Critical Mass - Fundamentalist Plonkers?

Old November 30th 07, 10:01 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Harry 'Snapper' Organ

Default Critical Mass - Fundamentalist Plonkers?

I see that Critical Mass continues to set the image of cycling back
with its acts of mass stupidity.

Well done!

Regards
Harold

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius
Old November 30th 07, 11:11 PM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

Harry 'Snapper' Organ wrote:
I see that Critical Mass continues to set the image of cycling back
with its acts of mass stupidity.

Well done!

Whether one agrees with their actions or not... (and I don't particularly).

Why on Earth are you calling them Fundamentalists? [1]

G-S

[1] Or do you mean fundamentally (note no capital F).
Old November 30th 07, 11:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 01 Dec 2007 09:11:04 +1100
G-S wrote:
Harry 'Snapper' Organ wrote:
I see that Critical Mass continues to set the image of cycling back
with its acts of mass stupidity.

Well done!

Whether one agrees with their actions or not... (and I don't particularly).

Why on Earth are you calling them Fundamentalists? [1]

Umm... cos they have taken a couple of simple ideas and made them the
core and totality of their religion, and refuse to see there can be
any other interpretation? And they think anyone who disagrees in any
way is evil and unclean and has nasty motives?

"Fundamentalism" was orginally ( I thought late 1800s but I saw
recently 1920s) a label applied to people who agreed with a set of
pamphlets/books/statements called "The Fundamentals of Christianity"
which sought to strip away accretions and bring the religion back to a
more pure state by getting together in one place the basics as they
understood it.

Over time it's come to mean anyone who has a literalist and rigid
interpretation of a book or creed and who refuses to see there's any
other way to think or do, and further considers people who do
interpret things differently as not just misguided but actively evil.

See also anti-triathlete types...

Zebee
Old December 1st 07, 12:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote:

Umm... cos they have taken a couple of simple ideas and made them the
core and totality of their religion, and refuse to see there can be
any other interpretation? And they think anyone who disagrees in any
way is evil and unclean and has nasty motives?

Have you actually taken part in any Critical Mass rides?

Because a fleeting glimpse from the roadside, or worse still, on the TV or
via Laws/Jones/Mitchell's rantings is not a valid way to judge the
behaviours and motivations of the diverse cyclists that take part in a
Critical Mass.

Some have extreme views and are very self-opinionated. Aren't we all at aone
time or another? A lot of the errant behaviour actually gets weeded out by
the more moderate approach of the long-term riders.

Lots of the cyclists on Critical Mass just want to be able to go ride their
bikes, to work, shops and for fun, without being run off the road by
motorists, with a greater level of respect and in a more supportive, less
threatening environment. Don't you want that?

Many Critical Mass riders also own and use a car at certain times too!

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old December 1st 07, 01:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
vintage

"PeteSig" wrote in message

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote:

[...]

All I see is angry motorists and how that actually helps the cause and
changes their views I don't know.

We as a whole are much better off just thanking drivers that do the right
thing etc when out on the road and trying that way. Anyone that lets me go
by, stops for me etc always gets a smile and thank you gesture.

Old December 1st 07, 02:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

G-S wrote:
Harry 'Snapper' Organ wrote:
I see that Critical Mass continues to set the image of cycling back
with its acts of mass stupidity.

Well done!

Whether one agrees with their actions or not... (and I don't particularly).

Why on Earth are you calling them Fundamentalists? [1]

Over time it's come to mean anyone who has a literalist and rigid
interpretation of a book or creed and who refuses to see there's any
other way to think or do snip

Hmmm... *googles*

Interesting.

I have _never_ heard it used that way, but the dictionary supports you.

At least I know why the OP called them 'fundamentalists' now though

G-S
Old December 1st 07, 02:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_2_]

"Vintage" wrote in message ...
All I see is angry motorists and how that actually helps the cause and
changes their views I don't know.

All I see is angry motorists too, but that has nothing to do with Critical Mass.

It's because they are stuck in gridlock, while fantasising about a solo, unimpeded jaunt through the wilderness - as it looks in 4wd
ads all the time.

T.

Old December 1st 07, 03:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 30 Nov 2007 23:49:49 GMT
PeteSig wrote:

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote:

Umm... cos they have taken a couple of simple ideas and made them the
core and totality of their religion, and refuse to see there can be
any other interpretation? And they think anyone who disagrees in any
way is evil and unclean and has nasty motives?

