"A Few Bad Apples"

Old June 15th 12, 01:58 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default "A Few Bad Apples"

"A few" bad apples? More like MILLIONS. More like a whole bad variety of "humans".

Mike

To: david

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:07:25 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Issaquah alps trail club wants grand ridge / mtn bikers using
Grand Ridge for race training

Dave,

funny you should mention riders going fast around blind corners. about 3 weeks ago i was doing a mellow bro-ride on Grand Ridge to Duthie and back..Â

on the way back, there was this 55-60 year old guy in full kitted up Hagens- Berman race gear head to toe and get this, he's climbing up super fast  while i'm going down slow because i know  there are a bunch of blind corners and a variety of trail users on a saturday afternoon here. Â

this guy comes around on a $8,000 Specialized Epic race bike around a blind corner a warp speed and is about 15 feet away from me with his head totally down and not looking to what is ahead of him ......i say, 'rider up' and dude grabs a ton of front brake and launches himself over the bars in front of me. he smacked his head on the ground pretty hard and had a concussion. i stayed with him for 15 minutes until he was calm and made sure he was ok and with a friend to finish the ride. he had a bloody cut on his nose from his glasses as well.....and get this, it was all while he was climbing!  to see someone climbing at this pace around blind corners would have scared the crap out of any causal cyclist or hiker. i later learned that this racer almost ran into my friend who was 500 yards ahead of me....and after that occurrence he still didn't slow down.Â

granted Grand Ridge is a great place for racers to help with their climbing fitness, but i'm starting to feel that many are using this as a full blown race-training course with little regard for the casual rider or cyclist. i'm glad this cyclist was ok, but for the racers out there, please try to remember that this is a multi-use trail....and we don't want a few bad apples to spoil all the hard work and efforts of those who have done countless hours of trailwork to keep Grand Ridge open and in great shape to ride.Â

hopefully with some gentle communication to racers we can ask them to be mindful of other types of users on the trail and ask them to slow down around the many blind corners on Grand Ridge.

thanks,

eric