Avanti bikes.

Old September 29th 04, 04:53 AM
Bikesoiler

Default Avanti bikes.

Fish! (mmm Thecla) Wrote:
In article ,
says...

Patrick88 Wrote:
What do you guys think of them? I have spoken to people who believ

the
bikes to be rubbish. I have found they are not too good at blendin

two
types of materials. What do you think?

i think it is funny that this is the 2nd or 3rd person to bring this
up in the past 6 months.......i think that this is because avant

bikes
are poo!

Ive broken 6 avanti frames (road and MTB) and my friend has broken 2
(MTB). A shame, because 10 years ago they made the most bomb proo

MTB
frames, then they started getting crap alloy frames from taiwan, and
well, its all gone downhill really...

--
byron27

Umm, at what point did you start thinking, 'hey perhaps I'd bette
stop
buying Avanti's??'

Maybe he got new frames under warranty.
I've only heard good things about Avanti's warranty. Sure you may stom
the frame & crack/break it but they will replace it. Other brands (on
starts with G) won't do this

--
Bikesoiler

Old September 29th 04, 04:57 AM
byron27

Bikesoiler Wrote:
Maybe he got new frames under warranty.
I've only heard good things about Avanti's warranty. Sure you may stom
the frame & crack/break it but they will replace it. Other brands (on
starts with G) won't do this.

yep, all the frames were under warranty and i didnt have the money t
go down the "new frame" path at that stage. Granted, they were ver
responsive when it came to coming up good on the warranty. Its just th
quality in the first place that was the problem

--
byron2

Old October 5th 04, 11:22 PM
malcomm

Patrick88 Wrote:
What do you guys think of them? I have spoken to people who believe th
bikes to be rubbish. I have found they are not too good at blending tw
types of materials. What do you think?

I've had a 1999 "Corsa Pro Team" road bike and a top of the line 200
hardtail (can't remember the model). No problems with either and the
were given a hard time by me
Several dealings with Avanti by email for parts etc and found them t
be extremely helpfull
Biggest problem with them is its not a glamour brand. Most peopl
thinks its all cheap crap but its not

--
malcomm

Old October 6th 04, 03:07 AM
warrwych

malcomm Wrote:

Biggest problem with them is its not a glamour brand. Most peopl
thinks its all cheap crap but its not.

My not so local LBS told me when I bought my 2001 middle of rang
Avanti hardtail that Avanti had a good reputation for building soli
reliable (mtb) frames! So there you go .... I am not big (50kg) but a
very good at dropping the bike on its side, into holes, into ocean dee
puddles, into trees, into rocks etc and apart from some scratches an
paint chips it's like my old diesel landcruiser - just keeps on going
no problems at all.

I agree with Malcomm - they are not a glamour brand and I have notice
ppl wrinkling their noses at it.. I guess they have a hayfeve
problem??
;

--
warrwych

Old October 6th 04, 04:43 AM
suzyj

Patrick88 wrote:

What do you guys think of them?

My Avanti Strada is the best bike I've ever owned. It was bought fo
me by my parents (used) in about 1985, and I've been riding it eve
since. Sure, I've replaced some bits along the way, but it's given m
sterling service.

See http://tinyurl.com/4dhbf

Cheers,

Suzy (reminiscing

--
suzyj

Old October 6th 04, 04:57 AM
Fish! (mmm Thecla)

In article ,
says...

Patrick88 wrote:

What do you guys think of them?

My Avanti Strada is the best bike I've ever owned. It was bought for
me by my parents (used) in about 1985, and I've been riding it ever
since. Sure, I've replaced some bits along the way, but it's given me
sterling service.

See
http://tinyurl.com/4dhbf

Cheers,

Suzy (reminiscing)

--
suzyj

"Just a few months later, I snapped the frame" I'm confused, did you
snap the frame of the bike then go on to say that it's the best you've
ever had?
Old October 6th 04, 05:34 AM
suzyj

Fish! (mmm Thecla) wrote:

"Just a few months later, I snapped the frame" I'm confused, did
you snap the frame of the bike then go on to say that it's the best
you've ever had?

Well, I did say I've replaced a few (actually, a lot more than a few
bits over the years. In fact, even since I wrote that post last year
the bike's got a new frame...

Regards,

Suzy (who hasn't bought a whole bike at once since the early nineties

--
suzyj

Old October 6th 04, 09:52 AM
Juha P

Fish! (mmm Thecla) :

Replacing the frame, is a weeny bit more that a part, and given
the fact that this thread is all about Avanti strengths, I'm not
sure that having one break is the best advertisement for buying
one....

Could not resist dropping in from all the way up here. I recently
"upgraded" the frame of my first roadie, and now the Cinelli
saddle on its SR seatpost are the last original parts remaining
(I haven't bought another complete cycle since the early 80's
either).

Reading of this process reminded me of Joshua Slocum, the first
person to sail around the world alone. In his book he wrote that
realizing the extent of repairs his boat "Spray" needed for the
journey, he got worried and contacted Lloyd's register. They
confirmed him that legally "Spray" will remain the same "Spray"
even if every plank and nail is replaced.

In this sense I can also say that my "Nishiki Trim Master" is the
best bike I have had so far - even if it says "Somec Supercorsa" on
the current frame

http://home.nycap.rr.com/sailingalon...z/webdoc3.html

Greetings from the Finnish autumn..
Juha P
--
þ)osti
Old October 6th 04, 11:02 AM
Peter Cremasco

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:34:32 +1000, suzyj
wrote:

Fish! (mmm Thecla) wrote:

"Just a few months later, I snapped the frame" I'm confused, did
you snap the frame of the bike then go on to say that it's the best
you've ever had?

Well, I did say I've replaced a few (actually, a lot more than a few)
bits over the years. In fact, even since I wrote that post last year,
the bike's got a new frame...

My grand-dad had an axe like that. Bloody best axe ever made. It's
lasted 50 years. The head has been replaced four times, and the handle
about 25 times, but geez it's a bloody good axe.

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]