Double-checking this axle's diameter and thread pitch

Old May 28th 05, 06:18 PM
Brian Ray

Default Double-checking this axle's diameter and thread pitch

Need to chase some hub axle threads smooshed by my mountain bike's rear
dropouts. Can't spin the locknuts or cones off to service the bearings. The
hub's Deore XT, circa 2001. From this handy dandy chart on Sheldon Brown's
site,

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/hub-parts.html

It looks like 10mm diameter and 1mm pitch. Just don't want to go purchasing
the wrong die and destroying the threads entirely.

Thanks,

Brian Ray

Old May 29th 05, 10:26 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Brian Ray wrote:
Need to chase some hub axle threads smooshed by my mountain bike's
rear dropouts. Can't spin the locknuts or cones off to service the
bearings. The hub's Deore XT, circa 2001. From this handy dandy chart
on Sheldon Brown's site,

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/hub-parts.html

It looks like 10mm diameter and 1mm pitch. Just don't want to go
purchasing the wrong die and destroying the threads entirely.

Thanks,

Brian Ray

That sounds right.

To make life easier, you may want to just use the locknuts to chase the
threads, unless they're really really flat. New locknuts are cheap... dies
aren't.

Since it's '01 XT, I'm assuming your hub was quick-release. Was your
quick-release not tightened enough? How much do you weigh? What kind of
riding were you doing?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old May 29th 05, 07:11 PM
Werehatrack

On Sat, 28 May 2005 17:18:21 GMT, "Brian Ray"
wrote:

Need to chase some hub axle threads smooshed by my mountain bike's rear
dropouts. Can't spin the locknuts or cones off to service the bearings. The
hub's Deore XT, circa 2001. From this handy dandy chart on Sheldon Brown's
site,

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/hub-parts.html

It looks like 10mm diameter and 1mm pitch. Just don't want to go purchasing
the wrong die and destroying the threads entirely.

Are they bashed on both ends? If so, you're screwed anyway; the die
will not clean the threads closer than about three lands from a nut.
If they're only bashed on one end, then you can probably extract the
axle and at least run the cone on the bashed side father towards the
center of the shaft before chasing the threads.

A 10x1.0mm die is not an easy thing to find in a lot of US cities; you
may end up having to order it from somewhere, though I suspect there's
probably at least one source in the Bay Area somewhere.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old May 29th 05, 07:26 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Brian Ray wrote:

Need to chase some hub axle threads smooshed by my mountain bike's rear
dropouts. Can't spin the locknuts or cones off to service the bearings. The
hub's Deore XT, circa 2001. From this handy dandy chart on Sheldon Brown's
site,

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/hub-parts.html

It looks like 10mm diameter and 1mm pitch. Just don't want to go purchasing
the wrong die and destroying the threads entirely.

Hacksaw off the damaged section(s) close to the locknuts, remove the
locknuts and cones then buy a new axle? Might work out cheaper and the
job will be a good 'un. A new 146mm x M10 x 1mm axle will cost you the
princely sum of $8.75 from The Third Hand.
Old May 29th 05, 08:17 PM

wrote:

[...]

Dear Werehatrack,

Snap-On offers an M10 x 1.0 die for $7.50 and shipping, and
the local salesman probably has it:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all

Carl Fogel
Old May 30th 05, 06:21 PM
Brian Ray

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message ...
Since it's '01 XT, I'm assuming your hub was quick-release. Was your
quick-release not tightened enough? How much do you weigh? What kind of
riding were you doing?

This flattening of the threads kind of surprised me, never having
experienced it with my other bikes, _but_ this is my first mountain bike.

I'm around 160 - 170# in form and this is a couple of seasons of hard cross
country riding, much of it on lava pan. The dropouts on my Habanero are (I
think) CP titanium. I think the quick release was sufficiently tight--used
the old "adjust it until there's resistance when the lever's parallel to the
axle" guideline.

To make life easier, you may want to just use the locknuts to chase the
threads, unless they're really really flat. New locknuts are cheap...

dies
aren't.

Good tip. It's either going to be this approach or Zog's suggestion below.

"Werehatrack" wrote in message
Are they bashed on both ends? If so, you're screwed anyway; the die
will not clean the threads closer than about three lands from a nut.

Crapola. Moreso bashed on the drive side, but yes, bashed enough on the
nondrive side enough so the locknut and cone won't thread off. I was kinda
looking forward to trying a die; never done it before.

wrote in message
Snap-On offers an M10 x 1.0 die for $7.50 and shipping, and
the local salesman probably has it:

www.biketoolsetc.com is another source--lots of other taps, dies, and other
exotic tools I lust after but can never justify purchasing for lack of
practical application.

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message
Hacksaw off the damaged section(s) close to the locknuts, remove the
locknuts and cones then buy a new axle?

Good idea.

Phil, Werehatrack, Carl, Zog, thanks all. And happy holiday (if you're in
the U.S., otherwise happy Monday).

Brian Ray