Advice to get my average up??

Old October 13th 05, 04:55 AM
Roger Zoul

Default Advice to get my average up??

John Thompson wrote:
: On 2005-10-12, Roger Zoul wrote:
:
: Keep working at it, Bill. It's hard work, not genetics, that will
: get you that heart attack.
:
: Genetics is only part of the picture, and the part you can't control.
: Lifestyle makes a big difference, and you can control that.

Which, of course, is what I said.

Old October 13th 05, 05:30 PM

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
John Thompson writes:

Last year the battery on my bike computer wore out. I didn't replace it. I
didn't miss it. This year I removed from my bike.

Welcome to the club :-)

Like yourself, it took me a while to shuck the
wiring harness vestiges off my bike. I guess
it was a phased withdrawal.

I've got a fairly cheap computer that doesn't have an average speed or
top speed or anything like that, so I find myself doing math problems
with it.

It gives me something to think about on the boring stretches, or the
really tough stretches of the route the local bike club practices on
every afternoon.

Okay, so I've gone 42 minutes. 42 = 2 x 7 x 3 so if I divide total
distance by 14 and multiply by 3 I'll know my average.

It's that or set the mp3 player to Chinese pop songs and do grammar
drills in my head. I know if I want to do the major rides to the cool
places with the big groups I've got to keep up and that means training.

After the first month the beach road got pretty boring but a fair bit
of searching around the city shows it to be the most suitable place for
a training ride. Hills, flats, curves, good pavement, low traffic,
wide roads, taxis if you can't make it back, snack stands if you are in
danger of bonking...

-M

Old October 16th 05, 05:45 AM
Jasper Janssen

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 00:03:19 -0400, wrote:
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 03:34:42 GMT, Jeff Starr wrote:

If there is anyone on this forum who
lives a bicycling lifestyle, it is Claire.

You're acting like I insulted her or something.

That'd be because you did.

You might be faster than Claire for the first 40-50 miles, but I got a
feeling that she will still be going at 100, while you will be calling
it a day.

Why do you say I'll be calling it a day. I've ridden 640 days out of the
last two years. You have no cause for saying that - it's a blatant putdown
and a big step up in insulting someone.

Or am I being too optimistic, have you ever ridden a
century? How about a metric century?

I have a ****ing hip injury asshole. I can barely walk. Does that make you
feel better?

So.. it's insulting to say that you probably wouldn't last 100 miles, but
you have a hip injury which prevents you from riding centuries.

Yeah.

Jasper
Old October 24th 05, 05:03 PM
Chris Neary

I don't consider myself a flower-picking leisure rider by any means,
but I have learned to relax a little and enjoy my rides instead of
rushing through them.

Where is written that one can't do both?

I did a *hard* group ride Friday, a moderate level ride with a few friends
Saturday, and then Sunday took the tandem out with my wife with us both in
recovery mode. In addition to a leisurely lunch stop at a winery, we
actually *stopped* the bike to study a burrowing owl she spotted.

There is some merit in switching up one's approach to riding.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh