More on CCFL, 26650, 18650, or 3AA

Old July 16th 20, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default More on CCFL, 26650, 18650, or 3AA

I also show people what NOT to do, i.e. the bungee cord plus Maglite
solution.

The person that posted this wisely took the photo down, but it lives on
in the web archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20181016104124/http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/bicycle-flashlight.html
Old July 16th 20, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 16:22:26 -0700, sms
wrote:

I also show people what NOT to do, i.e. the bungee cord plus Maglite
solution.

The person that posted this wisely took the photo down, but it lives on
in the web archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20181016104124/http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/bicycle-flashlight.html

You mean that a guy ties a flashlight to his own bicycle, apparently
in a manner satisfactory to him, for his own use, and he is to be
condemned for doing so?

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 16th 20, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

I also show people what NOT to do, i.e. the bungee cord plus Maglite
solution.

The person that posted this wisely took the photo down, but it lives on
in the web archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20181016104124/http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/bicycle-flashlight.html

You mean that a guy ties a flashlight to his own bicycle, apparently
in a manner satisfactory to him, for his own use, and he is to be
condemned for doing so?

--
Cheers,

John B.

Probably another of the 'capitalist roaders and running
dogs' as the Great Helmsman called us.

With only one afloat and three keels laid, how are the
chinese going to outdo our supercarrier fleet unless small
town mayors flog crappy chinese flashlights to the great
unwashed masses?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 16th 20, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

John B. writes:

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 13:00:02 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/15/2020 8:40 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 July 2020 04:54:01 UTC-4, Tosspot wrote:
On 15/07/2020 00:47, sms wrote:
After riding around with this light on my mountain bike/gravel bike I've
had several people ask me about this light and where to get it.

To make it easier to share the information I wrote up a little blurb on
it in a shared Google Docs document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17TCGXl9N0dD6wNhNHAyf-ZeEfZLp2uf6A4D40BTgZwo/

http://tinyurl.com/ccfl26650.

Looking at

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1000_.jpg

I would say that is dangerous anywhere near a public road.

Right on! Talk about overkill! SMS will in the future post an even brighter narrow beam light.

I'd hate to be riding towards anyone using that light at
night. Even a driver would probably be blinded by it.

Also, Scharf's post lacked the notice from his websites, "If you buy one
of these, please start from my site so I can get a commission," or words
to that effect.

BTW, I'm curious. Scharf touts his, um, elegant conduit clamp mount
instead of "highly breakable plastic." While I have properly designed
bike headlights bolted onto my bikes, I have friends who use plastic
mounted headlights on their handlebars. I've never heard of one of those
mounts breaking. Is that a common problem for those posting here?

Well, I did, for a while, use two hose clamps to mount lights but one
does have to be rather careful doing this as (1) normal metal hose
clamps tend to rust and (2) stainless clamps come in two flavors, and
only one type is all stainless and doesn't corrode.

I now use plastic mounts as it does solve the corrosion factor and
since the police now seem to use plastic for handcuffs and as
Americans now hardly ever seem to carry a "pocket knife" they are
probably secure against theft.

Do you really have a problem with Americans travelling to Thailand and
stealing bicycles? If so, I weep for my compatriots.
Old July 16th 20, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I don't think that they are going to bother.
Although it has been said before I doubt that the Chinese are going to
promote a war with anyone.It is far more costly than economic action.
After all, based on PPP it is the largest economy in the world and
likely to grow larger. In 2017 China was the largest exporter in the
world and it is growing, since 2008 China has produced more
automobiles than the U.S. and Japan combined.

And, it might be pointed out that China does it's part in supporting
the value of the U.S. dollar being the second largest holder of U.
S. debt in the world.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 16th 20, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

I also show people what NOT to do, i.e. the bungee cord plus Maglite
solution.

The person that posted this wisely took the photo down, but it lives on
in the web archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20181016104124/http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/bicycle-flashlight.html

Oh, be nice. You're probably still angry at me for suggesting that
your previous Amazon flashlight find used AAA cells instead of AA
cells. For what little it's worth, I'm not angry, just disappointed.
The least you could have done is given me appropriate photo credit.

I had to reorganize my web pile[1]. The new URL is:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/#bicycle-flashlight.jpg
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/bicycle-flashlight.jpg

Please note that my mounting technique will work with any make, model,
style, and size of flashlight. The mount is also economical,
ergonomic, does not scratch the handlebars, and provides a fairly soft
surface to crash into when attempting to fly over the handlebars. It
can also be converted into an improvised sling shot for defense
against aggressive oncoming riders with megalumen headlights. The
Maglite can also be easily removed and reporposed into a riot batton.
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jun/15/the-new-horsemen-why-american-riot-police-embraced-the-bicycle
I suggest you reconsider your review of my flashlight mounting method.

