Giraffe Discussion Thread

Old July 24th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Default Giraffe Discussion Thread

MuniSano wrote:
Trials Uni & 3 wheeler multi-tasking question:

I have a Nimbus Trials Uni with Maxxis Creepy Crawler Tire. I'd like
to buy a couple of the Nimbus extension kits:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1183

(Oh I also own a Sun 5' Giraffe, crappy but still a lot of fun)

I've asked UDC this and they said yes.

Since a trials tire is slightly smaller in diameter than a 20X1.95,
slippage may be more of a problem at lower air pressures. You may want
to try a larger tire on one or more of the 20's (Schwalbe makes a 2.35"
& others make 2.25 tires).

One concern was if the bearings on your current wheel weren't 40 mm.
If it wasn't and it didn't work (you could grind out the bearing
surfaces on the extensions), it'd be on you. I've heard of people
putting 42mm bearings in non-machined bearing caps w/ supposedly no
problems.

Multi wheel unis are inherently not sturdy and don't take UPD's well
(the extensions can bend making it hard or impossible to ride. It's
best to always catch it.

If it's built as one unit, w/o extensions it can be stronger. You can
only get those custom made, I believe you can still get it done at The
Unicycle Factory.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old July 24th 08, 08:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Fraggle

unicycledood wrote:
there is absolutely no point what so ever in this machine :s

Because?

--
Fraggle
Old July 24th 08, 08:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SkierAlex

Fraggle wrote:
Hello, just built up a giraffe-uni, so here are some pics. Let me know
what you think.

http://tinyurl.com/6zsq5n

http://tinyurl.com/5ulhyw

http://tinyurl.com/57lt66

http://tinyurl.com/5eoa7e

F.

Awesome. Can you ride it? The seat looks too low for it to be ridden.
Still sweet though.

--
SkierAlex

You've highlighted my sig'.' (http://tinyurl.com/5kbxhv)
Old July 24th 08, 09:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Fraggle

Not yet, as it's built with a freewheel to see how it looks. I'm goin to
town in a bit to see if theres a fixed wheel sprocket for it so I can
ride it today, if not then I'm gettin one off ebay so I can ride it at
the weekend.

F.

--
Fraggle
Old July 24th 08, 09:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SkierAlex

Fraggle wrote:
Not yet, as it's built with a freewheel to see how it looks. I'm goin to
town in a bit to see if theres a fixed wheel sprocket for it so I can
ride it today, if not then I'm gettin one off ebay so I can ride it at
the weekend.

F.

Just like weld up the bearings on the free wheel hub lol. I think
that's what my friend did when he made a giraffe.

Old July 24th 08, 11:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
someunicyclist

Will the extensions from UDC attach to every brand unicycle or only to
nimbuses. Will they attach to my Torker LX 20 in?

--
someunicyclist
Old July 24th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Fraggle

First vid, the other vid is processing.

Head tilting required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKCIjwmbZ6Q

F.

--
Fraggle
Old August 2nd 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Kerv

johnfoss wrote:
You can get by with imperfect friction on a multi-wheeler. You don't
want the tires so hard that it takes loads of effort to pedal, but you
should expect it to be a little bit of work for a properly-calibrated
multi-wheeler to ride safely.

Any suggestions on how exactly to "properly calibrate" a 3 wheeler?
From blind experimenting, I usually have it set up so that the bottom
tire is fully inflated, the top tire is partially inflated and the
center tire is flat. I would love to know your approximate pressures
for all three tires.

johnfoss wrote:
That said, if the wheels occasionally slip a bit when you pedal or hit
the brakes, as long as it's only a bit, it should remain quite
rideable. You just have to get used to the idea, and make sure it's not
slipping too much.

What is slipping a bit? 1/8th rev? 1/4 rev? 1/2 rev? We (my sons and
me) have been having some trouble in getting the right balance between
too much slip and too much bind. It is good to know that some slip is
normal. We have been trying to eliminate slip, but then everything
gets too tight to roll along with ease.

My kids ride the blasted thing. I am still chickening out as a sit in
the saddle. The extra foot or two of height over my chain-driven
giraffe (a 30 year old blue Oxford - does anyone else have one of
these?) just shows me up for the coward that I am.

--
Kerv
Old August 2nd 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Kerv

Also, any tips for free mounting a 3-wheeler?

Do you step directly from the bottom tire to the low pedal? Or do you
step from the bottom tire to the middle tire and then to the low pedal?

--
Kerv
Old August 2nd 08, 12:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Fraggle

Kerv wrote:
Any suggestions on how exactly to "properly calibrate" a 3 wheeler? From
blind experimenting, I usually have it set up so that the bottom tire is
fully inflated, the top tire is partially inflated and the center tire
is flat. I would love to know your approximate pressures for all three
tires.

What is slipping a bit? 1/8th rev? 1/4 rev? 1/2 rev? We (my sons and
me) have been having some trouble in getting the right balance between
too much slip and too much bind. It is good to know that some slip is
normal. We have been trying to eliminate slip, but then everything
gets too tight to roll along with ease.

When I set up my three wheeler, I usually have the top and bottom tyres
fully inflated, and the middle is barely inflated. The middle tyre, I
usually inflate till it elimenates the slipping. Last time my three
wheeler slipped, was because it was wet out, and each tyre in turn got
the next one wet. Couldn't tell you what pressures I run, as my track
pump is cack and has no gauge. As for making it roll with ease with no
slip, I've thought about putting longer cranks on my three wheeler, to
see if that'd make much of a difference.

Free mounting, I've not done yet, I want to try a running mount, but
the idea of the slip kicking in isn't appealing. I tried a set of
cranks on each wheel so I could climb up, it seemed ok the first time,
but then after riding for a bit the cranks misalign, and aren't often
enough in the right alignment.

F.

--
Fraggle