Helmets

Old May 23rd 05, 05:48 AM
Peter

Default Helmets

I am a 79 year old senior citizen, but I am still able to ride my almost 50
year old three-speed "Made in England" bicycle.

However I have been unable to find a bicycle helmet that is held onto one's
head without the strap under the chin. Unfortunately at my age that strap
is not tolerable for me.

Hence I wonder if anyone in this group might have some suggestions for a
bicycle helmet that can safely be used without the use of chin straps.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Old May 23rd 05, 06:24 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Peter" wrote: I am a 79 year old senior citizen, (clip) However I have
been unable to find a bicycle helmet that is held onto one's head without
the strap under the chin. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, I'm only 77, so maybe I don't understand your problem. What happens
when you try to ride with a strap under your chin? I can't see what age has
to do with it.

Old May 23rd 05, 06:28 AM
Absent Husband

Sadly, unless you are willing to have a helmet surgically screwed into
your skull - I think that chin straps are your only option.

But then, skull surgery would probably defeat the purpose of wearing
the helmet in the first place.

Can only suggest that you try a few shops until you find a helmet that
fits comfortably. Any good bicycle store should have someone willing to
spend a few minutes with you to check out all the options...

Good luck!!
Absent Husband

Old May 23rd 05, 12:59 PM
RonSonic

On Sun, 22 May 2005 21:48:22 -0700, "Peter" reply to newsgroup only wrote:

I am a 79 year old senior citizen, but I am still able to ride my almost 50
year old three-speed "Made in England" bicycle.

However I have been unable to find a bicycle helmet that is held onto one's
head without the strap under the chin. Unfortunately at my age that strap
is not tolerable for me.

Hence I wonder if anyone in this group might have some suggestions for a
bicycle helmet that can safely be used without the use of chin straps.

Thanks a lot in advance,

You're stuck with the strap, it's the only practical way to ensure that the
helmet isn't dislodged by a fall or the "bounce" after the first hit. However,
the strap should NOT be holding the helmet down. the strap should be loose with
plenty of room for you to eat, drink or scratch your jaw.

The fit and shape of the helmet should be such that it doesn't rattle around on
your head. Good helmets will have an adjustable band that fits low on the back
of your skull that keeps it in place. If the chin strap need to be tightened to
keep the helmet in place, it is junk or the completely wrong size and probably
no good anyway. For the most part any helmet the right size over, say, $30
should work.

Ron
Old May 23rd 05, 01:46 PM
Joe Canuck

Peter wrote:
I am a 79 year old senior citizen, but I am still able to ride my almost 50
year old three-speed "Made in England" bicycle.

However I have been unable to find a bicycle helmet that is held onto one's
head without the strap under the chin. Unfortunately at my age that strap
is not tolerable for me.

Hence I wonder if anyone in this group might have some suggestions for a
bicycle helmet that can safely be used without the use of chin straps.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Well, if you think about it... how else is a helmet to be held securely
on the head without a chin strap?

Perhaps a collar around the neck with straps going up to the helmet?

You may need to have something custom made to suit your needs.
Old May 23rd 05, 01:46 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote in message :

I have been unable to find a bicycle helmet that is held onto one's
head without the strap under the chin. Unfortunately at my age that strap
is not tolerable for me.

So don't bother. Cycling head injuries are rare, helmets are not
proven to prevent any meaningful proportion of serious injuries, and
there are very few "old, bold bikers" - you are probably sufficiently
skilled and risk averse to avoid a crash in the first place.

Relax and enjoy the ride :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old May 23rd 05, 03:42 PM
Maggie

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
So don't bother. Cycling head injuries are rare, helmets are not
proven to prevent any meaningful proportion of serious injuries, and
there are very few "old, bold bikers" - you are probably sufficiently
skilled and risk averse to avoid a crash in the first place.

Relax and enjoy the ride :-)

Guy

I was going to say that, but I thought I would be lynched. I never wear
a helmet when I am cycling around town. I am not a daredevil, I am
usually in a park, the only times I have been hurt so far was while
"walking in front of a cyclist" and at a "rest stop".

IMO - A person who rides like me, usually does not fall on their head.
It is usually a leg scrap for something. Unless this gentleman is into
riding in alot of traffic or pushing himself to the limit....I think he
can get away without a helmet to give him a comfortable ride. I bought
a helmet for the charity ride, if I had not needed it, I probably still
would not have one.
Maggie

Old May 23rd 05, 04:04 PM
Will

Maggie wrote:

I never wear a helmet when I am cycling around town.

IMO - A person who rides like me, usually does not fall on their

head.
It is usually a leg scrap for something. Unless this gentleman is

into
riding in alot of traffic or pushing himself to the limit....I think

he
can get away without a helmet to give him a comfortable ride. I

bought
a helmet for the charity ride, if I had not needed it, I probably

still
would not have one.
Maggie

Having been over the bars and headfirst onto asphalt in the good old
days before helmets (my sewup peeled and lodged in the fork), I would
strongly urge you not to find out the HARD way. Believe me, road rash
does not compare.

Will

Old May 23rd 05, 05:21 PM
gds

Peter wrote:
I am a 79 year old senior citizen, but I am still able to ride my

almost 50
year old three-speed "Made in England" bicycle.

However I have been unable to find a bicycle helmet that is held onto

one's
head without the strap under the chin. Unfortunately at my age that

strap
is not tolerable for me.

Hence I wonder if anyone in this group might have some suggestions

for a
bicycle helmet that can safely be used without the use of chin

straps.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Peter isn't quite so old when he posts to other newsgroups. He also has
differnt names. I always thought that cycling can keep you young.
Perhaps it can also make you young.

Old May 23rd 05, 05:45 PM
Maggie

gds wrote:
Peter wrote:

Peter isn't quite so old when he posts to other newsgroups. He also

has
differnt names. I always thought that cycling can keep you young.
Perhaps it can also make you young.

How do you know that? I have one name and post to one group. How can
you tell if someone is posting under different names to many groups.
Maybe I am stupid to post my name and all my websites. Who knows what
lurks on these NG's. And I am gullible enough to believe everyone.

Maggie