What American Cities are Missing: Bikes by the Thousands

Old May 20th 07, 10:55 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
george conklin

Default What American Cities are Missing: Bikes by the Thousands

"Anymouse" none wrote in message

"george conklin" wrote in message
news

"John Mara" wrote in message
george conklin wrote:

As Calcutta outlaws pedicabs, they are now fashionable with the New
Urbanist crowd. You can take home some stuff on one, if you agree to
walk next to it. That ought to please those who want to go back in
time.

Pedicabs are popular enough in New York that the city council has
enacted regulations for them.

http://www.newsday.com/search/sns-ap...,2759553.story

--
John Mara

Yes, just as the third world is getting rid of such exploitation of
workers, NYC is starting up with its hazy visions of great the past used
to be.

"exploitation of workers"? Ridiculous! It's called capitalism and it's not
exploitative. I sometimes agree with you but your wrong this time.

But the reason I posted is why major cities in the third world are
getting rid of pedicabs. That is the reason given there. I think it
applies here too.

Old May 20th 07, 11:01 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Amy Blankenship

"John Mara" wrote in message
george conklin wrote:

As Calcutta outlaws pedicabs, they are now fashionable with the New
Urbanist crowd. You can take home some stuff on one, if you agree to
walk next to it. That ought to please those who want to go back in
time.

Pedicabs are popular enough in New York that the city council has
enacted regulations for them.

http://www.newsday.com/search/sns-ap...,2759553.story

--
John Mara

Yes, just as the third world is getting rid of such exploitation of
workers, NYC is starting up with its hazy visions of great the past used
to be.

"exploitation of workers"? Ridiculous! It's called capitalism and it's not
exploitative. I sometimes agree with you but your wrong this time.

George only likes market forces when they encourage things he likes
anyway...

Old May 21st 07, 01:35 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
Joe the Aroma

"John Mara" wrote in message
george conklin wrote:

[...]

Well doesn't everyone? That's the purpose of market forces... to encourage
"things you like".

Old May 21st 07, 06:07 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit

In article .net,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

So, next week I'm going to Olympia for work, that's 50 miles, and there' s
no decent public transport from here to there, so I'll be driving down the
5. But as it has been pointed out repeatedly, most people aren't going 50
miles, they're going 5. "Too far" is defined as a half mile, not five. The
five mile or less trips: - to the park and ride when I was too lazy to ride
my bike the whole way in to work, to the post office, to the drug store, to
religious services - I did these by bike or on foot.

It's interesting that I have never heard I-5 referred to as "the 5" until
the past 2-3 years or so. And I was born in Portland. Is this the way
people in the Seattle area refer to the interstate highways? Or just I-5?

While there is probably no decent public transportation for what you want
to do, at least Metro does operate the express bus service that operates
on I-5 between most of the major metropolitan centers in the Seattle
area. Here in Portland such bus lines do not exist, even though a
Portland-Salem service would probably be quite full in both directions.
The current Salem-Wilsonville service seems to be quite full, but
considering it doesn't serve Portland a major piece of the puzzle is
missing, but Seattle seems to have that much together at least.

--
-Glennl
The despammed service works OK, but unfortunately
Old May 21st 07, 06:10 AM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default governments are accountable

In article .net,
"george conklin" wrote:

Those of you who worship the past are in for a rude shock when the time
arrives when the human animal once again becomes a beast of burden. You are
betting that you will be able to hire someone else to do your work for you.

So, North Carolina still has Automat restaurants instead of hand-assembled
fast food?

Old May 21st 07, 12:06 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,misc.transport.urban-transit
george conklin

wrote in message
.net...
In article k.net,
says...

In the third world they view the entire industry as exploiting. We
should
be ashamed of ourselves bringing the pedicab back. It shows how morally
bankrupt the New Urbanism is.

Do you consider all manual labor morally inferior

Pedicabs are not manual labor. It is considered to be abusive labor.

What American Cities are Missing: Bikes by the Thousands donquijote1954 General 360 June 12th 07 05:16 PM
American bikes best! yourbuddy General 2 December 21st 05 01:47 AM
NYC Power Proclamation Sets Lead for American Cities Cycle America General 0 April 28th 05 10:48 PM
NYC Power Proclamation Sets Lead for American Cities Cycle America Rides 0 April 28th 05 10:48 PM
Do good value for performance bikes have to be American? Jo Stoller UK 23 June 15th 04 08:31 PM