A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Fires and smoke

Old September 7th 20, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Fires and smoke

We have an Earthquake here yesterday. A 3.4 which means it was a bit noisy for a second.

I did my 25 miler that has some really difficult climbing yesterday. I'm still 150 miles short of 3,000 miles, but I did pass 100,000 feet of climbing..

I've been riding the Colnago since I stole the Garmin mount of the Emonda after the plastic cheapo mount broke on the FIRST ride. You absolutely have to have an aluminum mount. Plastic simply cannot stand the strain of the bumps in the roads around here. The replacement for it should come in tomorrow. I also think that in the unbearable heat of today I will try to do 99% of the wiring on the Lemond. I'm still missing one wire but I should have most of them installed and only need to install the lead from the terminal block to the battery when it comes in as well.

One interesting feature is that when I went up and bought parts from Team CCC, the wires which they had for sale were for bar-end controller. This suggests to me that these bikes fall down and break those controllers often enough that they are no longer installed on bar ends but in the side of the downtube. The advertisements for that controller do mention they can be used that way but I haven't seen any up close. But CCC had an entire pile of the "in-bar" wiring and no bar end controllers.

The 6880 setup I had actually required a special external battery mount. So I had bought three of them trying to discover the correct one before I got one that worked. So that left me with two of the latest one's that work fine with my 9000 setup on the Lemond.

Now that I have both the Trek and the Colnago shifting set up like the Dura Ace came (which is different from the manual that Jay published) shifting has become far more automatic and without thinking.
Ads
Old September 7th 20, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Fires and smoke

On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 10:28:44 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
We have an Earthquake here yesterday. A 3.4 which means it was a bit noisy for a second.

I did my 25 miler that has some really difficult climbing yesterday. I'm still 150 miles short of 3,000 miles, but I did pass 100,000 feet of climbing.

I've been riding the Colnago since I stole the Garmin mount of the Emonda after the plastic cheapo mount broke on the FIRST ride. You absolutely have to have an aluminum mount. Plastic simply cannot stand the strain of the bumps in the roads around here. The replacement for it should come in tomorrow. I also think that in the unbearable heat of today I will try to do 99% of the wiring on the Lemond. I'm still missing one wire but I should have most of them installed and only need to install the lead from the terminal block to the battery when it comes in as well.

One interesting feature is that when I went up and bought parts from Team CCC, the wires which they had for sale were for bar-end controller. This suggests to me that these bikes fall down and break those controllers often enough that they are no longer installed on bar ends but in the side of the downtube. The advertisements for that controller do mention they can be used that way but I haven't seen any up close. But CCC had an entire pile of the "in-bar" wiring and no bar end controllers.

The 6880 setup I had actually required a special external battery mount. So I had bought three of them trying to discover the correct one before I got one that worked. So that left me with two of the latest one's that work fine with my 9000 setup on the Lemond.

Now that I have both the Trek and the Colnago shifting set up like the Dura Ace came (which is different from the manual that Jay published) shifting has become far more automatic and without thinking.

Well, it was still far too hot to work down in the garage today so I will put off the wiring to another day.
Old September 8th 20, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default Fires and smoke

On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 3:25:09 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:

I did my 25 miler that has some really difficult climbing yesterday. I'm still 150 miles short of 3,000 miles, but I did pass 100,000 feet of climbing.

The 6880 setup I had actually required a special external battery mount.. So I had bought three of them trying to discover the correct one before I got one that worked. So that left me with two of the latest one's that work fine with my 9000 setup on the Lemond.

Well, it was still far too hot to work down in the garage today so I will put off the wiring to another day.

Not to start talking about boring bike stuff, but I've been on a bike cleaning and tune-up jihad and had troublesome, poor shifting Di2 on my Synapse. It was hanging up in the middle of the cassette. I checked the derailleur hanger, which was a little bent from that crash I had around New Years, and straightening that helped a little -- not not a ton. I adjusted the trim over and over which helped a little. The chain was worn somewhere between .5% and .75%, so I figured a new chain was in order (I have a nice stock of 11sp chains), so I threw one in. It works almost perfectly but still hesitates on a couple of gears in the middle of the cassette -- which probably means the cassette is a little worn, or its something I hadn't considered.. Electronic shifting is not immune from the usual wear and adjustment issues.

