Helmet Article

Old August 29th 20, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Helmet Article

On 8/28/2020 5:00 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 9:10:21 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I've ridden without a helmet for many, many years. Your permission isn't
required.

My concern is the bull**** helmet promoters sling and the resulting
discouragement of bicycling.

So your problem is discouragement of bicycling. Why is that a problem? I went for a ride 2 days ago in a what we call a storm. It was very quiet on the road. I like that when the hordes of E bikers stayed home because of the weather.

IIRC, you live in Netherlands, a land famous for its cycling mode share.

If you feel there is too much cycling in the Netherlands, you should be
working to reduce it. Perhaps you are? Perhaps that is behind your
position on helmets?

I live in a land infamous for its dependence on automobiles. Unlike what
I saw in the Netherlands, we have very little cycling, and even less
transport cycling. Most Americans have no grocery or hardware store
within miles of their home. There is very little public transport. Many
commercial areas are so car dependent that it's impractical to walk from
one store to another.

I think this is bad for society in general. It seriously disadvantages
those who can't afford a car, and those too young or too old to drive.
It consumes vast amounts of resources and produces large amounts of
pollution. But people won't ride a bike three blocks to a store, mostly
claiming "it's too dangerous." Which is fear mongering bull****.

If that doesn't matter to you, simply stop reading threads that discuss
it. Why is that hard for you?

It is not hard. Most of the time I do but when you need a slap in the face to come to your senses I'll be here.

Have a nice weekend.

Wow, you sound manly and intelligent! Who could argue with such - um -
logic?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 29th 20, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 3:44:31 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 12:52:25 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 12:39:48 PM UTC-7, Ted Heise wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 07:58:15 -0700 (PDT),

It's enough to make your head spin!

I simply cannot imagine why people that know nothing about these things want to argue about them. You can find my paper on-line about it and I have at least read the Swedish Academy reasoning which is little to no reasoning in my opinion. I have looked into the Bontrager design and they ADMITTED that the MIPS adding quite a bit to the price of the helmet made no additional benefit in their tests.

But people like Jay apparently thinks that anyone smart enough to write an article in a magazine MUST be smarter than the people who have studied the matter.

Magazine? Try peer reviewed medical journals. This is old news. Everyone who has studied the matter concluded that rotational acceleration of the brain causes TBI. There is no right-wing conspiracy alternate universe on this one. You are utterly alone in your opinion -- and if you think not, post an article that says rotational TBI doesn't exist. MIPS may be marketing, and it may not -- but the condition it is attempting to address is real. In fact, it was a real problem with boxing headgear. They dampened direct blows, but gloves stick to them and spin the boxer's head around. https://www.mdedge.com/neurology/art...amateur-boxers

-- Jay Beattie.

Take your bull**** elsewhere. In case you're unaware of it, your skull is mounted atop of your neck and it was theorized that it was the rotational forces of a blow that caused concussion. This was shown to be entirely incorrect by the football head butts that caused severe and/or progressive concussion damage. What concussions are caused by is a severe deceleration of the head period. Moderate the deceleration and you have NO concussion.
Old August 30th 20, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 3:16:02 PM UTC+1, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 28.08.2020 um 15:45 schrieb Andre Jute:
But cycling is much more dangerous than flying or speedboat
incidents; you aren't generally surrounded in the air or on the ocean
by neurotic soccer moms in huge SUVs.

So you're saying a few onces of plastic are able to protect you from
huge SUVs?

Yo, dingbat, I didn't say anything like it. You said it, so you defend it. Did you say it because you are a) not as practised in English as your glib nastiness leads us to believe or b) because you're stupid or c) because, incredibly, you didn't realise I said it to rile up the anti-helmet zealots like you?

My protection against Range Rovers is the one I trashed into an insurance write-off in front of the Post Office after its owner put me on the sidewalk.. It's like an aura.

