Getting more people out on their bikes

Old June 8th 04, 08:57 AM
Wild Wind

Default Getting more people out on their bikes

Just thinking - what if during the advent of every summer,
a consortium of bike manufacturers, bike vendors and any
other company that supplied bike related services were to
club together to sponsor a series of advertisements in the
mass media encouraging people to take advantage of the lovely
weather that the UK has at this time to go out and have fun
riding a bike?

I think that if I wasn't sure about riding, if I got bombarded
with pleasant images of cyclists pootling on country lanes
or canal towpaths in the media and I saw that the number of
cyclists had increased during this period (and it does in summer),
it might make me seriously think of taking the plunge.

I believe that appealing to the fun/enjoyment element is a LOT
more effective than hectoring people that cycling reduces
pollution/cuts traffic congestion/makes you fitter, etc.

--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

Old June 8th 04, 09:08 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Wild Wind wrote:
Just thinking - what if during the advent of every summer,
a consortium of bike manufacturers, bike vendors and any
other company that supplied bike related services were to
club together to sponsor a series of advertisements in the
mass media encouraging people to take advantage of the lovely
weather that the UK has at this time to go out and have fun
riding a bike?

And on the same day on BBC News:
url:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3784903.stm

Britons choose car over exercise

Britain's love affair with the car is stopping people from taking even small
amounts of exercise, a survey suggests.
The ICM poll of 1,015 people for Tetley Tea found one in 10 jumps in the car
to post a letter.
One in eight said they would drive to the local park, while one in three
said they would take the car to visit friends living nearby.
The findings were published to mark the British Heart Foundation's Heart
Week, which runs until Sunday.
According to the survey, most of the cars on the daily school run are only
used for a quick round trip.
In two out of three cases, the drivers return home after dropping children
off at school.

The poll suggests that such bad habits are rubbing off on young people.
Over half of the 18 to 24-year-olds who took part in the survey said they
could not live without their care.
One in three of those questioned said a lack of time prevented them from
exercising more. That rose to 50% among those aged between 25 and 34.

Overall, one in five said they believed the main reason Britons are unfit is
because they use the car too much.
Len Almond, director of the British Heart Foundation Centre for Physical
Activity and Health, urged people to take a close look at their lives to see
if they can exercise more.

"We need to take an honest look at our lives and ask if we are trying hard
enough to build exercise into our daily routine.
"Even though life has undoubtedly changed since the 50s - cars, home
entertainment, longer working hours are all a reality and here to stay -
there are easy ways to incorporate changes into our life to reduce the risk
of long term conditions such as coronary heart disease."

Tetley Tea, which commissioned the survey, backed that view.

"Whilst most people are now aware of the benefits of regular exercise, it
seems to be our lack of dedication which is stopping us from getting
active," said Mouli Gani, its brand manager.

"Tetley's new report highlights that there is still some way to go in
motivating the nation to step up its efforts."

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

Old June 8th 04, 09:19 AM
Mark South

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
Britain's love affair with the car is stopping people from taking even small
amounts of exercise, a survey suggests.

The findings were published to mark the British Heart Foundation's Heart

^^^^
Week, which runs until Sunday.

ITYM "mock" :-(

Old June 8th 04, 09:20 AM
Peter Clinch

Wild Wind wrote:

I think that if I wasn't sure about riding, if I got bombarded
with pleasant images of cyclists pootling on country lanes
or canal towpaths in the media and I saw that the number of
cyclists had increased during this period (and it does in summer),
it might make me seriously think of taking the plunge.

I believe that appealing to the fun/enjoyment element is a LOT
more effective than hectoring people that cycling reduces
pollution/cuts traffic congestion/makes you fitter, etc.

http://www.velovision.co.uk/cgi-bin/...l?storynum=500 has
some blurb on a TV ad Glasgow City Council ran. I don't know if it was
considered a success or not.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old June 8th 04, 10:01 AM
Danny Colyer

Wild Wind wrote:
Just thinking - what if during the advent of every summer,
a consortium of bike manufacturers, bike vendors and any
other company that supplied bike related services were to
club together to sponsor a series of advertisements ...

I think it's a great idea, and perhaps something to suggest to the
Association of cycle Traders:
URL:http://www.cyclesource.co.uk/

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old June 8th 04, 05:55 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Wild Wind wrote:
Just thinking - what if during the advent of every summer,
a consortium of bike manufacturers, bike vendors and any
other company that supplied bike related services were to
club together to sponsor a series of advertisements in the
mass media encouraging people to take advantage of the lovely
weather that the UK has at this time to go out and have fun
riding a bike?

