STI shifter improveent

Old November 26th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Cotton

Default STI shifter improveent

Because of my web page about repairing STI, I received the following email.
http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm
Bill- just came across a article you had written on repairing the Shimano
STI shifter temporarily with a rubber band. My shifters are on a 2000
Cannondale tandem. They are Ultegra , with the same shifting problem in your
article. I'm looking at replacing them with the same but am concerned that I
will have the same issue later on. Not sure when the article was written but
my question is this.. Do you know if the new versions (2007ish) have been
redesigned ? I really don't want to spend $250 and have the same problem . I
was told by a bike shop that they had fixed the problem in 2000, but I think
the guy was just blowing smoke. Anyway, if you know the answer I would
appreciate it if you let me know. In the meantime ,I will try your rubber
band trick. By the way , mine are for a 9 speed rear and a triple front.
Thanks Jon

Do anyone know the answer?

--
www.billcotton.com

Old November 26th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Nov 26, 5:25 am, "Bill Cotton" wrote:
[...]

I think the answer is it probably doesn't matter. Shimano makes 100s
of thousands of STI shifters. I bet few have the problem you describe.
IF people have problem with their STI lever, then the "WD-40 flush" is
usually the cure.

If this guy is that concerned about his $250+ STI levers having
problems, then he may want to look into getting Campy Ergo levers.
Easily repairable, ALL small parts are readily available (good luck
trying to find STI small parts) and cheaper too, i.e., Campy Record
Ergo levers can be found for under $300!

Old November 26th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Nov 26, 11:02 am, bfd wrote:
[...]

On that note, I heartily recommend the pre-QuikShift Centaur Ergos
Nashbar's closing out at $150. They have the old-style mechanism, like
only Chorus and Record have now, and you can use any FD because it's
not indexed on the left. Plus, the levers are aluminum, so there's
less worry about one snapping off in a spill. And they look
fantastic.

9-speed Shimano users can either use a #2 ShiftMate (http://
www.jtekengineering.com ) or they can Hubbub the cable (
http://www.hubbub.com/articles_ergopower.html ) to get 9-speed shimano
spacing with the 10-speed Campy shifter. Alternately, they could use a
#3 ShiftMate and switch to 10-speed, or route the cable normally, and
use an 8-speed Shimano cassette. Many, many options.
Old November 27th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article

groups.com,
bfd wrote:

[...]

It is temporary, because WD-40 turns to glue.
Better to use a penetrating lubricant.

Old November 27th 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

"Michael Press" wrote in message
In article

groups.com,
bfd wrote:

[...]

Agree, many consider "Powerlube" or other penetrating lube to be a better
substitute:

http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/noisystilevers.htm

If this guy is that concerned about his $250+ STI levers having
problems, then he may want to look into getting Campy Ergo levers.
Easily repairable, ALL small parts are readily available (good luck
trying to find STI small parts) and cheaper too, i.e., Campy Record
Ergo levers can be found for under $300!

--
Michael Press

Bar end shifter [email protected] Recumbent Biking 8 October 5th 06 05:36 AM
What makes a Shimano STI shifter better than another STI shifter? Earl Bollinger Techniques 7 June 27th 06 02:47 AM
RSX Front shifter Bill UK 6 January 29th 06 07:04 PM
FS Dura Ace 9 sp shifter (rear), Downtube shifter/brake package [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 20th 04 05:05 PM
convert down tube shifter to bar-end shifter Phil Brown Techniques 5 August 28th 03 04:15 PM