Next I need to clean the Norco gravel bike, and then my commuter which is abandoned in a corner.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 8th 20, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default Fires and smoke

On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 4:48:45 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

Not to start talking about boring bike stuff, but I've been on a bike cleaning and tune-up jihad and had troublesome, poor shifting Di2 on my Synapse. It was hanging up in the middle of the cassette. I checked the derailleur hanger, which was a little bent from that crash I had around New Years, and straightening that helped a little -- not not a ton. I adjusted the trim over and over which helped a little. The chain was worn somewhere between .5% and .75%, so I figured a new chain was in order (I have a nice stock of 11sp chains), so I threw one in. It works almost perfectly but still hesitates on a couple of gears in the middle of the cassette -- which probably means the cassette is a little worn, or its something I hadn't considered. Electronic shifting is not immune from the usual wear and adjustment issues.

Next I need to clean the Norco gravel bike, and then my commuter which is abandoned in a corner.

-- Jay Beattie.

And further to my last, all the fires in California -- and some in Oregon -- have turned the skies dark around here. I can barely breathe, and my eyes are stinging. It really look apocalyptic outside. No view beyond a few hundred yards.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 8th 20, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Fires and smoke

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 17:16:41 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

Not to start talking about boring bike stuff, but I've been on a bike cleaning and tune-up jihad and had troublesome, poor shifting Di2 on my Synapse. It was hanging up in the middle of the cassette. I checked the derailleur hanger, which was a little bent from that crash I had around New Years, and straightening that helped a little -- not not a ton. I adjusted the trim over and over which helped a little. The chain was worn somewhere between .5% and .75%, so I figured a new chain was in order (I have a nice stock of 11sp chains), so I threw one in. It works almost perfectly but still hesitates on a couple of gears in the middle of the cassette -- which probably means the cassette is a little worn, or its something I hadn't considered. Electronic shifting is not immune from the usual wear and adjustment issues.

-- Jay Beattie.

And further to my last, all the fires in California -- and some in Oregon -- have turned the skies dark around here. I can barely breathe, and my eyes are stinging. It really look apocalyptic outside. No view beyond a few hundred yards.

-- Jay Beattie.

And the news here has it that the California fires were caused by
fireworks set off at a "Gender Reveal Party"

Re GRP I read that "The moment you learn the sex of your baby is
magical. Share it with friends and family by hosting an epic reveal
party"
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 8th 20, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

Default Fires and smoke

On 9/7/2020 7:52 PM, John B. wrote:
wrote:

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

party"

Yes there are idiots causing accidents. Then again:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=california...st&t=h_&ia=web

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old September 8th 20, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Fires and smoke

jbeattie wrote:
We have an Earthquake here yesterday. A 3.4 which means it was a bit
noisy for a second.

I did my 25 miler that has some really difficult climbing yesterday.
I'm still 150 miles short of 3,000 miles, but I did pass 100,000 feet of climbing.

I've been riding the Colnago since I stole the Garmin mount of the
Emonda after the plastic cheapo mount broke on the FIRST ride. You
absolutely have to have an aluminum mount. Plastic simply cannot stand
the strain of the bumps in the roads around here. The replacement for
it should come in tomorrow. I also think that in the unbearable heat
of today I will try to do 99% of the wiring on the Lemond. I'm still
missing one wire but I should have most of them installed and only
need to install the lead from the terminal block to the battery when
it comes in as well.

One interesting feature is that when I went up and bought parts from
Team CCC, the wires which they had for sale were for bar-end
controller. This suggests to me that these bikes fall down and break
those controllers often enough that they are no longer installed on
bar ends but in the side of the downtube. The advertisements for that
controller do mention they can be used that way but I haven't seen any
up close. But CCC had an entire pile of the "in-bar" wiring and no bar end controllers.

The 6880 setup I had actually required a special external battery
mount. So I had bought three of them trying to discover the correct
one before I got one that worked. So that left me with two of the
latest one's that work fine with my 9000 setup on the Lemond.

