Want info on Colnago bike

Old October 21st 05, 03:38 PM
Eddie Nosdtromo

Default Want info on Colnago bike

I just bought a used Colnago frame with Campy components through Ebay.
This my first Campy equiped bike. The Colnago uses SLX conic steel, the
shifters are on the downtube. The rear brake cable travels inside the
top tube. All the tubing is round with the exception of the downtube. It
is fluted. The seller told me that it is dated 1992.

The components seem much older. There is no model (record, athena, etc.)
designation anywhere. The brakes are side pull but are bolted together
using regular hex shaped bolt heads (very few allen wrench fittings).
Although the brake hoods have holes on the top to accomodate the travel
of the cables, the cables have been directed under the handlebar tape.
The brake handles don't seem to work as crisply as I thought they would
but everything is filthy with layers of old grease and dirt. I will know
better once I clean everything up. The freewheel is a six speed. It
seems to me that, at best, the Campy componentry is early 1980s vintage.
I have a 1976 bike equipped with Dura Ace and those components look on a
par with this Colnago's Campy.

Can anyone tell me the years that Colnago used SLX conic steel on their
framesets?

Can anyone tell me, based on the limited description above, what the
approximate years for the components are?

I live in Colorado. Peter Chisolm, if you are reading this, would you
mind if I brought the bike up to Vecchio's. Perhaps you could tell me if
the frame is worthy enough for newer components.

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance. Ed
Old October 21st 05, 05:32 PM
David L. Johnson

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:38:25 +0000, Eddie Nosdtromo wrote:

[...]

Yeah, the components sound older. Pictures? The frame, with the "fluted"
tube, would probably be newer, and '92 does not seem out of line. He or
someone probably replaced the frame, but used the old components.

6-speed and hex-head bolts suggests old to me. I have Campy brakes from
the '70s like that, and even they have hex-nuts to attach to the frame.

Can anyone tell me, based on the limited description above, what the
approximate years for the components are?

Pictures? Posted to some website?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
(_)/ (_) |

Old October 22nd 05, 02:42 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Eddie Nosdtromo wrote:
[...]

Be happy to, bring it in anytime, we do this sort of thing all the
time. SLX left Colnagos lineup in the early 90s if I remember. I'll
bet, from your description of the brakes, that it is C-Record from
1985-ish to early 90s, but bring it in and show it to any of the three
of us.

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance. Ed

Old October 22nd 05, 02:45 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

David L. Johnson wrote:

6-speed and hex-head bolts suggests old to me. I have Campy brakes from
the '70s like that, and even they have hex-nuts to attach to the frame.

First gen C-Record, from 1984, were 'Colbato' but single pivot brakes
stayed around with Campag until late 80s with Victory. Also 5/6/7/8s fw
compatible until 1990/1 or so when Campag finally relaized 'click'
shifting was here to stay.

Hidden arm for the crank? Can see only 4 crank arms when you look at it/

Old October 23rd 05, 03:18 PM
Eddie Nosdtromo

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in
oups.com:

Hidden arm for the crank? Can see only 4 crank arms when you look at it/

No, I can see all 5 arms. I'll bring it by when I get a chance. Thanks,
Ed