Using a CC-1

Old August 27th 04, 12:38 PM
Michael Green

Default Using a CC-1

Help me use my CC-1

I'm struggling to get reliable readings of chain wear
from my Park Tools CC-1 (the blue gadget with a moving
pin in one end).

What is the correct technique? Also I note that the pin
in one end seems slightly bent. Are they all like this
or has mine got damaged? Ta.
Old August 27th 04, 01:43 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

michael- I'm struggling to get reliable readings of chain wear
from my Park Tools CC-1 (the blue gadget with a moving
pin in one end). BRBR

Toss that thing. The Park CC-3 works great, the others are junque-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old August 27th 04, 02:58 PM
David Damerell

Michael Green wrote:
I'm struggling to get reliable readings of chain wear
from my Park Tools CC-1 (the blue gadget with a moving
pin in one end).

The easiest procedure is to sell it and use the money to buy a ruler.
--
David Damerell flcl?

Old August 27th 04, 06:31 PM

Michael Green writes:

Help me use my CC-1

I'm struggling to get reliable readings of chain wear from my Park
Tools CC-1 (the blue gadget with a moving pin in one end).

What is the correct technique? Also I note that the pin in one end
seems slightly bent. Are they all like this or has mine got damaged?

Use a ruler or tape measure held next to the lower run of the chain.
CC-1 is just another gimmick that costs money and makes an incorrect
measurement because it includes roller clearance, something that is not
part of chain pitch. Chain pitch, the item of interest is 1/2 inch
and is measured from center to center of an even number of links,
typically 12 inches of chain. One percent of 12.000 is 0.12(5) or
1/8 of and inch. At greater than 1/16" the chain is worn out. At
1/8" it is causing rapid chainwheel damage.

Jobst Brandt

Old August 28th 04, 12:50 AM
Trevor

Michael Green wrote in message ...
Help me use my CC-1

I'm struggling to get reliable readings of chain wear
from my Park Tools CC-1 (the blue gadget with a moving
pin in one end).

What is the correct technique? Also I note that the pin
in one end seems slightly bent. Are they all like this
or has mine got damaged? Ta.

Use a ruler. diameter of pin over 12" is usual y taken as limit of
acceptable wear of a multi-sprocketed bike. This wear rate can be stretched
depending on equipment and user tolerability.

Trevor