Have you actually taken part in any Critical Mass rides?

Because a fleeting glimpse from the roadside, or worse still, on the TV or
via Laws/Jones/Mitchell's rantings is not a valid way to judge the
behaviours and motivations of the diverse cyclists that take part in a
Critical Mass.

So they say. And yet what is the outcome? What good does it do?

I won't take part *because* of the results. WHich I couldn't change
but would only reinforce.

Some have extreme views and are very self-opinionated. Aren't we all at aone
time or another? A lot of the errant behaviour actually gets weeded out by
the more moderate approach of the long-term riders.

really? Then how come those who see it don't see that? What do the
moderates do, how can they change what the image is?

(and isn't it interesting that when there's trouble CM say "no one is
in control" but then people say there is control.... Peer pressure is
also known as the madness of crowds...)

Lots of the cyclists on Critical Mass just want to be able to go ride their
bikes, to work, shops and for fun, without being run off the road by
motorists, with a greater level of respect and in a more supportive, less
threatening environment. Don't you want that?

Oddly enough, I find the way to do that is ride. Every day. Not in
one big angry lump that only reinforces the idea that bikes are
dangerous singly and also that riders are selfish *******s.

Instead I ride sensibly on the road to work. And you know... I don't
get run off the road. I get about as many incidents as I get when
driving a car or riding a motorcycle.

But you know when I talk to people about CM do I get "oh, I should be
more careful of bicycles"? Like hell I do.

Instead I get told cyclists are immature selfish ******s who get all
this money spent on them and then clog up the roads.

If CM is about "ride their bikes [...] with a greater level of respect
in a more supportive less threatening environment" then it's failing.

because it doesn't generate respect. It is respectless and gets what
it gives.

You ask anyone who *isn't* a cyclist about CM. If they know it,
they'll dis it, if they don't and you tell them what happens, they'll
dis it. So, this helps how?

Now, Critical Manners,
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGB6P8R1U1.DTL
they would be much better at generating the attitude you say CM wishes
to generate.

But it doesn't give the riders that feeling of power, and so wouldn't
get much support I expect.

Tell you what.... when Critical Mass runs a ride to the rules of
Critical Manners I'll join in. Cos it will be just like any of the
daily rides where I interact respectfully to other road users and they
return respect to me. It will make motorists re think when they see
this big bunch obeying rules, not caring about being split up,
smiling, and generating respect.

I do my bit for cyclists on the road every day I ride on the road.
every time I do the shopping, every time I go to work, every time I
say "thank you" to the people on the cycle path and wave to drivers
who give way, and move over when I can to let cars by me. I hope I
undo some of the damage CM does.

Many Critical Mass riders also own and use a car at certain times too!

So? I haven't owned a car for 20 years. It isn't relevant. It isn't
about car vs bike. It is about respect and sensible road use. CM has
neither.

Zebee
Old December 1st 07, 03:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 1 Dec 2007 12:58:49 +1100
Tomasso wrote:

"Vintage" wrote in message ...
All I see is angry motorists and how that actually helps the cause and
changes their views I don't know.

All I see is angry motorists too, but that has nothing to do with Critical Mass.

It's because they are stuck in gridlock, while fantasising about a solo, unimpeded jaunt through the wilderness - as it looks in 4wd
ads all the time.

You must have a weird way of looking at people. And ride at odd
times.

I see plenty of motorists who aren't stuck in gridlock. Sure, some
are, sometimes.

But then just watch cyclists who are angry if someone says they should
stop at red lights, or not ride on the footpath.

I think it's really funny how cycle activists pretend cyclists don't get
angry if they are held up. Of course they do. But as breaking the
law is easy and consequences are few they seldom get held up. SO they
can keep pretending.

Zebee
Old December 1st 07, 03:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"Vintage" wrote:

All I see is angry motorists and how that actually helps the cause and
changes their views I don't know.

Just to confirm your level of experience, how many Critical Mass rides have
you been on? (As an actual participant)

Because, having been on a few in Melbourne, my experience is that the
numbers of motorists expressing support for CM is actually quite high, at
least as many as those who honk the horn agressively.

We as a whole are much better off just thanking drivers that do the right
thing etc when out on the road and trying that way. Anyone that lets me
go
by, stops for me etc always gets a smile and thank you gesture.

Hey, great. This is actually what Critical Mass riders do while on the ride.
Revolutionary, huh?

--
Cheers
Peter