Now that I have both the Trek and the Colnago shifting set up like the
Dura Ace came (which is different from the manual that Jay published)
shifting has become far more automatic and without thinking.
Well, it was still far too hot to work down in the garage today so I
will put off the wiring to another day.

Not to start talking about boring bike stuff, but I've been on a bike
cleaning and tune-up jihad and had troublesome, poor shifting Di2 on my
Synapse. It was hanging up in the middle of the cassette. I checked
the derailleur hanger, which was a little bent from that crash I had
around New Years, and straightening that helped a little -- not not a
ton. I adjusted the trim over and over which helped a little. The
chain was worn somewhere between .5% and .75%, so I figured a new chain
was in order (I have a nice stock of 11sp chains), so I threw one in.
It works almost perfectly but still hesitates on a couple of gears in
the middle of the cassette -- which probably means the cassette is a
little worn, or its something I hadn't considered. Electronic shifting
is not immune from the usual wear and adjustment issues.

Next I need to clean the Norco gravel bike, and then my commuter which
is abandoned in a corner.

-- Jay Beattie.

And further to my last, all the fires in California -- and some in Oregon
-- have turned the skies dark around here. I can barely breathe, and my
eyes are stinging. It really look apocalyptic outside. No view beyond a few hundred yards.

-- Jay Beattie.

We went through that a couple of years ago in British Columbia. It took way
too long for the sky to be recognizable again, but you got really
spectacular sunsets.

Old September 8th 20, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Fires and smoke

John B. wrote:
wrote:

We have an Earthquake here yesterday. A 3.4 which means it was a bit
noisy for a second.

I did my 25 miler that has some really difficult climbing yesterday.
I'm still 150 miles short of 3,000 miles, but I did pass 100,000 feet of climbing.

I've been riding the Colnago since I stole the Garmin mount of the
Emonda after the plastic cheapo mount broke on the FIRST ride. You
absolutely have to have an aluminum mount. Plastic simply cannot
stand the strain of the bumps in the roads around here. The
replacement for it should come in tomorrow. I also think that in the
unbearable heat of today I will try to do 99% of the wiring on the
Lemond. I'm still missing one wire but I should have most of them
installed and only need to install the lead from the terminal block
to the battery when it comes in as well.

One interesting feature is that when I went up and bought parts from
Team CCC, the wires which they had for sale were for bar-end
controller. This suggests to me that these bikes fall down and break
those controllers often enough that they are no longer installed on
bar ends but in the side of the downtube. The advertisements for that
controller do mention they can be used that way but I haven't seen
any up close. But CCC had an entire pile of the "in-bar" wiring and
no bar end controllers.

The 6880 setup I had actually required a special external battery
mount. So I had bought three of them trying to discover the correct
one before I got one that worked. So that left me with two of the
latest one's that work fine with my 9000 setup on the Lemond.

Now that I have both the Trek and the Colnago shifting set up like
the Dura Ace came (which is different from the manual that Jay
published) shifting has become far more automatic and without thinking.
Well, it was still far too hot to work down in the garage today so I
will put off the wiring to another day.

Not to start talking about boring bike stuff, but I've been on a bike
cleaning and tune-up jihad and had troublesome, poor shifting Di2 on my
Synapse. It was hanging up in the middle of the cassette. I checked
the derailleur hanger, which was a little bent from that crash I had
around New Years, and straightening that helped a little -- not not a
ton. I adjusted the trim over and over which helped a little. The
chain was worn somewhere between .5% and .75%, so I figured a new chain
was in order (I have a nice stock of 11sp chains), so I threw one in.
It works almost perfectly but still hesitates on a couple of gears in
the middle of the cassette -- which probably means the cassette is a
little worn, or its something I hadn't considered. Electronic shifting
is not immune from the usual wear and adjustment issues.

Next I need to clean the Norco gravel bike, and then my commuter which
is abandoned in a corner.

-- Jay Beattie.

And further to my last, all the fires in California -- and some in
Oregon -- have turned the skies dark around here. I can barely breathe,
and my eyes are stinging. It really look apocalyptic outside. No view
beyond a few hundred yards.

