 17:40, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/9/2020 8:53 AM, Tosspot wrote:
I took precautions, varied my route and times, changed modes of
transport, thought I was safe, and BANG the BuyMe Monkeys came out of
deep cover.Â* This;

http://larryvsharry.com/wp-content/u..._clockwork.png

Plus this

https://pendix.com/products/product/pendix-edrive300

So the mechanics are done, just in time for the rain, will add the
battery and sensors tomorrow.

Watch this space, or more likely, read about it in tomorrows papers...

What are your plans for that machine? How will you use it?

I've had the Bullitt for about 3 years now, and since I a) live in the
flatlands and b) don't own a car, it gets used for heavy shopping, BBQ
stuff, beers etc. However, age is no friend, and the practical limit
for me is about 20km round trip. Bullitts are *not* light. The
addition of a motor, just feeding in 50W or so should extend that range
to 100km, or far further than I would actually use it for, before I just
hire a car.

Old May 9th 20, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 09/05/2020 17:47, sms wrote:
On 5/9/2020 5:53 AM, Tosspot wrote:
I took precautions, varied my route and times, changed modes of
transport, thought I was safe, and BANG the BuyMe Monkeys came out of
deep cover.Â* This;

http://larryvsharry.com/wp-content/u..._clockwork.png

Plus this

https://pendix.com/products/product/pendix-edrive300

So the mechanics are done, just in time for the rain, will add the
battery and sensors tomorrow.

Watch this space, or more likely, read about it in tomorrows papers...

Nice, but it cost more than an entire eBike. At Interbike, three years
ago, a Korean company announced a similar product but I never saw it
come to market.

Yerrs, in way. For me, I had the Rohloff hub, cranks, handlebars, rims,
saddle. The frameset was a bit over a grand euro, call it 1500 to get
the Bullitt on the road[1]. The Pendix was 1500 again, call it 3 large.

Now before you say WTF! check out the price for an electric bullit with
a rohloff. Even if you can get one I reckon it will be north of 6 large.

[1] You be surprised how tyres, spoke for the wheel builds, grips and
**** add up.
Old May 9th 20, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/9/2020 10:52 AM, Tosspot wrote:

snip

Too fast if you ask me.Â* Even unloaded, with Magura MT5s, you can stop
both wheels going around and the rest is physics, even at 20kph type
speeds.Â* Get up to 25, load it up, and those brakes do ****all if you
grab a handful.

I've been using my trailer for cargo. With a $10 trailer hitch per bike
I prefer it to a cargo bike. Last time I used it was for delivering
masks to senior living facilities.
Old May 9th 20, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 6:41:18 PM UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:
[...]

I'm not so sure about 50W being good enough on anything steeper than very mild hills. It might do if you get a humongous battery with, to channel Jeremy "Many Torques" Clarkson, enough coulombs to deliver an instaneous 100W (which could be the peak output of a nominally 50W motor if you don't expect it to last forever) over several minutes. But my advice is generally that the 200W that was in the air from legislators at least in some countries a while ago is a bare minimum. You don't need to use it all the time (I regulate my electric motor by my heart rate) but if you have only 50W you'll probably be pushing on the steeper hills.

There's a reason that the best of the handlebar fascia's show the instantaneous demand on the battery most prominently.

Andre Jute
Mo' coulombs is betta coulombs