Got a parking ticket!

Old October 11th 05, 01:50 PM
Buck

Default Got a parking ticket!

I got a parking ticket yesterday... on my truck. I have used the truck
so little over the last year that I wasn't paying attention to when the
tags were due. I had to drive yesterday so I could make an afternoon
appointment. The local law spotted the expired tag and left me a little
note to pay a fine.

Bummer. Of course, I'm back on the bike today....

-Buck

Old October 11th 05, 03:53 PM
Maggie

Buck wrote:
I got a parking ticket yesterday... on my truck. I have used the truck
so little over the last year that I wasn't paying attention to when the
tags were due. I had to drive yesterday so I could make an afternoon
appointment. The local law spotted the expired tag and left me a little
note to pay a fine.

Bummer. Of course, I'm back on the bike today....

-Buck

Some people on this NG think that motorists are not fined enough or
given stiff enough penalties for bicycle/motorist related accidents.
Around my area, there are checkpoints for all types of things. If you
do one freaking thing wrong, you are stopped and ticketed. I've never
seen anyone stopped on their bike. Ever. And some of them should be.
They ride on the wrong side of the street, they ride on the
sidewalk...its ridiculous. In a suburban town, the motorist is
ticketed for everything. Bicycles seem to be able to break the law
without a problem. Unless there are no laws for cyclists in Suburbia.
I ride like a fool sometimes, and the police just smile. I can't tell
you how many times I have been pulled over "driving" because of my seat
belt or a parking light is not working. Anything to bring revenue into
the town. And God help you if your parking meter runs out 2 seconds
before you get to the car and its the end of the month. The bike
chained to the parking meter is not ticketed. I think Suburbia leaves
the cyclist alone even if they are riding the white line down the
middle of the road, and pulls over someone in a car if they see a crack
in the blinker. I love riding my bicycle, but I do believe suburbia
basically leaves cyclists alone and harrasses motorists sometimes.
Could be different in the city, but I have the misfortune of being in
suburbia where 12 police cars show up with sirens blaring if your are
pulled over for going 5 miles over the speed limit.
Maggie

Old October 11th 05, 07:01 PM
Tom Keats

In article .com,
"Maggie" writes:

I love riding my bicycle, but I do believe suburbia
basically leaves cyclists alone and harrasses motorists sometimes.
Could be different in the city, but I have the misfortune of being in
suburbia where 12 police cars show up with sirens blaring if your are
pulled over for going 5 miles over the speed limit.

The obvious answer is to ride instead of drive.
No hassle.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old October 11th 05, 07:40 PM
Maggie

Tom Keats wrote:
In article .com,
"Maggie" writes:

I love riding my bicycle, but I do believe suburbia
basically leaves cyclists alone and harrasses motorists sometimes.
Could be different in the city, but I have the misfortune of being in
suburbia where 12 police cars show up with sirens blaring if your are
pulled over for going 5 miles over the speed limit.

The obvious answer is to ride instead of drive.
No hassle.

cheers,
Tom

Well in Jersey it has been raining since Saturday...and the weather
report says it will be raining all week. Sometimes I have to drive. I
am made of sugar.....I melt. Or am I the witch who melts with water.
Maggie goes ummmmmmm.

Old October 11th 05, 08:19 PM
Bill Henry

Maggie wrote:
Buck wrote:

I got a parking ticket yesterday... on my truck. I have used the truck
so little over the last year that I wasn't paying attention to when the
tags were due. I had to drive yesterday so I could make an afternoon
appointment. The local law spotted the expired tag and left me a little
note to pay a fine.

Bummer. Of course, I'm back on the bike today....

-Buck

Some people on this NG think that motorists are not fined enough or
given stiff enough penalties for bicycle/motorist related accidents.
Around my area, there are checkpoints for all types of things. If you
do one freaking thing wrong, you are stopped and ticketed. I've never
seen anyone stopped on their bike. Ever. And some of them should be.

It may just depend on what local ordinances your town has regarding
bicycles. And, of course, if the police actually know the law and are
willing to enforce it.

In a suburban town, the motorist is
ticketed for everything. Bicycles seem to be able to break the law
without a problem. Unless there are no laws for cyclists in Suburbia.
I ride like a fool sometimes, and the police just smile. I can't tell
you how many times I have been pulled over "driving" because of my seat
belt or a parking light is not working. Anything to bring revenue into
the town.

Yeah, it's about revenue, mainly, although safety is also a concern.
You're much more likely to seriously injure someone while disobeying the
law in a car than on a bike. Even something like a brake light being
out could cause a serious accident on a poorly-lit road at night.

Bikes can be dangerous too, but usually riding illegally only puts
yourself at risk, or maybe a pedestrian - although likely not any mortal
danger.

And God help you if your parking meter runs out 2 seconds
before you get to the car and its the end of the month.

Tell me about it. I'm a college student and universities have a talent
for being ticket Nazis when it comes to any minor infraction.

The bike chained to the parking meter is not ticketed.

Again, depends on local ordinances. This might not be a crime,
technically.

Old October 11th 05, 08:58 PM
Tom Keats

In article .com,
"Maggie" writes:

The obvious answer is to ride instead of drive.
No hassle.

Well in Jersey it has been raining since Saturday...and the weather
report says it will be raining all week.

So wear raingear.

cheers again,
Tom

Old October 11th 05, 09:12 PM
Maggie

Tom Keats wrote:
In article .com,
"Maggie" writes:

The obvious answer is to ride instead of drive.
No hassle.

Well in Jersey it has been raining since Saturday...and the weather
report says it will be raining all week.

So wear raingear.

cheers again,
Tom

OK, I've been posting for a long time now. You think I will go out
biking with raingear on?

Maggie

Old October 11th 05, 09:17 PM
Joe Canuck

Maggie wrote:

Tom Keats wrote:

In article .com,
"Maggie" writes:

The obvious answer is to ride instead of drive.
No hassle.

Well in Jersey it has been raining since Saturday...and the weather
report says it will be raining all week.

So wear raingear.

cheers again,
Tom

OK, I've been posting for a long time now. You think I will go out
biking with raingear on?

Maggie

Wussie!

You have the power to change this.

Old October 11th 05, 09:17 PM
bryanska

Aything to bring revenue into
the town.

When our small town of Plainfield, IL had a popluation of 4000 balloon
to 13000 in the mid-90s, they began sending police recruits to
Chicago's academies instead of local schools.

The aggressive, detached mentality of these new officers had an
immediate negative effect on the quality of our small town life. All of
a sudden police action was for our own protection, not for our safety.

To this day, when in my hometown, I am afraid to talk to any of the
police officers there. Their big-city training effectively distanced
them from the populace to the extent that I don't know, or care for,
any of them.

Old October 11th 05, 09:24 PM
Paul Hobson

Bill Henry wrote:
Maggie wrote:

And God help you if your parking meter runs out 2 seconds
before you get to the car and its the end of the month.

Tell me about it. I'm a college student and universities have a talent
for being ticket Nazis when it comes to any minor infraction.

Haha...every year GT student's number one complaint is "the parking
Nazis" I feel ya brother

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology