Ultegra rear derailleur

Old October 22nd 05, 10:21 AM
Sasha

Default Ultegra rear derailleur

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if I can replace my Ultegra 9-speed RD-6500 rear
derailler (which violently broke at its pivot point causing me to crash, but
thats another story) with a new RD6600 10 speed unit? Can I continue to use
same chain, cluster etc.

Also, what is the difference between long and short cage deraillers? Long is
for trple cranks I gather?

Regards,

Sasha

Old October 22nd 05, 10:30 AM
GPLama

Can anyone tell me if I can replace my Ultegra 9-speed RD-6500 rear
derailler (which violently broke at its pivot point causing me to crash,
but
thats another story) with a new RD6600 10 speed unit? Can I continue to
use
same chain, cluster etc.

I picked up a brand new RD6600 on ebay for AUD$59 to my door the other
week... yet to install it on the trainer bike tho (9 speed).. I'm guessing
it wont be an issue..

Also, what is the difference between long and short cage deraillers? Long

is
for trple cranks I gather?

Yep.

cheers,
GPL

Old October 22nd 05, 10:49 AM
Sasha

59 bucks delivered! Wow, why cant I find deals like that.

Thanks for the info.

Sasha

. ..

Old October 22nd 05, 02:32 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Sasha (nospam) wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if I can replace my Ultegra 9-speed RD-6500 rear
derailler (which violently broke at its pivot point causing me to crash, but
thats another story) with a new RD6600 10 speed unit? Can I continue to use
same chain, cluster etc.

Also, what is the difference between long and short cage deraillers? Long is
for trple cranks I gather?

Regards,

Sasha

Yes, use a '10s' rear der w/o problem or modification. Asamatteroffact
6600 rear ders are gonna be the only one available soon, like 6600
hubs.

Long cage is a place to put the extra chain for a triple so as to
safely use all ring and cog combos w/o breaking anything.

Old October 22nd 05, 02:33 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

GPLama wrote:
Can anyone tell me if I can replace my Ultegra 9-speed RD-6500 rear
derailler (which violently broke at its pivot point causing me to crash,
but
thats another story) with a new RD6600 10 speed unit? Can I continue to
use
same chain, cluster etc.

I picked up a brand new RD6600 on ebay for AUD$59 to my door the other
week... yet to install it on the trainer bike tho (9 speed).. I'm guessing
it wont be an issue..

What's 59 Aussie bucks in US bucks?

Old October 22nd 05, 02:55 PM
Sasha

Around $44.00 based on todays exchange rate. Road bike parts are generally
much more expensive in Oz than the US though.

Sasha

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 23rd 05, 11:56 AM
rdk

The best place to find answers to compatibility are Shimano's
compatibility charts: see link
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...atibility.html

and click on the rear drive chart

Cheers RDK

Old October 23rd 05, 07:35 PM
David

In article , Sasha
wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if I can replace my Ultegra 9-speed RD-6500 rear
derailler (which violently broke at its pivot point causing me to crash, but
thats another story) with a new RD6600 10 speed unit? Can I continue to use
same chain, cluster etc.

Wow, you're the third person I heard breaking the Ultegra RD-6500 at
the pivot point.. I heard and witness one actually broke right in
front of me during a 10% intense fast climbing session. The other was
a Shimano 105 rear.

Anyhow, a real derailleur doesn't care what speed you're running at as
long as it is a right match. So, a 10 would work with your 9 speed no
problem.

Also, what is the difference between long and short cage deraillers? Long is
for trple cranks I gather?

Choosing the right cage depends upon how low a gear you are running the
rear cassette on. A long cage would work better if you are planning to
use a 32 to 34 with a triple, although you can arbitarily push a short
cage to do this if you don't plan on being in such a low gear for too
long and you don't cross-shift! A long cage would also be benefical if
you are always cross shifting -- using a granny front with a 11 on the
back or vice versa with a 52 and a 34. However, doing these will
undoubtly shorten the lifespan of your rear derailleur, especially on
those pivot points.

David.
Old October 24th 05, 11:27 PM
Sasha

"David" wrote in message
hoo.dsafds.com...
In article , Sasha
wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if I can replace my Ultegra 9-speed RD-6500 rear
derailler (which violently broke at its pivot point causing me to crash,

but
thats another story) with a new RD6600 10 speed unit? Can I continue to

use
same chain, cluster etc.

Wow, you're the third person I heard breaking the Ultegra RD-6500 at
the pivot point.. I heard and witness one actually broke right in
front of me during a 10% intense fast climbing session. The other was
a Shimano 105 rear.

Interesting. My derailleur was a bit over a year old. As a result of the
derailler breaking my chain got sucked behind the rear cog and wrecked all
the spokes on one side of the rear wheel, not to mention damaging the frame
and beautiful paintwork on my orange Orbea. I have sent the wheel for
repair, an will be speaking to a Shimano rep tommorrow about if and how
Shimano will be assisting with repairs and parts replacement. I suspect
Shimano will resist taking responsibility. Anyone here dealt with Shimano
Australia in a similar case and what was the result?

Regards,

Sasha

..

David.

Upgrade to Triple Rear Derailleur [email protected] Techniques 17 February 8th 05 11:41 PM
Rear derailleur "A-Tension" adjustment [email protected] Techniques 2 December 22nd 04 06:34 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
double vs. triple rear derailleur Dan Daniel Techniques 3 November 25th 03 02:36 PM