Police crackdown results in cyclist warning

Old February 17th 16, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default Police crackdown results in cyclist warning

QUOTE:
" MORE than 90 drivers were fined, warned, arrested or advised at police checkpoints in Bolton set up as part of Operation Considerate. Road users were pulled over and and spoken to by officers from GMP's Roads Policing Unit -- and even a cyclist riding on the pavement was warned.

Officers stopped passing cars, vans, lorries and motorbikes in Derby Street, Daubhill, on Monday and outside Bolton Rail Station in Trinity Street in Bolton town centre on Tuesday last week.

Enforcement officers from Bolton Council were also out inspecting the licences of private hire and black cab drivers.

Insp Paul Rowe, of the Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: "It was a success.

"There were lots of people who we stopped and were spoken to and didn't seize their vehicle -- we educated them on certain parts of the law.

"I was surprised at the amount of drivers who didn't have insurance and the number of taxi drivers who did not check their tyres.

"The other thing is the amount of people that still use their mobile phone at the wheel."

Fifteen vehicles were seized for having no insurance and the owners will be summonsed to Bolton Magistrates' Court.

Nineteen drivers were caught using a mobile phone or mobile device while driving and not being in proper control at the wheel.

The offenders will either be fined £100 and their driving licence endorsed with three points or they may be able to pay to attend an awareness course instead.

Officers spotted 30 people who were not wearing seatbelts, or ensuring children were properly restrained, and were offered either the fine or the course.

Five motorists were found with defective tyre treads and received a £100 fine and three points on their licence.

Two vehicles were discovered without tax and will be fined £260.

People spotted behind the wheel of a car or van with tinted windows that were too dark were either fined £50 or were asked to remove the offending tinted film from their windows at the scene.

One motorist was arrested for possession of cannabis and another was warned for anti-social driving.

Checkpoint officers pulled over four vehicles with defective parts.

The owners were given 14 days to get the faults fixed and have the repairs confirmed by a registered MOT garage.

Insp Rowe added: "There have been comments on the original The Bolton News article online along the lines of 'that's it for 12 months now, they won't be coming back'.

"Well, I'm warning them that we will be coming back. You will see us again."

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/...nts_in_Bolton/
Old February 20th 16, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 11:21:02 UTC, Alycidon wrote:

Nineteen drivers were caught using a mobile phone or mobile device while driving and not being in proper control at the wheel.

It is TWO phones at once now - Jesus.
Four years for murder? Pathetic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...al-jailed.html
Old February 20th 16, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_5_]

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 4:41:59 PM UTC, Alycidon wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 11:21:02 UTC, Alycidon wrote:

Nineteen drivers were caught using a mobile phone or mobile device while driving and not being in proper control at the wheel.

It is TWO phones at once now - Jesus.
Four years for murder? Pathetic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...al-jailed.html

In other shocking news, a man put his bicycle on TWO train seats.

I wonder which of the two TWO incidents posted here gets most outrage from the usual suspects.
Old February 20th 16, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Saturday, 20 February 2016 20:05:50 UTC, Tom Crispin wrote:
On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 4:41:59 PM UTC, Alycidon wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 11:21:02 UTC, Alycidon wrote:

Nineteen drivers were caught using a mobile phone or mobile device while driving and not being in proper control at the wheel.

It is TWO phones at once now - Jesus.
Four years for murder? Pathetic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...al-jailed.html

In other shocking news, a man put his bicycle on TWO train seats.

I wonder which of the two TWO incidents posted here gets most outrage from the usual suspects.

The cyclist on the train could have killed someone - don't know how, but I'm sure they could have somehow.

Old February 21st 16, 01:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 20/02/2016 20:05, Tom Crispin wrote:

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 4:41:59 PM UTC, Alycidon wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 11:21:02 UTC, Alycidon wrote:

Nineteen drivers were caught using a mobile phone or mobile device while driving and not being in proper control at the wheel.

