A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Difference in Garmin Edge Models?

Old July 14th 20, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Difference in Garmin Edge Models?

On Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 12:24:54 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 8:59:32 PM UTC+2, wrote:
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Garmin Edge models? For instance - what is the difference between a 520 and a 530? I think that one of mine is an 830 and it has a lot of buttons on it and is a pain-in-the-butt to get working though the basic software appears to be the same thing. There are several probably Chinese copies some of which seem to have a better program and display as well as a longer battery life. But they don't connect to a Garmin mount and the one's they provide don't work for integrated bar/stem combos. The Garmins have absolutely terrible screen contrast and most of the time wearing sunglasses I can barely make out the speed leg alone the mileage. I will say that I really like the rear wheel placement of the speed and cadence mechanism I can't think of any possible worse position for a speed pickup that a front wheel But I may be biased since that is partially how I got my concussion.

The difference between the 5xx and the 8xx is touchscreen (8xx) or buttons (5xx). The 530 is the successor of the 520 as the 830 is of the 820.
The 'washed'out apperance of the screen is the result of the choice of the display. It is readable without backlight to save battery life. I too find the map hard to read when it is in the shadow of myself; the numbers I can always read. To improve contrast you can turn on backlight permanently. Myself I turn in on permanently on a 80% setting. In that modemy edge 1030 still has a battery life of around 6-8 hours (two rides). The colors are definitely not as bright as the display of your phone, but there is a reason that display turns off so quickly.

Lou

The model I have that is covered in buttons is a 705. The one with the touch screen is an 810. While I like the Garmin, there must be something a great deal easier to use.
Ads
Old July 15th 20, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 9:22:38 PM UTC+2, wrote:
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Garmin Edge models? For instance - what is the difference between a 520 and a 530? I think that one of mine is an 830 and it has a lot of buttons on it and is a pain-in-the-butt to get working though the basic software appears to be the same thing. There are several probably Chinese copies some of which seem to have a better program and display as well as a longer battery life. But they don't connect to a Garmin mount and the one's they provide don't work for integrated bar/stem combos. The Garmins have absolutely terrible screen contrast and most of the time wearing sunglasses I can barely make out the speed leg alone the mileage. I will say that I really like the rear wheel placement of the speed and cadence mechanism I can't think of any possible worse position for a speed pickup that a front wheel But I may be biased since that is partially how I got my concussion.

The difference between the 5xx and the 8xx is touchscreen (8xx) or buttons (5xx). The 530 is the successor of the 520 as the 830 is of the 820.
The 'washed'out apperance of the screen is the result of the choice of the display. It is readable without backlight to save battery life. I too find the map hard to read when it is in the shadow of myself; the numbers I can always read. To improve contrast you can turn on backlight permanently. Myself I turn in on permanently on a 80% setting. In that modemy edge 1030 still has a battery life of around 6-8 hours (two rides). The colors are definitely not as bright as the display of your phone, but there is a reason that display turns off so quickly.

Lou

The model I have that is covered in buttons is a 705. The one with the touch screen is an 810. While I like the Garmin, there must be something a great deal easier to use.

What do you find so difficult? Power up Edge, wait for GPS signal, start a ride, toggle between data screen and map screen, stop the ride, save the ride (or not), turn off Edge. Pretty basic.

Lou
Old July 15th 20, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 10:26:44 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 9:22:38 PM UTC+2, wrote:

Lou

What do you find so difficult? Power up Edge, wait for GPS signal, start a ride, toggle between data screen and map screen, stop the ride, save the ride (or not), turn off Edge. Pretty basic.

Lou

For one thing - the data screens are so small that I cannot see anything but speed and distance while riding. While there is a cadence readout I cannot read it underway and I can't find a average cadence which would be nice. Also toggling it on isn't exactly what you do - you push the start button and then the multidirectional switch changes screens in a manner that isn't very intuitive and with memory problems they should be intuitive and not "Gee remember this complicated way of doing things because our programmer is a putz.
Old July 19th 20, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]
external usenet poster

wrote:
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Garmin Edge models? For
instance - what is the difference between a 520 and a 530? I think that
one of mine is an 830 and it has a lot of buttons on it and is a
pain-in-the-butt to get working though the basic software appears to be
the same thing. There are several probably Chinese copies some of which
seem to have a better program and display as well as a longer battery
life. But they don't connect to a Garmin mount and the one's they
provide don't work for integrated bar/stem combos. The Garmins have
absolutely terrible screen contrast and most of the time wearing
sunglasses I can barely make out the speed leg alone the mileage. I
will say that I really like the rear wheel placement of the speed and
cadence mechanism I can't think of any possible worse position for a
speed pickup that a front wheel But I may be biased since that is
partially how I got my concussion.

The difference between the 5xx and the 8xx is touchscreen (8xx) or
buttons (5xx). The 530 is the successor of the 520 as the 830 is of the 820.
The 'washed'out apperance of the screen is the result of the choice of
the display. It is readable without backlight to save battery life. I
too find the map hard to read when it is in the shadow of myself; the
numbers I can always read. To improve contrast you can turn on backlight
permanently. Myself I turn in on permanently on a 80% setting. In that
modemy edge 1030 still has a battery life of around 6-8 hours (two
rides). The colors are definitely not as bright as the display of your
phone, but there is a reason that display turns off so quickly.

Lou

The model I have that is covered in buttons is a 705. The one with the
touch screen is an 810. While I like the Garmin, there must be something
a great deal easier to use.

Both are fairly old now, 2007/2013 in terms of use ability mainly due to
Wahoo making Garmin get off its arse.

In short the more modern units are quite a lot better, which ever maker
that happens to be.

Roger Merriman