Can worn components be recycled?

Old March 28th 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jason Spaceman

Default Can worn components be recycled?

I just upgraded the chain rings, cassette, chain, and tires on my road
bike. What is the best way to dispose of the old worn rings, cogs,
chains, etc.? Can they be put in the recycle box along with my pop
cans and cardboard? Or do most municipal recycling programs not
recycle hardened aluminum, steel, etc.?

J. Spaceman

Old March 28th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Jason Spaceman wrote:
I just upgraded the chain rings, cassette, chain, and tires on my road
bike. What is the best way to dispose of the old worn rings, cogs,
chains, etc.? Can they be put in the recycle box along with my pop
cans and cardboard? Or do most municipal recycling programs not
recycle hardened aluminum, steel, etc.?

Yep, chuck 'em in.

Steel is pulled out of the stream easily. They'll love your
plain aluminum bits. "Mixed metal" (chainrings with steel
pins etc) has slow value but it's not zero.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 28th 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Jason Spaceman wrote:
I just upgraded the chain rings, cassette, chain, and tires on my road
bike. What is the best way to dispose of the old worn rings, cogs,
chains, etc.? Can they be put in the recycle box along with my pop
cans and cardboard? Or do most municipal recycling programs not
recycle hardened aluminum, steel, etc.?

I throw any small metal parts right in the bin. I doubt that tires would
be recycled, but who knows, worst case they'll just go to the
fill/incinerator anyway.

I've had the recyclers reject big metal pieces, but usually those are
picked off by scrap collectors before the trucks arrive. In our area
guys drive around in cars with cell phones and call scrap trucks. Last
week I had an exhaust system I had just cut off picked up just after
dawn. I save big pieces (pipe, disc rotors, etc.) until I have a pile
big enough to attract the scrappers.

I put out good stuff the day before. I was amazed to see a well dressed
woman jump out of a Jaguar to grab a croquet set that I discarded less
than hour before. Even the well to do aren't above trash picking it seems.

I do some myself. I've picked up a few bikes that way. This winter I was
riding my bike to the post office & spotted a rather nice Barracuda MTB
and grabbed it just ahead of the truck. I had to ride home with it slung
over my shoulder. I had to leave another 10-speed lying next to it.
Old March 29th 09, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick L Plate

On 28 Mar, 20:40, Jason Spaceman
wrote:
I just upgraded the chain rings, cassette, chain, and tires on my road
bike. *What is the best way to dispose of the old worn rings, cogs,
chains, etc.? *Can they be put in the recycle box along with my pop
cans and cardboard? *Or do most municipal recycling programs not
recycle hardened aluminum, steel, etc.?

Find alternative use before disposal. If you havn't your own chain
whip, a used chain works as well as a new piece on a home made tool.
Just like an old rim can be used to store a tyre, a chainring can be
used to store a ready lubricated chain ready for use. It's also
worthwile just having a box of stuff for when breakages or theft
occurs and you just cant wait for the shop.

TJ
Old March 29th 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

google an area search for beer can aluminum recycle. craigslist ?

aluminum people often reject aluminum with steel attached but only for
paying out.
the train here, Gulf Coast and Your Tax Money, tugs all metals
northward from the incinerators.
I met a smokey type. He wroked on the garbage conveyor picking out
good stuff as the lot headed toward inferno.
Old March 29th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

datakoll wrote:

google an area search for beer can aluminum recycle. craigslist ?

aluminum people often reject aluminum with steel attached but only for
paying out.
the train here, Gulf Coast and Your Tax Money, tugs all metals
northward from the incinerators.
I met a smokey type. He wroked on the garbage conveyor picking out
good stuff as the lot headed toward inferno.

or if you have a corner garage he probably has a recycle bin/barrel/drum
/whatever. of course ask if you can put stuff in there, don't want to
**** off the local mechanic.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

MA3 rim worn out joy Clive George UK 3 May 18th 08 03:31 PM
Worn out chainrings? [email protected] Techniques 11 April 1st 08 04:48 PM
How can you tell when a chainring is worn? Charles Smith Techniques 40 January 12th 05 06:56 PM
Chainwheels are worn out when ? [email protected] Techniques 6 October 22nd 04 12:24 PM
More Drivel on "Look" Cleats - How Worn is Too Worn? Suzy Jackson Australia 5 August 22nd 03 07:42 AM