Noisy bottle dynamo - is there any maintenance I can do?

Old July 24th 20, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Noisy bottle dynamo - is there any maintenance I can do?

On Thursday, December 20, 2001 at 3:28:25 PM UTC-8, Henry Law wrote:
I checked the FAQ and the Google archive without finding very much
about dynamos (which surprised me), so here goes my first post to
rec.bicycles.tech ...

My wife's bike (gash, heavy traditional touring bike about twenty
years old) has a tyre-driven dynamo which consists of an aluminium
bottle-shaped body with, at the top of the "neck", a knurled wheel
which rubs on the tyre; connections to the lights come out of the
bottom of the bottle. By way of maker's marks there is just a "U",
plus stuff about being made in Germany, but my review of newsgroup
postings suggests that it's a "bottle dynamo", possibly made by Union?

There are two problems with it: (1) it makes a noise like an air-raid
siren when in use (only a slight exaggeration); (2) it adds enough
resistance (says my not-unfit wife) to turn the machine into an
exercise bicycle. Power output is fine, though. I have an identical
unit on my bike, which is much quieter and adds only a little
resistance.

I've taken the "bottle" off, undone the only visible nut, securing the
knurled wheel in position, and done the usual sort of cleaning and
greasing, without obvious effect.

Is there any other maintenance I can do on the thing that might cure
the problem?
--
Henry Law
I used to be

Manchester, England but I had to move because of spam

There are methods as Andrew mentioned but those bottle generators are extremely inefficient. Hub generators are where it's at. Look at this which is dirt cheap and you would have to have it built into a wheel which would still make it cheap.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nukeproof-G...AOSwunhfGeZ O
Old July 25th 20, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/24/2020 4:42 PM, wrote:
[...]

Bottle generators are lower efficiency than typical hub generators (AKA
dynamos) but if properly installed, they are fine. This well-known
article
http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/dynotest.html
says, in part, "All of the generators were easier to turn than riding up
a 1 in 300 slope. Another way of putting that is a rise of 18 feet per
mile; and there's quite a cluster of sidewall and hub-driven models
around the 1/500 line, or 10 ft per mile. If that's a hill I'm a Dutchman!"

I've got bottle generators on a couple bikes, ones that I normally don't
ride at night. The drag is barely noticeable when they're on. And they
make up for that by having absolutely zero drag when off, unlike hub dynos.

Hub generators are where it's at. Look at this which is dirt cheap and you would have to have it built into a wheel which would still make it cheap. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nukeproof-G...AOSwunhfGeZ O

That's got a catchy name - "Generator" - but AFAICT that's just a hub,
not a dynamo. It doesn't generate any electricity.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 25th 20, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nukeproof-G...b/324238672050

That's got a catchy name - "Generator" - but AFAICT that's just a hub,
not a dynamo. It doesn't generate any electricity.

I thought that might be the invention of the seller, but was
apparently contrived by the manufacturer:
http://nukeproof.com/products/hubs/

The eBay $10 price, plus $8.25 shipping, is the starting price for an
auction and not the "buy it now" price. Retail price is about $42:
http://www.groupbikes.com/products/Nukeproof-Generator-Front-Hub-%252d-15mm%252dQR-2016.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 25th 20, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

That is really odd - why would you call it a generator hub if there was no generator in it? There are plenty of generator hubs on the market such as Shimano Alfine S501 which is 3 watts at 6 volts. This would easily drive REALLY bright LED head and taillights.
Old July 25th 20, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

You ask why?

[raises hand] Marketing!

c.f. Communist front named 'BLM', another successful example
of 3 card monte.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 25th 20, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Now we get some propaganda from SRS and Kragowski
Old July 26th 20, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 10:46:44 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 15:52:11 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

You ask why?

My guess(tm) is someone at NukeProof coined the term due to a
defective understanding of the English language. They then discovered
that it sold quite well, which seemed like a good reason to not change
the name. I'm sure the FTC will be happy to write NukeProof a polite
letter indicating that this might be false and deceptive advertising.
However, since few buyers bother to file a complaint, the likelihood
of the FTC demonstrating a profit enforcing the complaint due to
collection costs from China, and nobody at NukeProof can read English,
I suspect the legal approach will go nowhere, or already has gone
nowhere.
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/truth-advertising
https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

After being educated in American public schools, too few people know how to write a letter of complaint.
Old July 26th 20, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 13:51:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

No problem. The FTC will gladly help you craft a letter of complaint.
"How to write an effective complaint letter"
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2015/09/how-write-effective-complaint-letter
There are even sample complaint letters available that can be
plagerized:
https://www.usa.gov/complaint-letter
As a victim of the American educational system, I highly recommend you
try complaining about some of the things you've posted in a bicycle
specific newsgroup. It might be a useful skill for after you're
released from the re-education camp for treason, sedition,
crime-think, or failing to agree with whomever is in power.

However, the problem is not just a letter of complaint. I suspect
that the real problem is that there are too few people who are able to
write anything worth reading. I try to answer questions in a few of
the technical newsgroups. Many of the questions posted are impossible
to answer with the information given and are vague, ambiguous, and
incoherent. Many are one line questions with no details. Some are
devoid of any useful numbers. I suspect a few were intentionally
edited to remove any and all specific and useful information. It's
likely that anyone who cannot properly frame a technical question,
might also be unable to compose a letter of complaint.

Old July 27th 20, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/26/2020 4:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

Those who actually graduate from high school write better letters.

True story: I recently had a minor surgical procedure. Things did not go
as planned. Despite being scheduled for 9 AM, my work was delayed at
least an hour and a half. And there were other problems causing more
delay, such as a nurse making a mistake and requiring critical equipment
to be re-sterilized.

I did write a letter of complaint. The response? Not only a personal
phone call with sincere apologies from the hospital president, but I
spent about 45 minutes on a conference call with that president and two
department supervisors to understand how things went wrong.

When asked, I gave them permission to use my letter in future training
sessions.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 27th 20, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 2:51:25 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

In the technical news groups on-line I have noted that there are a number of the "enlightened" that answer all of the questions and they quite obviously don't know what they're talking about and attack anyone that replies with the correct answer. So I've given up on most of them. I'm not saying "MY" answers since I've watched others getting the same treatment.

dynamo lights with switches and bottle dynamo/generators Keiron[_4_] Techniques 12 September 18th 09 10:30 AM
Hub or Bottle dynamo? Agzee UK 53 August 15th 07 07:53 AM
AXA HR bottle dynamo connector charles UK 6 August 3rd 07 09:23 PM
Hub dynamo maintenance [email protected] UK 5 April 8th 06 06:55 AM