Vile homophobic and 'anti-cyclist' graffiti scrawled on roads

Old August 23rd 20, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Vile homophobic and 'anti-cyclist' graffiti scrawled on roads

QUOTE:
Author Simon Warren was out riding his bike yesterday morning (August 22), heading from Sheffield out into the Peaks, when he came across the first set of graffiti.

Mr Warren explained: “I turned off Abbeydale Road towards Owler Bar and saw a bit of graffiti on the road. I had not seen it before and it said “deport illegal immigrants”.

"I continiued down Baslow Road and saw more graffiti. That was when I decided to turn around and video that part of it.”

The video Mr Warren took shows graffiti which says: “All cyclist are unfit f*****s give tight lycra back to wife gay boys [sic].”

He then cycled further up the road and found another set of graffiti spelling out the same message in the next layby.

And later in the day Mr Warren was driving to see his in-laws in Eckington and saw the same message painted on the road between Sheffield and Coal Aston.

"It’s pitiful,” he said. “It was all done in the same writing. It’s offensive, moreso to homosexuals than it is to cyclists.

"As soon as you venture into homophobia it’s a hate crime and the police can get involved. Sadly it seems that some people in this country feel that they have the license (SIC) to go and do this sort of thing.

"It just seems to be that some people want something to be angry about.

“I don’t know what can be done to stop this happening or to catch the people who do it, but it needs to be said that it is not okay. This can’t become normal.”

Craig Herring, a Chesterfield resident who also saw the graffiti, said: “Bigots like this shouldn’t be tolerated.

"I am personally shocked by this, it’s horrible to think we live around people with these views. Also I don’t want visitors to the area thinking that we share these views.”

South Yorkshire Police have been contacted for comment.

https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/ne...strict-2950457