new Bontrager seatpost.

Old September 2nd 04, 11:49 AM
Callistus Valerius

Default new Bontrager seatpost.

Anyone have any experience with the new Bontrager seatpost with the
clamp bolt that comes form the side and not from underneath. Review on
cyclenews was interesting.

I've had horrible experiences with Weyless seatposts from Supergo. I've
had 3 seats fall off of two separate designs of theirs. The aluminin
version looks like it has a sturdy big clamp bolt, but it sheared. The
carbon seatpost has a hollow bolt (how flaky is that?) and two of those
sheared. They SUCK, big time.

Old September 2nd 04, 03:11 PM
Andre

This design was employed by softride some years ago. Indeed, it is
mechanically a very poor design. In order to prevent the saddle from
tilting fore \ aft, a tremendous amount of clamping force must be applied.
Thus, the bolt is subjected to severe shearing stress that inevitably leads
to strain, yield, then failure. I experienced this myself back during my
naive softride days of the mid 90's. Bontrager should abandon this
answer-to-a-question-nobody-asked design.

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois

ink.net...

Old September 2nd 04, 03:18 PM
Callistus Valerius

"Andre" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...
This design was employed by softride some years ago. Indeed, it is
mechanically a very poor design. In order to prevent the saddle from
tilting fore \ aft, a tremendous amount of clamping force must be applied.
Thus, the bolt is subjected to severe shearing stress that inevitably

leads
to strain, yield, then failure. I experienced this myself back during my
naive softride days of the mid 90's. Bontrager should abandon this
answer-to-a-question-nobody-asked design.

Is a two bolt, from underneath, the best design in your opinion? Or
what is the best design? I'm getting sick of having saddles falling off, by
luck I haven't been de-balled.

Old September 2nd 04, 03:18 PM
Callistus Valerius

t.cable.rogers.com...

Old September 2nd 04, 04:24 PM
Dan Daniel

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:18:25 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:

Is a two bolt, from underneath, the best design in your opinion? Or
what is the best design? I'm getting sick of having saddles falling off, by
luck I haven't been de-balled.

Get a Thomson and stop worrying.

Old September 2nd 04, 05:53 PM
Andre

In my opinion, the two bolt design tends to be somewhat flimsy, with narrow
cross section bolts. This clamp design also typically lacks setback (except
for the thompson layback design, which looks somewhat lame, in my opinion).
I would definitely go with the traditional one bolt design.

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois
AGC-PC support
http://agc-pc.tripod.com
BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
ink.net...

t.cable.rogers.com...

Old September 2nd 04, 05:53 PM
Andre

In my opinion, the two bolt design tends to be somewhat flimsy, with narrow
cross section bolts. This clamp design also typically lacks setback (except
for the thompson layback design, which looks somewhat lame, in my opinion).
I would definitely go with the traditional one bolt design.

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois
AGC-PC support
http://agc-pc.tripod.com
BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
ink.net...

t.cable.rogers.com...

Old September 3rd 04, 02:32 AM
dianne_1234

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:49:28 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:

Anyone have any experience with the new Bontrager seatpost with the
clamp bolt that comes form the side and not from underneath. Review on
cyclenews was interesting.

I've had horrible experiences with Weyless seatposts from Supergo. I've
had 3 seats fall off of two separate designs of theirs. The aluminin
version looks like it has a sturdy big clamp bolt, but it sheared. The
carbon seatpost has a hollow bolt (how flaky is that?) and two of those
sheared. They SUCK, big time.

Love it.

I've had a Bontrager Race Lite on my bike for about 1000 miles. Easy
to adjust, never slips, doesn't require a scary tight bolt, and
beautiful too. Much easier to put a seat on than my old Thomson, nice
as that post is.

I wondered about potential angle slip. I spoke with the tech support
guys at Trek and apparently during development of this post the
engineers tried different combinations of finishes on the mating
surfaces. They wanted secure grip when the bolt was tight, but also
easy release when the bolt was loosened. The finish looks to me like
machining on the female part, and bead blast plus anodizing on the
male part. Even greased (the post comes with a grease film on the
conical surfaces) I've had no hint of slipping.

Here's the web site:
http://www.bontrager.com/posts/detail.asp?id=55&pt=8

By the way, because the adjustment is conical the angle is infinitely
adjustable, which means the post can be flipped around to face forward
without any restrictions on seat tilt.