ABELARD AND HELOISE, MODERNIZED! was Ed Dolan the Great & Marika

Old December 1st 08, 05:34 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

Default Ed Dolan the Great & Marika

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

[...]
I do not like humor mixed in with drama. It ruins most of Shakespeare for
me. Either do one or the other, but NEVER leaven drama with humor. If you
can't take drama unleavened, then just read comic books like 12 year olds
do.

Comedy makes tragedy more poignant. Remember the film story:
Harry And Tonto?

John Steinbeck came up with some beauties in his Cannery Row
and Tortilla Flats. Not bad, for a non-Irish writer.

Even venerable Homer intermingled a little comedy with
tragedy in his epics, and it worked.

More or less.

Yes, that is the standard explanation for mixing humor with drama, but I
don't like it. It distracts more than anything else. I like drama unrelieved
.... the more grim, the better. If drama is well done the poignancy will be
there without any asides.

By the way, ever notice American TV comedies like the old Jackie Gleason
show (The Honeymooners)? It would be comedy up to a point and then it would
suddenly become serious as if trying to make a poignant point. That kind of
sappiness ruins everything. Either do comedy or do drama, but don't mix
them.

Anyways, I think with Marika you've crossed swords with
a Russian dominatrix. I'd watch my step if I were you.

Else you might find yourself being led by the ear to
somwhere you don't wanna go. Note I'm not suggesting
you back down -- perish the thought.

Please do carry on and spend your limited, remaining
hours of life in whatever manner you see fit.

Marika is not very smart although she pretends to be. But does not that
describe all women?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka