GP surgery cycle parking

Old July 11th 07, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul George

Default GP surgery cycle parking

Just had a letter from my GP saying they are remodelling the surgery.
They make a big fuss over how much more car parking there will be
but no mention of cycle parking.
I am afraid thet if I just say 'cycle parking' to them we will end
up with a couple of wheel-benders hidden round the back of the
building.
Does anyone know where to find a picture of what good cycle
parking should look like.
I think covered sheffield stands in clear view at the front of the
building will do the job.

Old July 11th 07, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 04:43:09 -0700 someone who may be Paul George
wrote this:-

I am afraid thet if I just say 'cycle parking' to them we will end
up with a couple of wheel-benders hidden round the back of the
building.
Does anyone know where to find a picture of what good cycle
parking should look like.
I think covered sheffield stands in clear view at the front of the
building will do the job.

You don't say where you are roughly. It may be that there are some
very good standards drawn up by your council or another public body
you could point to.

Alternatively ISTR that Sustrans do a sheet on the subject which is
reasonable.

Search engines should find these and photographs of what to do and
what to avoid.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old July 11th 07, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Paul George said the following on 11/07/2007 12:43:
Just had a letter from my GP saying they are remodelling the surgery.
They make a big fuss over how much more car parking there will be
but no mention of cycle parking.

You should, of course, point out the health benefits of cycling and ask
that they provide more cycle parking than car parking.

If people thought that they might not be able to park when they drive to
the surgery with a cold, they might suddenly become healthier :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old July 11th 07, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul George

On 11 Jul, 13:26, David Hansen
wrote:

You don't say where you are roughly.

Bromborough, Wirral

Alternatively ISTR that Sustrans do a sheet on the subject which is
reasonable.

Perfect, thanks.

Old July 11th 07, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim[_2_]

Just had a letter from my GP saying they are remodelling the surgery.
They make a big fuss over how much more car parking there will be
but no mention of cycle parking.
I am afraid thet if I just say 'cycle parking' to them we will end
up with a couple of wheel-benders hidden round the back of the
building.
Does anyone know where to find a picture of what good cycle
parking should look like.
I think covered sheffield stands in clear view at the front of the
building will do the job.

Broxap might be a good start
http://www.broxap.com/categories.asp?cID=23

HTH

Tim
--
http://www.timdenning.myby.co.uk/

Old July 11th 07, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Paul George wrote:
Just had a letter from my GP saying they are remodelling the surgery.
They make a big fuss over how much more car parking there will be
but no mention of cycle parking.
I am afraid thet if I just say 'cycle parking' to them we will end
up with a couple of wheel-benders hidden round the back of the
building.

My local practice has a cycle rack.

It's mounted right next to a shed.

The workman didn't know much about
cycles racks.

The slots face towards the shed,
not away :-)

BugBear (who has complained)
Old July 11th 07, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

"bugbear" wrote in message
Paul George wrote:
Just had a letter from my GP saying they are remodelling the surgery.
They make a big fuss over how much more car parking there will be
but no mention of cycle parking.
I am afraid thet if I just say 'cycle parking' to them we will end
up with a couple of wheel-benders hidden round the back of the
building.

My local practice has a cycle rack.

It's mounted right next to a shed.

The workman didn't know much about
cycles racks.

The slots face towards the shed,
not away :-)

BugBear (who has complained)

The GP surgery I occasionally attend had a cycle rack installed. Alas, it's
a cruddy wheelbender one where is you put the back wheel in, you risk
wrecking your rear mech and if you put your front wheel in, you risk your
bike falling over and/or getting a bent wheel. There's loads of space and
there's enough room for a row of Sheffield stands. Alas, no cyclists amongst
the staff though.

Old July 11th 07, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

wrote this:-

I am afraid thet if I just say 'cycle parking' to them we will end
up with a couple of wheel-benders hidden round the back of the
building.
Does anyone know where to find a picture of what good cycle
parking should look like.
I think covered sheffield stands in clear view at the front of the
building will do the job.

You don't say where you are roughly. It may be that there are some
very good standards drawn up by your council or another public body
you could point to.

Alternatively ISTR that Sustrans do a sheet on the subject which is
reasonable.

A quick search gives:
http://www.tfw.org.uk/documents/Sust...gsheetFF37.pdf

As someone else said mention the health benefits.

Also mention the benefits to the environment, including
not putting nasty pollutants into the atmosphere.

Martin.
Old July 11th 07, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
wafflycat tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:
"bugbear" wrote in message
Paul George wrote:
[...]

Mine has a staff-only car park and no cycle parking either. Unless, that
is, one sneaks into the car park and locks one's bike to an otherwise
entirely useless knee-high railing thing which runs parallel to the wall of
the building :-)

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk