A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Mountain Biking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

"A Few Bad Apples"

Old June 15th 12, 01:58 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default "A Few Bad Apples"

"A few" bad apples? More like MILLIONS. More like a whole bad variety of "humans".

Mike

To: david
Cc:

List-Subscribe:
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:07:25 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Issaquah alps trail club wants grand ridge / mtn bikers using
Grand Ridge for race training

Dave,

funny you should mention riders going fast around blind corners. about 3 weeks ago i was doing a mellow bro-ride on Grand Ridge to Duthie and back..Â

on the way back, there was this 55-60 year old guy in full kitted up Hagens- Berman race gear head to toe and get this, he's climbing up super fast  while i'm going down slow because i know  there are a bunch of blind corners and a variety of trail users on a saturday afternoon here. Â

this guy comes around on a $8,000 Specialized Epic race bike around a blind corner a warp speed and is about 15 feet away from me with his head totally down and not looking to what is ahead of him ......i say, 'rider up' and dude grabs a ton of front brake and launches himself over the bars in front of me. he smacked his head on the ground pretty hard and had a concussion. i stayed with him for 15 minutes until he was calm and made sure he was ok and with a friend to finish the ride. he had a bloody cut on his nose from his glasses as well.....and get this, it was all while he was climbing!  to see someone climbing at this pace around blind corners would have scared the crap out of any causal cyclist or hiker. i later learned that this racer almost ran into my friend who was 500 yards ahead of me....and after that occurrence he still didn't slow down.Â

granted Grand Ridge is a great place for racers to help with their climbing fitness, but i'm starting to feel that many are using this as a full blown race-training course with little regard for the casual rider or cyclist. i'm glad this cyclist was ok, but for the racers out there, please try to remember that this is a multi-use trail....and we don't want a few bad apples to spoil all the hard work and efforts of those who have done countless hours of trailwork to keep Grand Ridge open and in great shape to ride.Â

hopefully with some gentle communication to racers we can ask them to be mindful of other types of users on the trail and ask them to slow down around the many blind corners on Grand Ridge.

thanks,

eric

----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:23:35 PM
Subject: Issaquah alps trail club wants grand ridge

Â

This brings up the fact I've had some close calls with riders going to fast around blind corners. I kind of expect it so it's not a big deal but would be fro an Alps type.

Showing up for work parties is a great way to get involved and keep on good terms with the county.

Watch the skidding and corner short cutting, it makes the trail look bad.

--- In
, Craig Martin craigmmartin@... wrote:

That would be awful, it's my commuter route to Duthie, and my regular grind
ride. I always run into hikers there, and always stop to say hello to avoid
them hating on bikers. With the neighborhoods so close to Grand Ridge I can
see why those trails are popular with hikers, even with all of Tiger just a
stone's throw away.

[mailto: ] On
Behalf Of kenobonn
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 10:23 AM
To:

Subject: Issaquah alps trail club wants grand ridge

Thanks for the heads up. Did they say that publicly, or was this an
overheard comment? Also, do they actually have plans to take more away from
us, or is this just a wish from a single member?

Only reason I'm asking, is that it seems odd to discuss Grand Ridge during a
meeting dedicated to St Eds.

--- In
mailto:bbtcmembers%40yahoogroups.com ,
Craig Mckinnon CraigSMcKinnon@ wrote:

Look out !, IATC yuk!

I heard at the Big finnhill meeting tonight. That the Hiking group the

Issaquah Alps trail club wants Grand Ridge! to be hiking only.
Although they told us mt bikers to go to Grand Ridge Years ago So they

could continue to have most of tiger and all of cougar mt to hiker only to
themselves.
Perhaps you rember the IATC at the big meeting in Issaquah last winter.
They have power and they are not our friends.

Craig S. Mckinnon
www.juanitaelectric.com
9006 NE 133rd PL
Kirkland, WA 98034
425-503-8261

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic
Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
Visit Your Group
Please help us protect and create trails through your donation or volunteer effort. Support Evergreen. http://evergreenmtb.org/support

Have questions, comments, or concerns? Please contact us; see http://evergreenmtb.org/contact for contact info.
Ads