Urgent real HUB question

Old September 5th 20, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Urgent real HUB question

I bought a set of DIY wheels about 4-5 years ago. They have a Novotec F482SB
rear hub. Currently it was on a 10 spd Shimano cassette. I want to put an 11 spd shimano on the hub. When I first tired it seem not wide enough cassette would not fit. Then I took back off and carefully stacked with proper spacers. Then I got the 11 cog to get close to sitting on the assembly. I managed then to actually get the lock ring to tighten down and cassette on.

My concern is maybe this was only a 10 spd hub capacity. Novotec made 10 and 11 I believe, how do you tell the difference? If I can get it on does that mean it is an 11 speed? If it was only a 10 would I not be able to get the cassette on the hub fully engaged. I am in the middle of this and sure hope some expert out here knows?

Deacon Mark
Old September 5th 20, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:
I bought a set of DIY wheels about 4-5 years ago. They have a Novotec F482SB
rear hub. Currently it was on a 10 spd Shimano cassette. I want to put an
11 spd shimano on the hub. When I first tired it seem not wide enough
cassette would not fit. Then I took back off and carefully stacked with
proper spacers. Then I got the 11 cog to get close to sitting on the
assembly. I managed then to actually get the lock ring to tighten down and cassette on.

My concern is maybe this was only a 10 spd hub capacity. Novotec made 10
and 11 I believe, how do you tell the difference? If I can get it on does
that mean it is an 11 speed? If it was only a 10 would I not be able to
get the cassette on the hub fully engaged. I am in the middle of this and
sure hope some expert out here knows?

Deacon Mark

I saw this video a few days ago. It may give you some insight.

https://youtu.be/9Ar2zQDvAAc

Old September 5th 20, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 1:55:25 PM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Ok I clean the cassette better and reinstalled and this time I get the same amount of left over as my other 11 speed hub. It fairly easily engaged the locknut and I tighten it up per usual. I think it probably is an 11 speed hub as there was a space on the 10 sp cassette in back I took off. So tell though just be sure that I am still ok. My OCD will kick in and I am just wonder if any danger. Also to add some good news when I put the wheel on being a completely different wheel it required absolutely no derailleur adjustment between wheels shifted perfect. That does not happen at least too often usual a bit of fiddle needed. That further tells me but I still open for being wrong.

Deacon Mark