How many wristbands?

Old April 27th 05, 10:25 PM
bbaka

Cheto wrote:
"bbaka" wrote in message

I meant the stupid, inbred, Texan in the White House. No person that
lacking in brains should ever be able to become President.
Here I go with that word again, but there should be a minimum IQ to be
eligible to even run, and he would have been culled.
Bill Baka

Just be thankful there's no minimum IQ requirement for posting here.

Cheto

You made it.
Touche.
Bill Baka
Old April 28th 05, 01:07 AM

Maggie wrote:

OK, so now, Along with my yellow one for Cancer, and my pink one for
Breast cancer, I will have a red one for MS with the word HOPE on it.

As the father of a teenager with MS, I thank you from the bottom of my
heart for purchasing that wristband, fad or not. And I have seen the MS
Society's financial statements. The percentage of that dollar that goes
to research and programs benefiting PWMS is quite high.

Bill

-----------------------------------
| We must be the change we seek. |
| --Mohandas K. Ghandi |
-----------------------------------
Old April 28th 05, 01:46 AM
Maggie

As the father of a teenager with MS, I thank you from the bottom

of my
heart for purchasing that wristband, fad or not. And I have seen the

MS
Society's financial statements. The percentage of that dollar that

goes
to research and programs benefiting PWMS is quite high.

Bill

Thank you. I am glad I bought the band, and I am glad I will be riding
the 25 miles. This post gives me the incentive I need to finish the 25
mile ride.

All good things,
Maggie

Old April 28th 05, 03:10 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
catzz66 wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

My hubs are more accurate. They say KULT.

The only bracelet you ever need:

http://www.livewrong.net

Lance, er, doesn't like it:

http://www.nyvelocity.com/content.php?id=226
(scroll down to the 4/6 entry)

Some things that people think are funny are just lost on me. I am
personally not a fan of Lance either, but I would not wear anything like
the livewrong stuff. To me it looks like somebody just trying to make a
buck off of cancer, whether you think it's funny or not.

Right. Gotta watch out for that despicable pro-cancer lobby.

It's important to keep some perspective here. First, the LIVESTRONG
campaign has been stupidly successful. I see those yellow bracelets
everywhere, including on a great many non-cyclists. It's for a good
cause, so that's a good thing. But such a cultural phenomenon is going
to inspire its share of parody. I haven't checked, but I will be very
disappointed if Mad magazine hasn't done something.

Second, the LIVEWRONG site yadda yadda portion of proceeds yadda charity
yadda yadda bicycle trails yadda yadda. So it's not like they're purely
in it for the money, or even for the parody.

It's funny, but it's also dicey. You don't want to wear your LIVEWRONG
bracelet when you're meeting a cancer survivor, perhaps. Maybe they
would find it funny (cancer or no, I think I'd still find it funny), but
you know, they might be thin skinned. Or Lance Armstrong.

There's also an order of remove he the LIVEWRONG bracelet doesn't
make fun of cancer or cancer patients, it makes fun of a
fashion-fundraising phenomenon that is sweeping the nation. It's like
making fun of Girl Guide cookie drives: it does a lot less to diminish
the underlying cause (Girl Guides or cancer, take your pick) than it
does the pop-culture fundraising mechanisms each has spawned.

Full disclosu I don't own or wear a bracelet of any kind. I own a
couple of wris****ches, but don't even wear them much. I should get one
the next time I build a wheel, though, because I want to do this:

http://sheldonbrown.org/iro/584/pages/06.htm

And I don't mean the ludicrous spoking pattern,
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.
Old April 28th 05, 04:57 PM
catzz66

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Right. Gotta watch out for that despicable pro-cancer lobby.

Nothing personal against you Ryan, but some people don't seem to care
about whether or not something is in good taste.
Old April 30th 05, 04:20 PM

Maggie wrote:

Thank you. I am glad I bought the band, and I am glad I will be riding
the 25 miles. This post gives me the incentive I need to finish the 25
mile ride.

Since I have a kid with MS, since I work for one of the main sponsors
of the event, and since it involves bikes, may I put in a plug for my
local MS Bike Tour?
First of all, according to the numbers I've seen, here's where the MS
Society's contributions go: 52% goes to local programs; 31% to national
programs and research; 12% goes to fundraising expenses; and 5% to
administration.
The MS Bike Tour is in its 26th year. Nationally it raised an
impressive $47 million last year alone! Since the rides began a total of
over 10 million miles have been ridden for a lot of fun and a great cause.
The Utah MS Tour is held the last weekend of June in Cache Valley near
the Idaho border. There are three courses: 75 miles each day is the most
popular; there's a 40 mile course for those who don't feel up to the
longer one; and on Day One the truly hard-core can ride a full century. I
assume that other areas have about the same thing going on.
The ride is fully supported, with water stops, lunch, and of course,
sag wagons.
So if you love group riding and want to do some good for some people
who need you desperately, now you have an idea.

Bill

__o | I used to think that I was cool, running around on fossil fuel
_`\(,_ | Until I saw what I was doing was driving down the road to ruin.
(_)/ (_) | - James Taylor