What's new in Italy

Old August 30th 20, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default What's new in Italy

On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 12:50:17 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/29/2020 2:31 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 1:33:24 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/28/2020 2:39 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 11:41:39 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/28/2020 10:16 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, August 27, 2020 at 10:35:08 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2020/08/20/pat...-buttons-more/

Maybe the bicycle industry should start paying Lance Armstrong a commission - his demand for an additional climbing gear on his 8 speed and the wannabes immediate copying his ideas and buying entirely new groups started a preposterous trend in cycling that only idiots could miss. With an 8 speed you could have all of the gears you needed and you only had to shift once between gears to get where you needed to be. With my 10 speeds I had to make two or three shifts to get to the proper gear and with my 11 speed you spend all of your time shifting and still can't find the right gear without changing into the small ring and going the other way through the cogs.

Latecomer.
Eddy Merckx was an early advocate of Six rather than
everyone else's mere Five.

Well, my feeing is that increasing the number of speeds was useful up to 8 which gave you access to all of the speeds a sports rider would need And you could tell that increasing the number of speeds didn't do much because after that point, sports riders would be shifting two, three or more times on just normal rides. Yesterday I put in a 45 mile ride with 2500 feet of climbing and shifted three times.

Why Eight?

Why not four? Plenty enough for il Campionissimo!

Why not old fashioned Eleven? Twelve is just incrementally
different with a ****ant 9% more selections. Five freewheels
offered a huge 25% more choice than Four!

What's so special about Eight?

It is a case of the power width that can be developed by the human body.. You have to have gears close enough together that you stay within that zone but wide enough apart that you're not paying for useless gears that are only of use to a professional racer who can use 1/10th greater power via slightly higher casence. I can't use that and I doubt most others can. And probably most Pro racers cannot either.

That's not universal at all. Depends on your particular
route and riding style, in that suitable gearing to your
mountainous area is overly wide for much of Illinois.

13.14.15.16.17 Regina Scalare Six suited Mr Merckx for many
events by the way.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

And if you watch old Eddy walk now you can see the price he paid for it.
Old August 30th 20, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 8/28/2020 11:52 PM, Dennis Davis wrote:
In article ,
Mark J. wrote:

Why Eight?

Why not four? Plenty enough for il Campionissimo!

Why not old fashioned Eleven? Twelve is just incrementally different
with a ****ant 9% more selections. Five freewheels offered a huge 25%
more choice than Four!

What's so special about Eight?

Well, eight *is* a perfect number.

Nope, not according to the wiki[1]. Six is a "perfect number" and
the next perfect number is twenty-eight.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_number

Yup, you got me. The retraction I posted shortly thereafter should be
on this group. [Embarrassed!]

Mark J.

Old August 30th 20, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Mark J. wrote:

Why Eight?

Why not four? Plenty enough for il Campionissimo!

Why not old fashioned Eleven? Twelve is just incrementally different
with a ****ant 9% more selections. Five freewheels offered a huge 25%
more choice than Four!

What's so special about Eight?

Well, eight *is* a perfect number.

Nope, not according to the wiki[1]. Six is a "perfect number" and
the next perfect number is twenty-eight.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_number

Yup, you got me. The retraction I posted shortly thereafter should be
on this group. [Embarrassed!]

Mark J.

That is nothing more than a word game. Perfect numbers have no real use in mathematics. Before complex mathematics was developed they studied numbers as if in them they could find the meaning of Life, The Universe and Everything if you'll forgive my demanding "fair use".
Old August 30th 20, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/29/2020 6:17 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Merckx at 75 years old would be sprinting like a teenager if
only eight speed had come earlier? WTF?

Old August 30th 20, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 8:27:44 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/28/2020 2:12 PM, Hank wrote:
On Thursday, August 27, 2020 at 10:35:08 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2020/08/20/pat...-buttons-more/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

This almost looks to me like it's trying to accomplish something similar to Croce d'Aune's "twin axle" RD. Am I off-base?

Did you mean Chorus A/B for Syncro?
Yes I think this is a further thought from that inception.

Notes:
1. The CHR A/B offered two angles of the parallelogram but
required a wrench to change positions:

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...=108&AbsPos=44

2. Concurrent Cd'I and ATH changers had a ratcheted stop
inside the top pivot rather than a B-screw. Again, changing
that angle required a wrench.

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...=108&AbsPos=32

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Still, whatever the thingy in the photo at the link is, it's a thing of beauty. -- AJ
Old August 31st 20, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 8:23:46 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Maybe you forget that I'm 75 years old and just did another 1800 feet of climbing and 35 miles this morning. I can't stand very well but it sure isn't for bad knees. Have you been watching the Tour? Chris Horner and Bob Roll both look older than me and they're at least a decade younger.

Greylock In Italy B. Lafferty Racing 21 May 20th 06 09:58 AM
Cycling to italy peacock suit UK 2 August 22nd 05 03:35 PM
from italy to china Cavolo! Rides 0 April 26th 05 01:23 PM
From Italy to china Cavolo! Mountain Biking 0 April 26th 05 01:20 PM
italy here i come!! evilewan Unicycling 14 June 28th 04 01:01 PM