I ride the small peaceful lanes, where everyone knows me. I have zero fear of dying in a motor/bicycle incident. I've had reconstructive surgery on my face, and I don't fancy another round, so I wear a helmet because it keeps road rash off my face. Is that okay by you? And if it isn't, you know what you can do with your opinion.

In Turkey, almost every driver has a magical eye hanging in their car;
I'm sure thet say this magical eye also protects them from huge SUVs.

So? Maybe those Turks receive a subconscious impulse to caution from those magical eyes and, if you're ever driven in Turkey, you'll know that even a marginally more cautious Turk is one less likely to kill you with his car. If you haven't driven in Turkey, why are you talking about a place you haven't been to?

Andre Jute
Isn't this Rolf Mantel the same fellow with an unquestioning, self-confessed *faith* in Darwinian evolution despite the questions raised by the teasing out of the DNA genome -- who then bragged of a PhD in *mathematical modelling*. Makes you wonder, with logic like his, how he manages to reconcile two such irreconcilable concepts.
Old August 30th 20, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 7:39:58 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/28/2020 9:15 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 28.08.2020 um 15:45 schrieb Andre Jute:
But cycling is much more dangerous than flying or speedboat
incidents; you aren't generally surrounded in the air or
on the ocean
by neurotic soccer moms in huge SUVs.

So you're saying a few onces of plastic are able to protect
you from huge SUVs?

In Turkey, almost every driver has a magical eye hanging in
their car; I'm sure thet say this magical eye also protects
them from huge SUVs.

Magic Eye because the umma eschew St Christopher medals.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

My supervisor for my dissertation had an interest in parapsych. He and I skived off for months on funding from my girlfriend's family family foundation, studying Zulu witchdoctors (I was a blood brother to an important Zulu family, which got us in), concluding that their effects are achieved by subliminal suggestion (knowledge that I later turned into cash in advertising). Anyway, when I wanted to skive off in the States, where I'd been an exchange student in a prep school, and later an undergrad, he fixed me up with a stint under Dr Rhine, who said of the way I could arrange data to make sense, "Andre doesn't have to believe in chance. He's a Calvinist. His place was reserved at birth. He even has his own certified ghost." It's true: our house was the scene of a gruesome double murder in the 1890s, when an elderly rich man shot his young wife and her lover and put the bodies in the storage box under the window seats (the walls were about five feet thick) and where they desiccated. Their ghosts walked from the front of the house to the back every night; we could hear them but there was nothing to see. As boys we strung twine across the passage and put out glasses of water, and when we became desperate at the lack of evidence, we put my rock python (a constrictor natalensis over 17 feet long) out to sleep in the passage in the hope that the ghosts would stumble across it, and when it whipped itself around them, which it was inclined to do when surprised, even when it wasn't hungry, we would hear their cries. Unfortunately the only one the snake caught was my father coming in unexpectedly from the city, and he wasn't pleased; the snake was banned to the stables where it had to share its accommodation with my molesnake, on which it other looked down as a lesser breed, which one day it ate as an aperitif. So. On account of being a Calvinist, who suffers only serendipitous accidents, I don't need St Christopher, but I can quite understand the force Turks might ascribe to a magic eye -- and Christians to St Christopher, for that matter. When a young lady of my acquaintance compiled a book of angel prayers, I dropped a dime on her to line her up with a reputable London publisher and a hoity-toity pal from the high arts said, "You should be bloody-well embarrassed, Andre. Angel prayers!" I said, "Maybe some day I need those angels to pray for me." My wife told me later that angel prayers aren't angels praying, they're prayers people make to angels. I'm glad I'm not a Catholic; far too complicated for me.
Old August 30th 20, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Frank-boy Krygowlsi appears to enter these helmet articles on the principle of "last man standing" after he bored us to death. Can't have that. -- AJ

On Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 8:40:08 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-new...g-concussions/

It isn't clear to me why they would cry MIPS which really has no significant effect in a crash. They would have to add a cross motion to their testing procedure to even detect it.