Home Improvements - For Bikes!?

Old August 22nd 03, 07:48 AM
hippy

Default Home Improvements - For Bikes!?

I was thinking right? (yes, THAT's what that noise was!)
With all that home improvement rubbish on TV, what
would cyclists do if they had to design a house, given
unlimited funds?

I'm talking about cycling related design ideas and
improvements only!

To start the wheel rolling, the first design feature
of my new house would be double-width doors
and hallways!
Why? Because I am sick to death of banging my
bikes into door frames, doors and walls!

So, does anyone have any nifty ideas for making
a cyclist's dream home that little bit better?

hippy

Old August 22nd 03, 08:01 AM
Iestyn

To start the wheel rolling, the first design feature
of my new house would be double-width doors
and hallways!

How about a ramp up the middle of the extra wide staircase, for riding up or
down. Of course for variety you have the option of riding the rough line.
;-)

Iestyn.

Old August 22nd 03, 08:05 AM
hippy

"Iestyn" wrote in message
To start the wheel rolling, the first design feature
of my new house would be double-width doors
and hallways!

How about a ramp up the middle of the extra wide staircase, for riding

up or
down. Of course for variety you have the option of riding the rough

line. ;-)

Of course, landscape gardening would be taken to new levels, with
gardeners struggling to come to terms with "berms", "doubles" and
"the flow"...

Unlimited funds eh? How big is a velodrome again?

hippy

Old August 22nd 03, 10:41 AM
Luther Blissett

hippy wrote:

**snip**
hippy

I live in a gound floor apartment with tiles on the floor. I just throw
my bike in the door .. no worrying about carrying it upstairs, or down
the hall past various flatmates' piles of garbage.

But my dream home for my bike: A garage, with a heater and a good
security system. The ute can live outside. Unfortunately such a setup is
hard to come across in the inner city. Except the ute living outside bit.

--
Cheers
LB

(Hey Hippy - is my snipping improving?)

Old August 22nd 03, 02:19 PM
hippy

"Andrew Swan" wrote in message
Hmm, let's see...

A garage with room for a bike rack so I don't have to hang them up
alongside the car (yes, I have a car, shock horror).

How about a conveyor belt bike parking machine?

A retinal scanning opener for the garage door so I don't have to fish
around in my pockets for keys or a remote control while juggling bike,
mail, helmet, etc.

THIS is what I'm talking about! You've watched me try to open my
door before haven't you!? :-D

A spare room for the (nubile Swedish) masseuse and bike mechanic to live
in (this could be one person or two).
A spa, sauna, and massage table (see above).

Drool.

An air-conditioned training room with rollers, huge video display, and
that funky computrainer (?) system that simulates countryside and fellow
riders. If it's good enough for Jan Ullrich (or "Ullrish", if you're
Stephen Hodge) to train in one, it's good enough for me. This room could
double as a TdF viewing lounge once a year.

Just say home theatre.. you know you want to! I'll excuse that because you
have a computrainer in there! :-)

A fully-equipped bike workshop for me to use once my partner has got rid
of the mechanic/masseuse.

hehe..
I just though of another nice addition. Voice controlled compressor
to rapidly pump tyres up to the vocalised pressure.

Instead of the Internet Fridge, how about an Internet workshop that lets
you know when you are nearly out of grease/tubes/tyres/etc?

hip

Old August 22nd 03, 02:23 PM
hippy

"Luther Blissett" wrote in
message news:bi4ogi$9a3
I just throw my bike in the door .. no worrying about carrying it

upstairs, or down
the hall past various flatmates' piles of garbage.

My problem is the "throw bike in the door" bit. I tend to connect bike
to door frame. Of course, I _could_ try turning on some lights in the
morning.. nah!

But my dream home for my bike: A garage, with a heater and a good
security system. The ute can live outside. Unfortunately such a setup is
hard to come across in the inner city. Except the ute living outside bit.

I work on my bikes inside my unit. The shed contains a car (damn I
wish I could sell that!) and is freezing! The carpet is also quite dodgy
inside so I feel no need to be careful with oil/grease/parts.