I think that if I wasn't sure about riding, if I got bombarded
with pleasant images of cyclists pootling on country lanes
or canal towpaths in the media and I saw that the number of
cyclists had increased during this period (and it does in summer),
it might make me seriously think of taking the plunge.

I believe that appealing to the fun/enjoyment element is a LOT
more effective than hectoring people that cycling reduces
pollution/cuts traffic congestion/makes you fitter, etc.

I think there are two other problems that put people off cycling:

1) Danger (whether perceived or real)
2) The weather

It's not all laziness. If it was, I'd cycle to work every day - I can
always use the exercise.
Old June 9th 04, 12:02 AM
Wild Wind

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message
Wild Wind wrote:
[...]

I hear you. But then, that's why the images that are pushed
at people to get them cycling must NOT contain any element
of danger or bad weather. See where I talk about advertising
in *summer* (when the UK has the best of weather) and presenting
images of cycling down country lanes?

By the time they discover whatever 'danger' there is, or
that the weather is not always bright and sunny, some of them
will be hooked enough to disregard these 'problems'.

It's not all laziness. If it was, I'd cycle to work every
day - I can always use the exercise.

Huh? Where did I say laziness put people off cycling?

I personally feel that people who characterise people who
don't cycle as 'lazy' are being very narrow minded - I mean,
if I was a walking fanatic, I might brand people who cycled
three miles to work instead of walking 'lazy', but wouldt
that be fair?

Old June 9th 04, 06:42 AM
Peter B

"Wild Wind" wrote in message
I hear you. But then, that's why the images that are pushed
at people to get them cycling must NOT contain any element
of danger or bad weather.

You mean like those car adverts where they either cruise on deserted scenic
roads in sunshine and/or feature Beautiful People as opposed to the reality
of getting stuck on a wet M6 Monday morning near Walsall with some Ugly
Arsehole gesturing in a masturbatory manner 'cos you gave him the finger for
tailgating you on the one occasion you all went fast enough for tailgating
to become a safety issue ;-) Takes a breath
--
Regards,
Pete

Old June 9th 04, 06:50 AM
Graeme

"Peter B" wrote in
:

You mean like those car adverts where they either cruise on deserted
scenic roads in sunshine

Unless it's a 4WD advert, then snow, rain and mud are the order of the day.

Graeme
Old June 9th 04, 07:00 AM
Ian G Batten

In article ,
Wild Wind wrote:
I think that if I wasn't sure about riding, if I got bombarded
with pleasant images of cyclists pootling on country lanes
or canal towpaths in the media and I saw that the number of
cyclists had increased during this period (and it does in summer),
it might make me seriously think of taking the plunge.

Unfortunately, it requires joined up thinking. Assume for a moment that
the worry is safety, which for people with children is probably the case
(I'm not saying they are right --- the point about advertising is not to
preach to the choir, but to convince the unconverted). Towpaths are
great for urban dwellers. _But_ getting to them may be difficult,
taking bikes on cars is hard if you have four bikes, there's often
little parking at random bridges and do we want to encourage more car
journeys anyway? And that's before we point out that in Birmingham all
towpaths are de jure or de facto cyclable, while elsewhere that's not so
true.

The joined up part is better provision on public transport for cycling.
Taking a family of four out by public transport combined with cycling
is, for practical purposes, impossible without a heavy rail station on a
line with adequate cycle provision. Putting four bikes on a Mondeo
isn't easy, isn't cheap and isn't quick.

I'm incredibly lucky: the Worcester and Birmingham and the Stratford
canals are within easy quiet-road reach, and Kings Norton junction where
they meet is actually on a cycle route I'm only about half a quiet-roads
mile from. I also have a station served by Centro's 323s about half a
mile away, which have dedicated cycle space and a ``bikes free and OK
all day under all circumstances'' policy. I can cycle from my front
door to the middle of Birmingham with the kids without really needing to
worry. How to extend that flexibility to more people is the real
questions.

ian

Danny-boy flails some more! (was: Advice on a good hardtail.) Jonesy Mountain Biking 31 June 18th 04 08:01 PM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
Free Bikes Instead of School Bus (long) [Not Responding] UK 18 May 17th 04 06:44 AM
Mutant Road Bikes Dave Mayer General 29 March 12th 04 05:48 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM