£22 million wasted on ******s

Old March 9th 11, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

Default £22 million wasted on ******s

On 09/03/2011 16:45, Tony Raven wrote:

wrote:

That may or may not be good to know (though it certainly doesn't apply to
me). What I'd really like to know is how I can use my car on the roads of
the UK without paying about £4.50 a gallon in excise duty and VAT.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models

That's not my car.
Old March 9th 11, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 09/03/2011 17:46, Ian Smith wrote:
On Wed, 09 Mar 2011, wrote:
On 09/03/2011 11:19, Ian Smith wrote:

wrote:

but since no 'road tax' means no lawful use of the roads by car

No it doesn't (even discounting your use of the term 'road tax').
There are plenty of cars you can drive on the road without having
paid a penny of vehicle excise duty.

That may or may not be good to know (though it certainly doesn't
apply to me). What I'd really like to know is how I can use my car
on the roads of the UK without paying about £4.50 a gallon in
excise duty and VAT.

Buy your petrol in France.

Har har.

Or use an electric car.

That's not my car. There was a clue in the question.

Or make your own biodiesel

Thanks for the suggestion. Mind you, I'm not sure where I'd get hundreds of
litres of used cooking fat. We use very little of it here. Perhaps it's more
common at your house.

Plenty of options, though they may not be applicable to your current
car. Of course, you wouldn't be trying to assemble a straw man and
claim I was saying that your car could be driven without paying
vehicle excise duty.

Of course I wouldn't - even though normal people refer to it as road tax.

Oh no, you wouldn't do that, even though you've quoted me talking
about vehicle excise duty and then you started talking about duty on
fuel, even though I said nothing about fuel duty in that post, and the
point I was replying to was about VED and not fuel taxes.

I seem to have hit a very raw nerve there, don't I?

I was certainly not confusing road tax (flat rate for any particular vehicle)
and fuel duty/VAT.

So why are *you* confusing them?
Old March 9th 11, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 09/03/2011 17:53, SW wrote:
On 09/03/2011 17:46, Mrcheerful wrote:
SW wrote:
On 09/03/2011 10:53, Mrcheerful wrote:
it is a tax on using a
car on the road.

And is therefore a car tax just as much as a road tax - probably more
so as virtually all car use requires the tax to be paid.

not a car tax since the requirement does not arise through mere ownership,
but through its use on the road.

not a road tax since the requirement does not arise through mere use of the
road but use of a car on the road.

By George, he's got it!

Well... nearly.

Road tax on the use of a car on the road.

It's so simple that one marvels at the inability of some to conceptualise it.
Old March 9th 11, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 09/03/2011 18:12, NM wrote:
On Mar 9, 9:38 am, wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 08/03/2011 14:07, bugbear wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
Cyclists are notoriously mean.
Many are on benefits.

Funnily enough, when I was in a camera
shop, the owner of the shop commented
that cyclists tended to be among his higher
spending customers.

Strangely enough - I was in a camera shop& the owner commented that
cyclists were tight *******s.

I think the difference between your anecdote and mine is
that mine actually happened.

Nice try though.

BugBear

Can't see that, how would the shop owner know the people who bought
from him were cyclists or not, admittedly it would be obvious for some
but most would just be ordinary punters, I went to a camera shop only
last week searching for an oddball battery I wasn't questioned by the
staff as to my method of transport. I suspect the owner of the shop
you quote was flattering his customers...

.... or was trusting his nose.

ducks and runs away
Old March 9th 11, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 09/03/2011 18:18, Simon Mason wrote:

The Medway wrote:

Don't you have any creative ability at all? First of all you steal my
Janey& John concept - albeit badly, now you have stolen 'wriggle alert'.

Make up your own ****ing stuff.

I read Janet and John books way back in 1963.

He did, you know.

And he was making good progress: he was only 35.
Old March 9th 11, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
SW[_3_]

SW wrote:
On 09/03/2011 10:53, Mrcheerful wrote:
it is a tax on using a
car on the road.

And is therefore a car tax just as much as a road tax - probably more
so as virtually all car use requires the tax to be paid.

not a car tax since the requirement does not arise through mere
ownership,
but through its use on the road.

not a road tax since the requirement does not arise through mere use
of the
road but use of a car on the road.

By George, he's got it!

Well... nearly.

Road tax on the use of a car on the road.

Car tax on the use of the road by car.

It's so simple that one marvels at the inability of some to
conceptualise it.

As you have so ably demonstrated.

Old March 9th 11, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Wed, 09 Mar, The Medway Handyman wrote:

****wit. You cannot drive a (non exempt) car legally on the road
without paying road tax.

Shock realisation for handy: you have to pay VED to use a car you have
to pay VED to use.