It is TWO phones at once now - Jesus.
Four years for murder? Pathetic.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...al-jailed.html

In other shocking news, a man put his bicycle on TWO train seats.
I wonder which of the two TWO incidents posted here gets most outrage from the usual suspects.

You, of course, as well as Mason, are members of the usual suspects, so
we'll have to wait and see.

FWIW, I am not outraged at all by the passing of a prison sentence for
CDBDD.

Are you?
Old February 21st 16, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_5_]

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 8:20:51 PM UTC, Alycidon wrote:
On Saturday, 20 February 2016 20:05:50 UTC, Tom Crispin wrote:
On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 4:41:59 PM UTC, Alycidon wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 11:21:02 UTC, Alycidon wrote:

Nineteen drivers were caught using a mobile phone or mobile device while driving and not being in proper control at the wheel.

It is TWO phones at once now - Jesus.
Four years for murder? Pathetic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...al-jailed.html

In other shocking news, a man put his bicycle on TWO train seats.

I wonder which of the two TWO incidents posted here gets most outrage from the usual suspects.

The cyclist on the train could have killed someone - don't know how, but I'm sure they could have somehow.

1. The cyclist had ridden through some dog ****
2. The cyclist then went by train.
3. The cyclist put their bike on a seat
4. The part of the tyre that went through the dog **** went on the seat
5. After the tyre was removed, a child licked the seat
6. The part of the seat that the child licked was the same part in contact with the tyre
7. The dog **** contained roundworm
8. The child contracted toxocariasis
9. The child died from the disease

If you can estimate the probability of each individual circumstance, you can estimate a ball park figure for the likelihood of a death to occur.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd put is at about 1 chance in a quadrillion.
Old February 21st 16, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 21/02/2016 12:27, Tom Crispin wrote:
[...]

Does that mean that it's acceptable to use railway carriage seats as
storage for a filthy bicycle whilst other passengers have to stand for
lack of available seats?

More acceptable than, say, putting one's feet on the seat opposite?
Old February 21st 16, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Saturday, 20 February 2016 20:05:50 UTC, Tom Crispin wrote:
On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 4:41:59 PM UTC, Alycidon wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 11:21:02 UTC, Alycidon wrote:

Nineteen drivers were caught using a mobile phone or mobile device while driving and not being in proper control at the wheel.

It is TWO phones at once now - Jesus.
Four years for murder? Pathetic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...al-jailed.html

In other shocking news, a man put his bicycle on TWO train seats.

I wonder which of the two TWO incidents posted here gets most outrage from the usual suspects.

Here the idiot driver actually gets jailed for once.
That insurance bill will be ASTRONOMICAL with all those crocked youngsters involved.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hed-lorry.html

Old February 21st 16, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 21/02/2016 15:04, Alycidon wrote:

[ ... ]

Here the idiot driver actually gets jailed for once.
That insurance bill will be ASTRONOMICAL with all those crocked youngsters involved.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hed-lorry.html

QUOTE:
Judge Simon Carr said it was a miracle that anyone survived the crash.

[Good name for a judge in a case like this, eh?]

He said: 'You were transporting others to a party. I have no doubt the
atmosphere in the car was high spirited. As part of that you carried out
a number of dangerous manoeuvres to shock and surprise those in the car.
You broke heavily when there was no need to do so...'.
ENDQUOTE

Did he *really* say that?

"Broke" is the past tense form of the verb "to break".

The past tense form of the verb "to brake" is "braked".

I find it hard to believe that a judge would make that mistake. It'll be
poor-quality reporting or subbing, and casts a shadow of doubt over the
rest of the report.
Old February 21st 16, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_5_]

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 2:42:59 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
[...]

I have already made my position perfectly clear: the other passengers should have ejected the bike at the next station stop and left an explanatory note on the dozing cyclist's lap.

But in the grand scheme of things, having to endure a selfish cyclist for a few stops is nothing compared to being killed by a motorist using two mobile phones.