Your gearing is obsolete

Old June 11th 20, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Your gearing is obsolete

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 10:13:07 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2020 2:14 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 8:01:23 PM UTC+2, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 11 June 2020 11:53:41 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new
10~50 cassette!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

How does the weight of that 10-50 cassette compare to a three allow chainrings and a 7-speed or 8-speed steel cassette of 14-32?

Weight isn't the reason to come up with this kind of stuff. Get rid of the FD is.

Because it's SO difficult to move another lever?

--
- Frank Krygowski

No, to shift both levers at the same time. Another solution for that problem is synchronized shifting with Di2 system.

Lou
Old June 11th 20, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 11 June 2020 16:13:07 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2020 2:14 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 8:01:23 PM UTC+2, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 11 June 2020 11:53:41 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new
10~50 cassette!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

How does the weight of that 10-50 cassette compare to a three allow chainrings and a 7-speed or 8-speed steel cassette of 14-32?

Weight isn't the reason to come up with this kind of stuff. Get rid of the FD is.

Because it's SO difficult to move another lever?

--
- Frank Krygowski

No, because when rocketing down single track trails it's quite common to unship a chain when trying to shift chainrings.

Cheers
Old June 11th 20, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 9:35:56 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 11:13:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 7:23:34 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2020 11:53 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new 10~50 cassette!

50 teeth! Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when my 34 tooth biggest
cog was considered too small.

I'm getting a little out of date. I gotta catch up.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Ah, you give us a voucher to make fun of your dorky handlebar bag and all the other stuff you bolted to your bike one more time. Keep up the good work.

You are not a true utility cyclist. Be quiet. You probably wear a helmet, also known as a head-shackle.

-- Jay Beattie.

I'm certainly not a true utility cyclist. Hauling gallons of milk or crates of beer seems silly to me if you have a car on your driveway.

Lou
Old June 11th 20, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2020 2:14 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 8:01:23 PM UTC+2, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 11 June 2020 11:53:41 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new
10~50 cassette!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

How does the weight of that 10-50 cassette compare to a three allow
chainrings and a 7-speed or 8-speed steel cassette of 14-32?

Weight isn't the reason to come up with this kind of stuff. Get rid of the FD is.

Because it's SO difficult to move another lever?

It’s the extra maintenance etc, and equally I’m told that frame designs
benefit ie for full suspension MTB.

Personally I have 1-9 2-9 and 2-10, Triples yes can be a bit tedious, but
doubles effectively you use a hi/low range and don’t need to keep switching
rings often.

Don’t get me wrong the 1-9 is lovely on the commute no effort, but I’ve yet
to see a pressing reason to upgrade my other two bikes.

Roger Merriman

Old June 11th 20, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 8:01:23 PM UTC+2, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 11 June 2020 11:53:41 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new
10~50 cassette!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

How does the weight of that 10-50 cassette compare to a three allow chainrings and a 7-speed or 8-speed steel cassette of 14-32?

Weight isn't the reason to come up with this kind of stuff. Get rid of the FD is.

Because it's SO difficult to move another lever?

--
- Frank Krygowski

No, to shift both levers at the same time. Another solution for that problem is synchronized shifting with Di2 system.

I wonder if there's a discussion group where the two sides a

"You MUST have multiple chainrings because you MUST have the ability to
micro-adjust your cadence!"

vs.

"Being within 15% of the ideal gear is fine! You MUST be free of
shifting another derailleur!"

I'd be happy to just watch from the sidelines.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 11th 20, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/11/2020 4:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

That's interesting. The U.S. currently has an enthusiastic industry and
publicity machine saying we should build Netherlands-style bike paths
everywhere.

Why? Because then people will stop driving their cars!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 11th 20, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 18:06:54 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/11/2020 4:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

I seem to remember talk about an increase in cycling when the gasoline
price went sky high. Perhaps that is an easier solution than building
bicycle paths. Just raise the price of fuel :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 12th 20, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

On 6/11/2020 4:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

That's a large part of why bicycling is so popular in the Netherlands. Also you can bicycle between towns without having to go all that far. Here in a lot of North America in a lot of cases it's a LONG WAY between towns. take Ontario, Canada for example. You can fit France, Germany and the British Isles in that province. Granted a lot of it is uninhabited but especially in Mid-Northern Ontario there's quite a distance between towns.

Also, I don't think you'd like to bicycling the roads up there in the dead of winter.

Cheers
Old June 12th 20, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

On 6/11/2020 4:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

The biggest problem I see with bicycle paths is the LACK of infrastructure to bicycle to them.

I prefer to ride on the roads where at least there is modicum of obeying traffic laws unlike rail-trails or MUPs where everyone is doing whatever willy-nilly and often with complete disregard for others on those trails.

Cheers
Old June 12th 20, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On 6/11/2020 2:14 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 8:01:23 PM UTC+2, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 11 June 2020 11:53:41 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...le-comparison-

whats-the-difference-between-nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new 10~50
cassette!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

How does the weight of that 10-50 cassette compare to a three allow
chainrings and a 7-speed or 8-speed steel cassette of 14-32?

Weight isn't the reason to come up with this kind of stuff. Get rid
of the FD is.

Because it's SO difficult to move another lever?

--
- Frank Krygowski

No, because when rocketing down single track trails it's quite common to
unship a chain when trying to shift chainrings.

Shrug, then you just use your finger lifter.

Dynamos - obsolete? Jim Easterbrook UK 3 December 22nd 05 02:47 PM
Dynamos - obsolete? Tony B UK 1 December 22nd 05 11:55 AM
Dynamos - obsolete? Just zis Guy, you know? UK 1 December 22nd 05 12:40 AM
Dynamos - obsolete? Nigel Cliffe UK 0 December 21st 05 08:48 PM
Parts already obsolete? [email protected] General 68 September 24th 05 03:00 AM