4mm screws that take 5mm Allen key? (thinly-disguised rant...)

Old June 28th 04, 07:02 PM
PeteCresswell

Default 4mm screws that take 5mm Allen key? (thinly-disguised rant...)

Is this the first instruction manual you've read? I think most cover their
asses in much the same way...

Most of the stuff I buy is below the level at which mfrs provide instructions.
Old June 29th 04, 12:15 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Ugh... 2-bolts are incredibly flexy (the bolts do virtually nothing in
response to torque around an axis through the center of the bike and
handlebar)... on the magnitude of an inch of deflection at the ends of the
handlebars!!!

Although I can distinguish between the flex inherant in the 5" risers I was
using and that from the 2-bolt stem what was on there with it; it's obvious even
to me that the new setup with 2.5" risers and the Thompson stem is a *lot*
stiffer....rock-solid, even.....and that's the main reason I went over to a
semi-custom bike - to get the extra steering tube so I could mount a normal
bar/stem setup.
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 29th 04, 02:39 AM
KLydesdale

"ZeeExSixAre" wrote in message

"John Morgan" wrote in message
KLydesdale wrote:

You should just grind slots in all the fasteners on your bike. That

way
you only have to carry a flat-bladed screw-driver.

Why? I'd rather just carry a multi-tool with the common size hex

wrenches
in it.

He forgot the smiley.

--

I forgot how to do the one showing tongue firmly implanted in cheek.

Old June 29th 04, 02:50 AM
KLydesdale

"PeteCresswell" wrote in message
om...
Is this the first instruction manual you've read? I think most cover

their
asses in much the same way...

Most of the stuff I buy is below the level at which mfrs provide

instructions.

No need to consult the instruction manual for those specs on some stems.
Check out the fine print on the faceplate of this Specialized one.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProd...sionIdroot=f0r
ostvr16.j27010

Now somebody's thinking!

Old June 29th 04, 04:34 AM
ZeeExSixAre

KLydesdale wrote:
"PeteCresswell" wrote in message
om...
Is this the first instruction manual you've read? I think most
cover their asses in much the same way...

Most of the stuff I buy is below the level at which mfrs provide
instructions.

No need to consult the instruction manual for those specs on some
stems. Check out the fine print on the faceplate of this Specialized
one.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProd...sionIdroot=f0r
ostvr16.j27010

Now somebody's thinking!

Have you seen some of Specialized's short road stems? Check out an Allez or
Roubaix and look closely at the body of the stem... the tribal-looking lines
on the stem are actually tiny tiny words... the standard fare of course
(alloy, heat treated, torques, etc.)

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old June 29th 04, 02:07 PM
PeteCresswell

No need to consult the instruction manual for those specs on some stems.
Check out the fine print on the faceplate of this Specialized one.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProd...sionIdroot=f0r
ostvr16.j27010

Now somebody's thinking!

100% agreed. It's also nice that they show length/rise.
Old June 30th 04, 03:56 AM
Benjamin Weiner

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
RE/
.. .

Ahhh! the coup de Grace: "WARNING: Use only specially-designed Thomson shims
with the Thompson Stem. Standard shims will not work."

I'm guessing that "shims" are what I call "spacers".

What, are these guys on drugs?

http://www.lhthomson.com/stemfaq.asp

You're overthinking.

"Shims" are what adapt a 1-1/8" stem to a 1" steer tube.

BTW, I have never touched a Thomson stem, but I bet the
screws that take a 4mm hex wrench are 5mm diameter, not 4mm.