Near Miss of the Day 458: Lorry driver left-hooks cyclist

Old August 20th 20, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Near Miss of the Day 458: Lorry driver left-hooks cyclist

Well done to the police.
QUOTE:
Over the past decade, we’ve seen a number of road safety campaigns warning cyclists against positioning themselves on the inside of HGVs at junctions – and sadly, we’ve also reported on a number of cases in which a bike rider has been killed or seriously injured when a lorry driver turns left across their path.

It sometimes seems, however, that there is an assumption that it is the cyclist who has put himself or herself in that position, when in reality, often it is due to the lorry driver coming up from behind them – and that is exactly what we have in today’s Near Miss of the Day video, with the cyclist forced to take evasive action to avoid being hit by the trailer as it swings round.

It happened on Monday to road.cc reader Martin, who told us: “Truck overtakes me approaching a roundabout; as it’s a regular road I use, my assumption was that they were turning right or going straight on (as per road markings as they were not indicating.

“Instead, truck left hooks me forcing me to take evasive action, swerving towards kerb and stopping.”

He said that the lorry operator – William McIntyre Haulage according to the livery – “has a negligible online presence,” but added that he had reported the incident with Police Scotland, who “are proceeding with prosecution on this one after having reviewed footage and taken statement.”

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...cyclist-276641
Old August 20th 20, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 20/08/2020 13:55, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

On a roundabout or in any traffic system which requires right of way to
be conceded depending on road position, never act purely on the basis of
another vehicle's indicators. They are not fully automated and the
driver may simply have forgotten to cancel the turn indicator.

While I was learning to drive and practising, accompanied by a qualified
driver, I was misled by a non-cancelled indicator on a vehicle on the
main road I was waiting to enter. I was stopped at the give-way line,
waiting to turn left. The vehicle approached along the main route to my
right, indicating left. Reasoning that he was turning into the road I
was in. But he went straight on, though luckily. I hadn't yet crossed
the line. "See...", my "mentor" said... "...always remember that the
other driver may just have forgotten to cancel the indicators ".

And I have never forgotten it. Anyone making assumptions on the basis of
an indicator and relying upon them is a fool.

What did that cyclist say?

Oh yes...

QUOTE:
"...as it’s a regular road I use, my assumption was that they were
turning right or going straight on (as per road markings as they were
not indicating. “Instead, truck left hooks me forcing me to take evasive
action, swerving towards kerb and stopping...".

Silly, silly, silly.

He's also about as literate as the average road.cc journo.
Old August 20th 20, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 1:55:44 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
Well done to the police.
QUOTE:

I had exactly that move pulled, I stopped and stepped on to the verge, meanwhile the trailer tyres rubbed the kerb on the r/bout. A woman coming onto the r/bout from the exit the truck was taking had actually stopped and reached for her phone and was ready to diall 999, she couldn' believe I hadn't been crushed.

I can still remember it all very clearly even though it was nearly 10 years ago. I have had a number of close calls since (as many have) but that one still gives me the fear.

Glad it hs been reported and hopefully gets taken seriously, it may mean loss of income etc but the driver should be getting some form of driving ban at the very least in relation to the HGV part.

reply quote

Awavey | 1022 posts | 29 min ago
0 likes

Glad the cyclist is ok, that looked too close for comfort and the lorry isnt even flipping indicating their intent,where do they think the cyclist vanished too,why even overtake if they were going straight on instead?

I've never been left hooked by a truck,yet,but I've certainly found myself stuck in that channel alongside the trailer where I know I'd have been blamed for going up the inside of it were anything to happen when infact it was wholly on the fault of the lorry drivers choice, and people would always say no a professional driver would never do that to you,well theres the video proof that they do.

reply quote

eburtthebike | 967 posts | 1 hour ago
5 likes

Appalling driving, and thanks for reporting and respect to the police for proceeding to prosecution. As others have pointed out, without the video, the cyclist would have been found to be at fault, not the driver.

Keep up the good work Martin, and stay safe.

reply quote

lukei1 | 24 posts | 1 hour ago
3 likes

That is absolutely insane driving, madness

reply quote

brooksby | 6278 posts | 2 hours ago
10 likes

Oh, now that could have been really nasty, and I'm glad the police are at least saying they'll do something.

And, as per the article, the truckers would have claimed to be exonerated because I bet the lorry has a sticker saying 'don't go up the left of this vehicle' and that's how the media would have reported it.

Those stickers surely don't count if the lorry driver has put the cyclist on its left.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...cyclist-276641

Old August 20th 20, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 20/08/2020 14:32, JNugent wrote:
On 20/08/2020 13:55, Simon Mason wrote:

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...cyclist-276641

On a roundabout or in any traffic system which requires right of way
to be conceded depending on road position, never act purely on the
basis of another vehicle's indicators. They are not fully automated
and the driver may simply have forgotten to cancel the turn
indicator.

And I have never forgotten it. Anyone making assumptions on the
basis of an indicator and relying upon them is a fool.

Over 30 million people know this. Stop trying to flatter yourself.

Old August 20th 20, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 20/08/2020 19:55, TMS320 wrote:

On 20/08/2020 14:32, JNugent wrote:
On 20/08/2020 13:55, Simon Mason wrote:

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...cyclist-276641

On a roundabout or in any traffic system which requires right of way
to be conceded depending on road position, never act purely on the
basis of another vehicle's indicators. They are not fully automated
and the driver may simply have forgotten to cancel the turn indicator.

And I have never forgotten it. Anyone making assumptions on the
basis of an indicator and relying upon them is a fool.

Over 30 million people know this. Stop trying to flatter yourself.

Very *many* people "know" things but either choose to forget them or
choose to ignore them - like you, for instance, when you cycle along
footways, refuse to accord precedence to pedestrians on crossings or
ride straight through traffic lights at red.

The trick lies in never forgetting, and never choosing to ignore, what
you have been taught. You ought to know that.
Old August 20th 20, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Thursday, 20 August 2020 14:31:45 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Please stick to the topic under discussion.
Who was at fault? The lorry 'driver' or the victim?

Old August 20th 20, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Old August 20th 20, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 20/08/2020 21:24, JNugent wrote:
[...]

As I said, stop trying to flatter yourself.
Old August 21st 20, 03:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 20/08/2020 22:02, Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

The cyclist was at fault - and clearly admits it - for working on the
basis of a mistaken assumption.

That *was* an error, wasn't it?

Other people *may* be at fault; that has yet to be determined.

Old August 21st 20, 03:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 20/08/2020 22:24, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 10:02:56 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

Please stick to the topic under discussion.
Who was at fault? The lorry 'driver' or the victim?

Police Scotland, who “are proceeding with prosecution on this one after having reviewed footage and taken statement.”

In what way are Police Scotland at fault?