how to fix seat to accomodate sore butt

Old July 23rd 04, 07:49 PM
Dora Smith

Default how to fix seat to accomodate sore butt

I have severe soreness around the left ischial tuberosity (seat bone),
inside, it, and below it, as a result of some combination of getting hit by
a car and hobbling on crutches. Other parts of the same hip are
malfunctioning as well. It is probably some combination of muscle
strains, muscle spasm, and bruises.

Problem; I am relying on my bike to get around since right fibula is
fractured and left hip won't let me hop on crutches, nor even walk with
crutches. But the seat is aggravating my sore butt by rubbing and pressing
against it.

I tried a gel seat cover, and it didn't have enough give. Further, it
slipped so that the part that contacted the sore area of my butt was
actually higher than the rest of the seat.

I have tried putting padding on other side and back of seat to get my sore
butt off the seat - which works in a chair, but not on my bicycle. I have
also tried padding the entire seat, which helps a little.

Can anyone suggest the best way to fix my seat to avoid aggravating the sore
area on my butt?

Thanks much!

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas

Old July 23rd 04, 09:24 PM
BanditManDan

Dora Smith Wrote:
[...]

Dump the gel padding and buy some quality biking shorts. The gel
padding can actually be the cause of pain on your seat bone. The
biking shorts should help because they will have padding in them which
works much better than padding the seat itself.

Dan.

--
BanditManDan

Old July 24th 04, 12:01 AM
E. Willson

I do not now how much experience you have with adjusting things on a bike. I
will keep this very basic. It sounds like your seat is too high, and the seat
(saddle) nose is set too low. If you raise the nose slightly you will transfer
contace foreward somewhat, reducing weight on the rear. Lowering the seat
slightly may also help. You might also want to lower the handlebar to transfer
weight forward. If you are located near a good bike store you might go there and
explain your problem. I would think they might give you some help fitting you to
your bike.

HTH,
Ernie

Old July 24th 04, 03:57 AM
Dora Smith

Those are good ideas. I might mosy by a bike shop.

Seat is already too low, actually, has to be as I have a fractured leg bone.

--

Yours,
Dora Smith

Old July 24th 04, 04:10 AM
Dora Smith

Quality biking shorts.

Now WEARING a pad had occurred to me....

I'll look into it.

I've actually seen them at Buck's bikes; they look like tight nylon things;
I wondered if they were for compression! What is the advantage to them -
besides padding, which the ones at Buck's don't look like they have?

--

Yours,
Dora Smith

"BanditManDan" wrote in
message ...

Old July 24th 04, 04:11 AM
Dora Smith

You know, if I can't afford quality bike shorts, what sort of padding would
I add to ordinary pants that would work?

--

Yours,
Dora Smith

"BanditManDan" wrote in
message ...

Old July 24th 04, 08:24 AM
Bill Davidson

Dora Smith wrote:
Problem; I am relying on my bike to get around since right fibula is
fractured and left hip won't let me hop on crutches, nor even walk with
crutches.

How is it that you can ride?
Old August 17th 04, 05:32 PM
Richard Adams

Bill Davidson wrote in message news:39oMc.7468$BX.1723@lakeread08...
Dora Smith wrote:
Problem; I am relying on my bike to get around since right fibula is
fractured and left hip won't let me hop on crutches, nor even walk with
crutches.

How is it that you can ride?

Pish and tosh. A guy who rode with the weekend group was in a car
accident and it busted up one of his legs pretty bad. He could walk
with a crutch, but was able to ride a bike, though he didn't have full
rotation on one side.

I suppose there's the risk of developing stress related injuries, due
to unusual patterns of physical force. I get something in my chest
when I change bikes.