Pres Bush describing "progress" in China (bikes vs cars)

Old August 13th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ted

Default Pres Bush describing "progress" in China (bikes vs cars)

On Aug 11, 2:13 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
In an interview with Bob Costas during the Olympics, President Bush was contrasting China today vs his first visit back in 1976... back then, everybody rode bicycles.
So progress in China is measured by the near-elimination of bicycles as a form of transportation, replaced by cars and smog that's unbelievably-bad (as seen during coverage of the Olympic men's road race).

I admit to making a possibly-incorrect assumption though- that assumption being that air pollution is actually worse today than it was in 1976. We didn't hear about serious air pollution in China back then, but then again, we didn't hear that much about China at all back in the day.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Hey Mike:

You do realize that Mr. Bush meant that the Chinese populace are
more wealthy now and have enough disposable cash to afford
automobiles. He did not mean that they are better off now that their
air is even worse than it used to be. In his mind the increased wealth
indicates a better economy.

I won't get into my opinion of the commies.

Ted.

Old August 13th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Ted wrote:

snip

I won't get into my opinion of the commies.

Yeah, try to find a commie in China.
Old August 13th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson[_2_]

On Aug 12, 3:22*pm, Barry Harmon wrote:

The best thing Nixon ever did was to stop his operatives from contesting
the 1960 election results in Cook County, Illinois.

Mind-bender. Might never have gotten involved in Vietnam (or to a
much lesser extent), AND Kennedy would have been around to serve in
'64 or more likely '68. Crazy to contemplate...
Old August 13th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Shawn[_4_]

Bill Sornson wrote:
On Aug 12, 3:22 pm, Barry Harmon wrote:

The best thing Nixon ever did was to stop his operatives from contesting
the 1960 election results in Cook County, Illinois.

Mind-bender. Might never have gotten involved in Vietnam (or to a
much lesser extent), AND Kennedy would have been around to serve in
'64 or more likely '68. Crazy to contemplate...

And if Bill Clinton had said "Yeah I did her, jealous?" We would be
saying goodbye to Al Gore after his second term and fretting over a $12
budget deficit this year, the first in a decade... Pointless to
contemplate though.

Shawn
Old August 14th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Shawn wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
On Aug 12, 3:22 pm, Barry Harmon wrote:

The best thing Nixon ever did was to stop his operatives from contesting
the 1960 election results in Cook County, Illinois.

Mind-bender. Might never have gotten involved in Vietnam (or to a
much lesser extent), AND Kennedy would have been around to serve in
'64 or more likely '68. Crazy to contemplate...

And if Bill Clinton had said "Yeah I did her, jealous?" We would be
saying goodbye to Al Gore after his second term and fretting over a $12
budget deficit this year, the first in a decade... Pointless to
contemplate though.

Notice the decline in standards. JFK was humping Marylin Monroe, while
Clinton settled for blow jobs from a modestly attractive intern.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old August 14th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

SMS aka Steven M. Scharf wrote:
Ted wrote:

snip

I won't get into my opinion of the commies.

Yeah, try to find a commie in China.

There have never been any real {small "c") communists in the post 1949
Chinese government. The system they adopted should have been called
Leninism - command economy with a ruling political class.

True communism has never been tried in modern industrial society.

Old August 14th 08, 08:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:58:31 -0700 (PDT), John Kane
wrote:

On Aug 11, 8:13*pm, (It's Chris) wrote:
You must remember that Bush is of the "Big Business (especially Big Oil,
in his case) Anti Environment Party. So naturaly the reduction of
bicycles would be seen as positive progress in his eyes.

I find it really hard to believe sometimes that it was really the same
political party that created the National Park service in the first
place for the preservation of nature.

What went wrong?

Printer's error. About 1950 both the Republicans and the Democrats
used the same printer for all their stationary, busness cards etc. An
early computer error (Blown vaccum tube) caused the spell checker to
reverse the party names in the print runs

When the parties got their new stationary it was cheaper just to agree
to change the names then to reprint the stationary. Most people never
noticed the difference.

Sounds plausible.
--
zk
Old August 14th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

Printer's error. About 1950 both the Republicans and the
Democrats used the same printer for all their stationary,
busness cards etc. An early computer error (Blown vaccum
tube) caused the spell checker to reverse the party names
in the print runs

When the parties got their new stationary it was cheaper just
to agree to change the names then to reprint the stationary.
Most people never noticed the difference.

Sounds plausible.

=v= Yes. Eerily plausible.

=v= Of course, by the time James Watt got into power, he had no
compunction about wasting taxpayer dollars on changing the seal
of the Department of the Interior, which depicted a buffalo
facing leftwards. He turned it into a right-leaning buffalo.
Naturally, this meant buying a whole lot of new stationery,
and you can bet the farm that he didn't recycle the old stuff.
_Jym_