Jeff Liebermann -- Are You O.K.?

Old August 22nd 20, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Jeff Liebermann -- Are You O.K.?

Yikes. https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/21/us/ca...rnd/index.html Not Big Basin! Damn.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 22nd 20, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/22/2020 8:15 AM, jbeattie wrote:
Yikes. https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/21/us/ca...rnd/index.html Not Big Basin! Damn.

-- Jay Beattie.

I suspect that he's had to evacuate. IIRC he lives in Ben Lomond.
Old August 22nd 20, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Saturday, August 22, 2020 at 8:15:59 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
Yikes. https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/21/us/ca...rnd/index.html Not Big Basin! Damn.

-- Jay Beattie.

The natural ecology of Redwood Forests were to burn down pretty often from lightning ignited fires. Redwood bark is pretty fireproof so the fall rains would trigger rapid regrowth of the limbs and needles.
Old August 22nd 20, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, August 22, 2020 at 8:25:19 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, August 22, 2020 at 8:15:59 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
Yikes. https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/21/us/ca...rnd/index.html Not Big Basin! Damn.

-- Jay Beattie.

The natural ecology of Redwood Forests were to burn down pretty often from lightning ignited fires. Redwood bark is pretty fireproof so the fall rains would trigger rapid regrowth of the limbs and needles.

And burn out the undergrowth, etc., but that's not much comfort. That was a neat park and held many fond memories -- like years of the Big Basin Mini-Challenge -- a scant 100K ride, but tons of climbing. One year I broke a Phil BB the day before the ride, rushed over to the shop for a replacement and then fixed my bike only to have the car -- my GF's old VW bug -- go belly up. So I got up early the next morning and rode my bike from Los Gatos and did a few thousand feet of climbing to get to the climbing. I was exhausted by the end of that ride.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 22nd 20, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/22/2020 11:39 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I also hope Mr Liebermann is safe, sound and well.

Did you get a good night's sleep in Portland?
https://twitter.com/BGOnTheScene/sta...70154097659904

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 22nd 20, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, August 22, 2020 at 11:06:29 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Yes, a very good night's sleep. It finally cooled down, and we even got a little rain. I'm hoping it drowns the moles that have infested by front yard..

Those marchers were about he https://tinyurl.com/y6zldnkb Keep scrolling down the street. That's one of the many former trolley stop neighborhoods in North Portland -- once a ghetto and now gentrified or in the process. It's not far from historic Vanport and the old shipyards. It's probably taking heat for gentrification. BTW, this was a peaceful protest, albeit noisy -- or so Twitter says. I wouldn't trust Andy Ngo as far as I could throw his corpulent body.

With all the attention on Portland, I feel sorry for the cities that are really on fire -- like much of California.

Go to Trumps 2016 nomination acceptance speech. He could just recycle that.. Cities on fire . . . chaos in the streets . . . dogs and cats, living together, etc., etc. I fully expect to see the close ups of the two square block area of downtown Portland tagged by the protesters. Portland is on fire! Antifa take-over!

For all I know, the second-shift damage is being done by Patriot Prayer or Boogaloo Boys or disaffected business owners shut down by COVID looking for a way to tap their business property policies. The first two are conspiracy theories, but from my desk at work, I'm starting to wonder about the third.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 23rd 20, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/22/2020 9:39 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

When I worked for a Taiwanese company someone organized a camp-out at
Big Basin. My GF and I decided to ride, fully loaded with camping gear,
from Campbell to Big Basin. On the way back the next day we let someone
carry our gear for us. 236 is not a fun ride, narrow with poor pavement
condition.

The buildings can be rebuilt. Supposedly most of the trees will survive
but it's too soon to know.

If only California had followed the advice of the world's foremost
expert on forests, Donald Trump, and had swept the floors of the
forests, " I said, you gotta clean your floors, you gotta clean your
forests"vhttps://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2020/08/20/trump-blames-california-for-wildfires-tells-state-you-gotta-clean-your-floors-1311059.
Old August 23rd 20, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 06:31:10 -0700, sms
wrote:

[...]

Well, obviously if "cleaning the floors" is a good idea then federal
funds should be made available.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 26th 20, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

[...]

I managed to find my friend who used to live in the burn area. He previously moved to a trailer in a park in Santa Cruz so that he could commute to work via bike but he sounds like he's getting old. And he must be 10 years younger than me.

I am hoping the Jeff is OK as well.
Old August 29th 20, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 08:15:57 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

Yikes. https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/21/us/ca...rnd/index.html Not Big Basin! Damn.

-- Jay Beattie.

Thanks for asking. I'm ok and my house in Ben Lomond is ok. The fire
burned to within 1500 ft of my house. My house is the blue marker:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/CZU-Fire/Jackson%20Ave%202020-08-29.pdf
I haven't seen it yet. I expect everything to be covered with a thin
layer of ash. The area is being slowly "repopulated". I expect to be
back home in a few days.

Presently, I've been evacuated. I setup housekeeping in my formerly
palatial office in Santa Cruz.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/CZU-Fire/Office-2020-08-29.jpg
I had given the landlord notice and was scheduled to be out of the
office before Aug 31. The office was almost empty when I arrived.

I've been spending most of my time keeping track of the fire, posting
explanations of how things work to neighbors on Nexdoor.com, acting as
self appointed public info officer, and making some rather bad
predictions. Some accumulated info links at:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/CZU-Fire/
Water might become a problem. Too soon to tell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijMv6hk1Zc

My office is next to the San Lorenzo River. At one point, it was
decided that the fire might enter the city via the brush growing in
the river. Unlikely, but possible if the winds and very hot weather
continued. It was therefore possible that the area around my office
would be evacuated. That meant that I had my car loaded, packed, and
ready for a quick escape to parts unknown with minimal notice. At one
point, the fog trapped the smoke from the fire in the adjacent river
canyon. It was awful, so I went to Costco and bought a Winix C535 air
purifier. That helped.

My apologies for not posting a status report earlier. I simply didn't
think of doing it. I was very busy, very tired, and only sleeping
about 5 hrs per night. There were days when I was on my smartphone
and computer all day. The stress was also causing me to make far too
many mistakes and bad decisions. For example, I left the windows open
at my house (it was hot) and now expect to return to a house full of
ash and dust.

Drivel: It's amazing that a large number of residents didn't think of
calling their home telephone answering machine to see if their house
still had phone and power service, which is a good indication that the
house is likely to be intact. I had to repeat this suggestion many
times.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

RR: NJ Jeff Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 2 September 17th 06 01:42 PM
Thanks Jeff [email protected] Racing 6 September 5th 06 07:44 PM
Thank You Jeff Jones Steady Rollin' Man Racing 1 September 25th 05 03:59 PM
Nice, Jeff Morgan Fletcher Racing 1 June 16th 05 09:56 PM
Thanks jeff Bill C Racing 5 March 22nd 05 02:44 PM