Setting up cassette for my first time... question

Old July 25th 09, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

Default Setting up cassette for my first time... question

I have finally given up the old Bendix kick-down and bought one of the
Profile three-speed cassette hubs. (see:
http://profileracing.com/profileraci...5?productid=13
)

Anyway, it takes six, seven, or eight speed spacing. I wanted to set
it up with a wide ratio... I'm thinking 16/20/28 on a 45-tooth
chainring. I have never tried to go from 20 to a 28; anybody see
any problems?

Jones

Old July 25th 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jul 25, 4:46*pm, !Jones wrote:
I have finally given up the old Bendix kick-down and bought one of the
Profile three-speed cassette hubs. (see:http://profileracing.com/profileraci...5?productid=13
)

Anyway, it takes six, seven, or eight speed spacing. *I wanted to set
it up with a wide ratio... I'm thinking 16/20/28 on a 45-tooth
chainring. * *I have never tried to go from 20 to a 28; anybody see
any problems?

Jones

Shimano Megarange cassettes jump from 26-34 and shift quite well. Same
jump. Just make sure you use ramped cogs, not the flat DX ones.
Old July 26th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 25 July, 22:46, !Jones wrote:
I have finally given up the old Bendix kick-down and bought one of the
Profile three-speed cassette hubs. (see:http://profileracing.com/profileraci...5?productid=13
)

Anyway, it takes six, seven, or eight speed spacing. *I wanted to set
it up with a wide ratio... I'm thinking 16/20/28 on a 45-tooth
chainring. * *I have never tried to go from 20 to a 28; anybody see
any problems?

You'll be best served with a derailler with a large distance between
top pulley centre and tensioning pivot. This is not an excessive jump.
Old July 26th 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 14:55:23 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech
landotter wrote:

Shimano Megarange cassettes jump from 26-34 and shift quite well. Same
jump. Just make sure you use ramped cogs, not the flat DX ones.

Thank you.

Old July 26th 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:07:40 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech someone
wrote:

You'll be best served with a derailler with a large distance between
top pulley centre and tensioning pivot. This is not an excessive jump.

Thanks. I have an old Dura Ace short-arm. I won't shift much;
essentially, it's a single-speed with a granny and an overdrive.

Old July 26th 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

wrote:
You'll be best served with a derailler with a large distance between
top pulley centre and tensioning pivot. *This is not an excessive jump..

Thanks. *I have an old Dura Ace short-arm. *I won't shift much;
essentially, it's a single-speed with a granny and an overdrive.

Its the short cage that you want. If that is the EX you are referring
to, it is ideal. Dont worry about overstressing it, it is a solid
mech which will take abuse. Don't use these new chains with the flush
pins, the chain will be stressed and I think will have a hard time
unless it has protruding pins. Some of the Shimano mechs were only
classed as shifting to 24 on a 1" hanger. Even if you have such a
beast there are ways, using only one ring probably gets around it
anyway.
Old July 26th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 20:04:33 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech someone
wrote:

Thanks. *I have an old Dura Ace short-arm. *I won't shift much;
essentially, it's a single-speed with a granny and an overdrive.

Its the short cage that you want. If that is the EX you are referring
to, it is ideal. Dont worry about overstressing it, it is a solid
mech which will take abuse. Don't use these new chains with the flush
pins, the chain will be stressed and I think will have a hard time
unless it has protruding pins. Some of the Shimano mechs were only
classed as shifting to 24 on a 1" hanger. Even if you have such a
beast there are ways, using only one ring probably gets around it
anyway.

Yeah, it's a well-used EX. I seem to remember running a 28 on it;
however, I retired that bike to a fixie years ago. Whatever it had is
lost to too many drugs in the '60s.

Now, my understanding is that the cogs don't take individual spacers.
I've not actually built up a set and my LBS is useless unless you want
to buy a brand new bike; they probably have a pre-built cassette set;
however, for individual cogs, I'm on my own.

I'm learning to ride this old BMX. I've got him set up with Dahon
racks for touring. I guess I'm just going to have to learn to ride
bent-kneed. It sure feels odd; however, the kids set their seats much
lower than mine is. Now, I have to develop a whole new leg
muscle-set.

Jones
Old July 26th 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

wrote:
[...]

I guess you mean your'e having difficulty obtaining them. I'd suggest
you get thick wall steel pipe and cut them yourself. Wrap tape around
the pipe/tube for a cutting guide. Rub off burrs with an oilstone.
Pull the sprockets from a cheap 7 speed.
Old July 26th 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 10:59:08 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech someone
wrote:

I guess you mean your'e having difficulty obtaining them. I'd suggest
you get thick wall steel pipe and cut them yourself. Wrap tape around
the pipe/tube for a cutting guide. Rub off burrs with an oilstone.
Pull the sprockets from a cheap 7 speed.

I have a lathe and a vertical mill; I just never make what I can buy
for less than $100. Most of the on-line shops sell them for six or
seven bucks.

Jones