Tool for chainring bolts??

Old August 29th 04, 06:58 AM
Jai Ma

Default Tool for chainring bolts??

Is there a special tool for chainring bolts. (not the allen wrench side,
the back side) Usually they just stick while I turn with the allen wrench,
but sometimes they do not. I can often just put a screwdriver in one side
of the little slots, but I have a pesky one that is mounted behind the arm
on a Sugino SD crank and I can't get to it.

Old August 29th 04, 07:15 AM
mark

"Jai Ma" wrote in message
Is there a special tool for chainring bolts. (not the allen wrench side,
the back side) Usually they just stick while I turn with the allen

wrench,
but sometimes they do not. I can often just put a screwdriver in one side
of the little slots, but I have a pesky one that is mounted behind the arm
on a Sugino SD crank and I can't get to it.

There is, it's called a chainring bolt tool. Park makes one, and I used to
have a really neat Campagnolo version.
--
mark

Old August 29th 04, 07:21 AM
Ronald

Is there a special tool for chainring bolts. (not the allen wrench side,
the back side) Usually they just stick while I turn with the allen wrench,
but sometimes they do not. I can often just put a screwdriver in one side
of the little slots, but I have a pesky one that is mounted behind the arm
on a Sugino SD crank and I can't get to it.

This one is really nice:
http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main....ID=0& CID=175

Old August 29th 04, 04:57 PM
Robin Hubert

"Ronald" wrote in message ...
Is there a special tool for chainring bolts. (not the allen wrench side,
the back side) Usually they just stick while I turn with the allen wrench,
but sometimes they do not. I can often just put a screwdriver in one side
of the little slots, but I have a pesky one that is mounted behind the arm
on a Sugino SD crank and I can't get to it.

This one is really nice:
http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main....ID=0& CID=175

That is a nice one but doesn't solve the OP's next problem, of the
hidden spider arm. In my experience they're impossible with any
chainring nut tool.

Robin Hubert

Old August 29th 04, 05:40 PM
mark

"Robin Hubert"
That is a nice one but doesn't solve the OP's next problem, of the
hidden spider arm. In my experience they're impossible with any
chainring nut tool.

Robin Hubert

My Campy chainring nut tool actually had a low enough profile to cope with
chainring bolts/nuts hidden behind the crank arm. Now if I could just find
that little bugger...
--
mark

Old August 29th 04, 08:12 PM
A Muzi

Jai Ma wrote:

Is there a special tool for chainring bolts. (not the allen wrench side,
the back side) Usually they just stick while I turn with the allen wrench,
but sometimes they do not. I can often just put a screwdriver in one side
of the little slots, but I have a pesky one that is mounted behind the arm
on a Sugino SD crank and I can't get to it.

su
http://www.yellowjersey.org/hardware.html

but if you grease the bolt, while leaving the nut side dry,
it doesn't seem to be needed. I use that tool when removing
old bolt/nut sets which spin in the crank.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org