(Hey Hippy - is my snipping improving?)

Tis!

hip

Old August 22nd 03, 02:41 PM
Gary K

hippy wrote:

"Iestyn" wrote in message
To start the wheel rolling, the first design feature
of my new house would be double-width doors
and hallways!

How about a ramp up the middle of the extra wide staircase, for riding

up or
down. Of course for variety you have the option of riding the rough

line. ;-)

Of course, landscape gardening would be taken to new levels, with
gardeners struggling to come to terms with "berms", "doubles" and
"the flow"...

Unlimited funds eh? How big is a velodrome again?

I heard of a guy who was building his own track on his rural property
near Perth. A standard 250m track needs too much banking (~45 degrees)
for a DIY'er to handle I think, but the Midland track is 400m, bitumen
and looks to be about 5 degrees banking, (which is plenty for
sprinting). 400m track goes around a football field, needs about 1.6
hectares of land. You should do that
Old August 22nd 03, 02:43 PM
M Gagnon

"Luther Blissett"

I live in a gound floor apartment with tiles on the floor. I just throw
my bike in the door .. no worrying about carrying it upstairs, or down
the hall past various flatmates' piles of garbage.

Great. I too live in a ground floor appartment, with a no-step entry to the
kitchen. I have hardwood floors, which I find equally convenient. Just make
the kitchen door a bit wider so I can roll in easily with the child trailer.

There is a "bedroom" that is used for bike storage and maintenance. I would
add a grille and a water drain underneath so the snow can melt off the bike
without any interference or problem. Right now, I use a rubber mat and wipe
if a few times while snow melts. When it snows outdoors, I pick up anything
from 0,5 L to 5 L of water which comes from snow melting off tires, rims,
brakes....

BTW, this comes from a Canadian who likes these ideas, but who lives in a
real 4-season climate. It's now +30 C, but this Winter, we might go down
to -30 C. Great for cycling!

Regards,

Michel Gagnon

Old August 22nd 03, 02:49 PM
Jeff

"hippy" wrote in message
I was thinking right? (yes, THAT's what that noise was!)
With all that home improvement rubbish on TV, what
would cyclists do if they had to design a house, given
unlimited funds?

I'm talking about cycling related design ideas and
improvements only!

To start the wheel rolling, the first design feature
of my new house would be double-width doors
and hallways!
Why? Because I am sick to death of banging my
bikes into door frames, doors and walls!

So, does anyone have any nifty ideas for making
a cyclist's dream home that little bit better?

I'd have the back entrance (with ramp, as needed) open into a large area
with space and equipment for maintaining and storing my bikes (as well as
coats, boots, etc).

Old August 22nd 03, 03:18 PM
Rick Onanian

On 22 Aug 2003 06:51:07 -0700, Luigi de Guzman wrote:
A lot of houses have them--garages. Pity they're usually full of
automobile...

I've never seen a garage full of automobile. They're
always full of other stuff.

"In Manila," he said, "the thieves will cut through a wall like this
to get inside."

I've always wondered why thieves don't do that here.
We put heavy steel locks on doors, then leave the wall
right next to it made of the following layers:
Plaster or wallpaper or paint
Sheetrock / drywall
2x4 or 2x6 studs every 16 inches
Insulation, wiring, plumbing inside
1/2" plywood
Siding -- Vinyl, wood, etc.

Seems to me, under a minute with a cordless
reciprocating saw, or 20 seconds with a sledgehammer,
and you've got a hole you can reach in and unlock the
door.

At my house, we have a deadbolt that uses a key on
both sides instead of having a handle on one side;
when that's locked, you'll have to break a window to
come in. Like that's so hard to do...

So for maximum home/bike security, I'll go with solid brick or stone
walls....

A brick veneer over the first floor of a standard
stick-framed house ought to suffice. Those stone
veneers sure are pretty, though...

http://www.dukeconcrete.com/images/D...Veneer%202.jpg

-Luigi
practical pig