Ebay Pawn Shops

Old October 23rd 05, 01:08 PM
meb

Default Ebay Pawn Shops

I'm noticing a lot of bikes starting to be sold on Ebay by Pawn Shops.
In the area I live in, there are a lot of hot bikes taken to Pawn
Shops. Any idea if these Pawn shop bikes on ebay are hot and if so
what percentage? Have there been many Pawn Shop sellers in the past
with less conspicuous Ebay names that simply obscured Pawn Shop sales?

--
meb

Old October 23rd 05, 03:53 PM
Claire Petersky

"meb" wrote in message

I'm noticing a lot of bikes starting to be sold on Ebay by Pawn Shops.
In the area I live in, there are a lot of hot bikes taken to Pawn
Shops. Any idea if these Pawn shop bikes on ebay are hot and if so
what percentage? Have there been many Pawn Shop sellers in the past
with less conspicuous Ebay names that simply obscured Pawn Shop sales?

I have a relative who makes a living going to pawn shops, garage sales, and
thrift stores buying bikes and cameras. He fixes and cleans them up, and
then re-sells them on eBay. On the bike side of the business, he mostly
specializes in Cannondales. I don't think he'd knowingly sell a hot bike,
but I don't know exactly how he'd find out.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old October 23rd 05, 05:57 PM
The Wogster

Claire Petersky wrote:
"meb" wrote in message

I'm noticing a lot of bikes starting to be sold on Ebay by Pawn Shops.
In the area I live in, there are a lot of hot bikes taken to Pawn
Shops. Any idea if these Pawn shop bikes on ebay are hot and if so
what percentage? Have there been many Pawn Shop sellers in the past
with less conspicuous Ebay names that simply obscured Pawn Shop sales?

I have a relative who makes a living going to pawn shops, garage sales, and
thrift stores buying bikes and cameras. He fixes and cleans them up, and
then re-sells them on eBay. On the bike side of the business, he mostly
specializes in Cannondales. I don't think he'd knowingly sell a hot bike,
but I don't know exactly how he'd find out.

Well, one way is to, record the serial number on the receipt, then run
the serial number with the local PD, if it's stolen and the police know
about that one, then the pawn shop owner will probably lose their pawn
brokers licence, business licence or both, they could also end up doing
jail time, dealing in stolen goods is a serious crime.

Old October 23rd 05, 06:44 PM
Leo Lichtman

"The Wogster" wrote: Well, one way is to, record the serial number on the
receipt, then run the serial number with the local PD, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Where I live, every item that a pawnshop takes in is automatically run with
the PD.

Old October 23rd 05, 10:18 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"The Wogster" wrote: Well, one way is to, record the serial number on the
receipt, then run the serial number with the local PD, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Where I live, every item that a pawnshop takes in is automatically run with
the PD.

Similarly in Vancouver. That said, the police occasionally run sting
operations against pawn shops, and occasionally bust pawn shop owners
for dealing in stolen property.

Old October 24th 05, 03:09 PM
Maggie

The Wogster wrote:

Well, one way is to, record the serial number on the receipt, then run
the serial number with the local PD, if it's stolen and the police know
about that one, then the pawn shop owner will probably lose their pawn
brokers licence, business licence or both, they could also end up doing
jail time, dealing in stolen goods is a serious crime.

This makes me laugh, because when my son was little he wanted a very
expensive Mongoose BMX bike or something for Christmas. It was really
popular when he was a kid. Well, it was stolen. I, like a fool, went
to the local police to report this crime and put the serial number on
file. I asked what the chances were of finding the bike. After they
got up off the floor and composed themselves after laughing their asses
off.....they said....NOT VERY GOOD.

Maggie