Gosh. Who would ever have imagined it? I for one am glad he posted
to share this insight with us.

Tomorrow he might grasp that you don't have to pay VED to use the cars
you don't have to pay VED to use, but one step at a time, ehh.

--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old March 9th 11, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

SW wrote:
On 09/03/2011 10:53, Mrcheerful wrote:
it is a tax on using a
car on the road.

And is therefore a car tax just as much as a road tax - probably more
so as virtually all car use requires the tax to be paid.

not a car tax since the requirement does not arise through mere
ownership,
but through its use on the road.

not a road tax since the requirement does not arise through mere use
of the
road but use of a car on the road.

By George, he's got it!

Well... nearly.

Road tax on the use of a car on the road.

Car tax on the use of the road by car.

You can call it whatever you like (it's a free country) and you won't hear a
complaint about it from me.

Normal people still call road tax road tax.
Old March 9th 11, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message
, NM
writes
On Mar 9, 7:27*am, Dex wrote:

On 08/03/2011 07:20, Dex wrote:

High time we stopped listening to these ******s. If they want to cycle
let the spongers pay for it.

Most of the adult ones do, via council tax.

Do cyclists have to pay an 'extra' 'specific' tax to use a push bike on
the road?

Answer 'No'. Sponging freeloaders.

But motorist don't pay an 'extra' 'specific' tax either.

http://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing-as-road-tax/bring-back-the-road-...

It s often assumed that road tax pays for Britain s roads. In fact,
it s general and local taxation that pays for roads. Proceeds from
Vehicle Excise Duty a tax on vehicles, not a payment for use of roads
goes into the Consolidated Fund, the coffers of the Treasury.

There is a lot of tax on fuel or hadn't you noticed. I make that a
motoring specific tax.

not when i buy it for the chainsaw, or the camping stove it isn't
--
Chris French

Old March 9th 11, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dex

On 09/03/2011 15:31, Phil W Lee wrote:
considered Wed, 09 Mar 2011 08:42:51 +0000 the
perfect time to write:

On 09/03/2011 08:01, Mrcheerful wrote:
Dex wrote:
On 09/03/2011 07:15, Mrcheerful wrote:
Dex wrote:
On 08/03/2011 07:58, Mrcheerful wrote:
Dex wrote:

High time we stopped listening to these ******s. If they want to
cycle let the spongers pay for it.

Most of the adult ones do, via council tax.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/200028/council_tax/1776/paying_your_council_tax/2

What your Council Tax pays for

The Council Tax you pay goes towards the cost of providing a wide
range of services for the people of Manchester. These include:

* Maintenance of roads and bridges
* Traffic management and road safety

Some cyclists undoubtedly do pay council and income tax, but how
many are on benefits, hence they pay nothing?

And these same people on benefits get their bins emptied, free
schooling for their kid, access to libraries and the emergency
services if they need them.

Want that lot taken away as well?

absolutely, if you can't afford it: you don't get it.

So some poor sod who was sacked because their employer moved overseas
to avoid a bit of tax deserves to have his house burned down and his
wife die if she accidentally falls down the stars?

How... charitable of you.

why rely on the state to look after you?

It would be nice if unemployment was virtually unheard of and the
minimum wage was £50 per hour, but it's not.

Paying directly for education, roads, hospitals, street lighting and the
multitude of other things the council tax pays for would bankrupt most
workers.

The real decline of this country
came as soon as the Welfare State came in after WW2.

AFAIC that was the day this country came out of the dark ages,
abolishment of the workhouse system for one example.

It might have become an easy answer to some, but it was and still is
there for the benefit (pardon the pun) of the nation as a whole.

I wonder how many people could afford to run a car if the _entire_
medical and social care costs for the people they cripple each year
(an any dependents they may have) had to be funded from motor
insurance.

If the entire amount of tax paid by motorists was spent on roads & not
pinched for other things we could all have our own road.

Have you done the maths?

A mile of new motorway costs £30m, that's £473.50 per inch, then you've
got the maintenance and gritting when the frost comes. Adding all the
58p per litre tax on fuel and road tax you bought over a year exactly
how many inches did you pay for?

A Tour for Wankers! ronaldo_jeremiah Racing 2 February 17th 10 01:45 PM
Yo Wankers, Cut Up $6,500 Carbon bike! yourbuddy UK 0 December 20th 05 11:19 PM
Helmet Wankers Tom Kunich General 263 February 13th 04 05:43 AM
Helmet Wankers CSB UK 138 February 13th 04 05:43 AM
Helmet Wankers CSB Australia 136 February 13th 04 05:43 AM