Seat Post by Performance Cycle?

Old September 1st 04, 10:23 AM
pinnah

Default Seat Post by Performance Cycle?

Does anybody have any good or bad experience to report about the house
brand road seat post by performance cycle? See:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5261

A quick bit of searching on the net suggests it may be the best value
in terms of weight & price. It weighs in at 190g in the 250mm length
for only $20. Pretty much every post that I've been able to find that
weighs less costs at least $100 more, which raises "to good to be
true" concerns for me.

Does the head or post explode without warning?

Is the advertised weight a total lie?

Is the clamp & head assembly impossible to use and adjust?

Experiences pro and con?

TIA

-- Dave
"It is impossible, or not easy, to do noble acts
without the proper equipment."
Aristotle, Politics, 1323a-b, trans Jowett
Old September 1st 04, 03:26 PM
Jeff Starr

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:23:36 GMT, pinnah
wrote:

Does anybody have any good or bad experience to report about the house
brand road seat post by performance cycle? See:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5261

-- Dave

Hi, unless the size you need is the 26.8 in black, you are out of
luck.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old September 1st 04, 06:12 PM
Ronald

Does anybody have any good or bad experience to report about the house
brand road seat post by performance cycle? See:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5261

A quick bit of searching on the net suggests it may be the best value
in terms of weight & price. It weighs in at 190g in the 250mm length
for only $20. Pretty much every post that I've been able to find that
weighs less costs at least $100 more, which raises "to good to be
true" concerns for me.

Does the head or post explode without warning?

Is the advertised weight a total lie?

It looks identical to the BBB Speedpost: http://www.bbbparts.com/products/bik...osts/bsp01.htm
I looked at one. BBB usualy has good parts but i desided against it because the parts that clamp the seat rails are very narrow.
With my weight (85 kg) i didn't expect the rails to last long very long with that design.

Old September 2nd 04, 04:50 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

A quick bit of searching on the net suggests it may be the best value
in terms of weight & price. It weighs in at 190g in the 250mm length
for only $20. Pretty much every post that I've been able to find that
weighs less costs at least $100 more, which raises "to good to be
true" concerns for me.

Does the head or post explode without warning?

Looks like a "rail biter" to me. The area that it clamps the saddle rails
is very small (putting a lot of load across a very small section of the
rail) and it's not very wide either, which creates more leverage. I suspect
there's a good reason they're retiring the design; my guess is that it cost
them a lot of saddle warranties.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 2nd 04, 01:36 PM
pinnah

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
Looks like a "rail biter" to me. The area that it clamps the saddle rails

Mike and everybody else who responded, huge thanks for the help and
input. Ronald, cool catch on the BBB connection.

[dave ambles back to the search for good low cost seat post]

Old September 2nd 04, 02:02 PM
Ronald

Mike and everybody else who responded, huge thanks for the help and
input. Ronald, cool catch on the BBB connection.

[dave ambles back to the search for good low cost seat post]

The Ritchey Comp looks like a good choice:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=5261#