[1] I've been using JAlbum for displaying photos for about 7 years
without upgrading to the latest version:
https://jalbum.net
I've had problems, but nothing serious. However, I ran into a minor
problem that was fixed in a later version, so I upgraded to the
latest. When I used the new version to rebuild my photo album, it
left me with a large number of empty directories, and no photos. Oops.

What happened was I had missed the notice to not save the album HTML
code in the same directory as the source directly for the photos. In
my never humble opinion, this should have been possible, but since I
ignored the warning, it was deemed to be my fault. So, I had to
restructure everything. That would have been easy, except the skin
(template) that I was using to create the albums had died long ago and
didn't work with the latest version. So, I grabbed the least
disgusting skin (template) and reorganized and rebuilt the albums. 200
MBytes of uploading on a slow DSL line, and I was back in business, or
so I thought.

The problem was that the album and photo URL's also changed with the
new skin (template). All the links to the old web pages wouldn't
work. I could build a redirection database, but that could wait until
I first check if there were any complaints. That was 3 months ago,
and this is the first time anyone has complained or pointed to
archive.org. Since this also proves that nobody reads my web pages or
cares enough to complain, I elected to leave things alone. My
apologies for any inconvenience caused by this problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 16th 20, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 15/07/2020 00:47, sms wrote:
[...]

Well, no. I was writing primarily for a U.S. audience as that seems to
be most of the posters here. No, Americans that come to Thailand and
commit crimes are actually fairly rare and their "crimes" seem mostly
to be drug related.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 16th 20, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/15/2020 10:35 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Please note that my mounting technique will work with any make, model,
style, and size of flashlight. The mount is also economical,
ergonomic, does not scratch the handlebars, and provides a fairly soft
surface to crash into when attempting to fly over the handlebars. It
can also be converted into an improvised sling shot for defense
against aggressive oncoming riders with megalumen headlights.

Hear hear!

[...]

And that's a major gripe about softwa It's soft. It's easily
changeable, and sometimes even changed without warning.

"Hey! We just made our software BETTER, so nothing you've been doing
will work the same way! Have fun figuring it all out! But when you do,
we'll change it again!"

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 16th 20, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

I also show people what NOT to do, i.e. the bungee cord plus Maglite
solution.

The person that posted this wisely took the photo down, but it lives on
in the web archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20181016104124/http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/bicycle-flashlight.html

Oh, be nice. You're probably still angry at me for suggesting that
your previous Amazon flashlight find used AAA cells instead of AA
cells. For what little it's worth, I'm not angry, just disappointed.
The least you could have done is given me appropriate photo credit.

I forgive you for doubting me. Glad you now understand about the
diameter of AA batteries.

I would have credited you but I thought that you had taken down that
photo since the original link didn't work. I thought that you were
didn't want anyone to know about that kluge and that you had taken my
advice and fabricated a proper mount and acquired a proper, shorter,
flashlight for your bicycle.
Old July 16th 20, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 10:01:26 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/15/2020 10:35 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Please note that my mounting technique will work with any make, model,
style, and size of flashlight. The mount is also economical,
ergonomic, does not scratch the handlebars, and provides a fairly soft
surface to crash into when attempting to fly over the handlebars. It
can also be converted into an improvised sling shot for defense
against aggressive oncoming riders with megalumen headlights.

Hear hear!

Also, the mounting technique is also secure thanks to my use of the
Gordian Knot (patent pending) method of attachment, which is
invulnerable to attack by anything less than a sharp sword:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordian_Knot
Each installation is individually tangled, so no two are the same,
adding to the security of the mounting technique. Best of all, there
is no key required to unlock the knot.

And that's a major gripe about softwa It's soft. It's easily
changeable, and sometimes even changed without warning.

That's also the major benefit of software. With software updates, a
company can ship broken software, and fix it later. In some cases,
they don't even need to test the software before shipping. Instead,
they rely on customer feedback to identify a problem, and contrive a
quick fix in the next update. While this results in even more broken
software on initial shipment, the problems are usually fixed with the
first wave of updates. Where this goes wrong is when the company
decides that fixing their products after about 5 years of updates
competes with the sales of new products and simply stops issuing
updates. While I don't like being screwed by manufacturers in this
manner, the opposite extreme of offering a lifetime warranty would
bankrupt most companies. (I worked for one company that offered a
life time warranty. 15 years later, we were still doing free warranty
repairs for our very first radios). Therefore, a number must be set
for how long a product should be expected to be supported. 5 years is
barely tolerable for computer products, but is tolerable because most
(not all) computer hardware and software become generally obsolete
after about 5 years. However, a bicycle and bicycle related
accessories should last a lifetime, not 5 years. I would think 10 or
more years would be the minimum for adult bicycles and accessories.

"Hey! We just made our software BETTER, so nothing you've been doing
will work the same way! Have fun figuring it all out! But when you do,
we'll change it again!"

Think of software as a learning experience. When we stop learning,
improving, and progressing, we rot and die. In my case, I simply
adapted to the software changes, and did my minimal best at damage
control.

Note that my domain name is "LearnByDestroying.com".

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D