-- Jay Beattie.

party"

They certainly nailed the “epic” part.

Old September 8th 20, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster

Default Fires and smoke

wrote:

And further to my last, all the fires in California -- and
some in Oregon -- have turned the skies dark around here.

View from GEOS-17 of smoking California on Labor Day afternoon.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/CZU-Fire/20202511851_GOES17-ABI-psw-GEOCOLOR-1200x1200.jpg
Notice how a small area around Santa Cruz county has no smoke, while
everything around it is smoky. The white stuff off the San Diego
coast is fog, not smog.

The smoke can be views after the sun rises. Start at:
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/index.php
Select an area of interest. Then select any size image in the
GeoColor box.

I can barely breathe, and my eyes are stinging.

Non-surgical face mask helps a little. 3m "dust" mask with P100
filters are better.

Eye drops help.
https://www.allaboutvision.com/eye-care/wildfire-smoke-and-vision/
For the sore throat, I use Hall's cough drops (lemon flavored). What
really bothers me is the mild headache from breathing the CO (carbon
monoxide) mixed with the smoke. My best fix seems to be breathing
some clean air. If desperate, I've taken nitroglycerin or Isosorbide
Mononitrate ER pills, which are prescription vasodilators I take for
improving blood flow. Fortunately, I haven't had any angina symptoms,
just headaches:
https://health.ny.gov/environmental/outdoors/air/smoke_from_fire.htm

I also bought a Winix C535 Air Purifier at Costco for about $120.
Looks like Costco is out of stock, but does have the C545 (with Wi-Fi
controls):
https://www.costco.com/winix-true-hepa-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wi-fi-and-additional-filter.product.100662892.html
It will only clean the air in one 360 sq-ft room at a time. During my
12 day evacuation experience, I had trouble sleeping because of the
smoke and strange smells. The air purifier made it possible to sleep.

It really look apocalyptic outside. No view beyond a few hundred yards.

Same with the election. The view beyond November is rather hazy.

-- Jay Beattie.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Old September 8th 20, 07:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default Fires and smoke

On Tuesday, 8 September 2020 01:34:05 UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
wrote:

And further to my last, all the fires in California -- and
some in Oregon -- have turned the skies dark around here.

View from GEOS-17 of smoking California on Labor Day afternoon.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/CZU-Fire/20202511851_GOES17-ABI-psw-GEOCOLOR-1200x1200.jpg
Notice how a small area around Santa Cruz county has no smoke, while
everything around it is smoky. The white stuff off the San Diego
coast is fog, not smog.

The smoke can be views after the sun rises. Start at:
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/index.php
Select an area of interest. Then select any size image in the
GeoColor box.

I can barely breathe, and my eyes are stinging.

Non-surgical face mask helps a little. 3m "dust" mask with P100
filters are better.

Eye drops help.
https://www.allaboutvision.com/eye-care/wildfire-smoke-and-vision/
For the sore throat, I use Hall's cough drops (lemon flavored). What
really bothers me is the mild headache from breathing the CO (carbon
monoxide) mixed with the smoke. My best fix seems to be breathing
some clean air. If desperate, I've taken nitroglycerin or Isosorbide
Mononitrate ER pills, which are prescription vasodilators I take for
improving blood flow. Fortunately, I haven't had any angina symptoms,
just headaches:
https://health.ny.gov/environmental/outdoors/air/smoke_from_fire.htm

I also bought a Winix C535 Air Purifier at Costco for about $120.
Looks like Costco is out of stock, but does have the C545 (with Wi-Fi
controls):
https://www.costco.com/winix-true-hepa-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wi-fi-and-additional-filter.product.100662892.html
It will only clean the air in one 360 sq-ft room at a time. During my
12 day evacuation experience, I had trouble sleeping because of the
smoke and strange smells. The air purifier made it possible to sleep.

It really look apocalyptic outside. No view beyond a few hundred yards.

Same with the election. The view beyond November is rather hazy.

-- Jay Beattie.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

How well would a decent gas mask work?

Cheers