Got a parking ticket!

Old October 11th 05, 09:26 PM
Neil Brooks

Default Got a parking ticket!

"Maggie" wrote:

Tom Keats wrote:
In article .com,
"Maggie" writes:

The obvious answer is to ride instead of drive.
No hassle.

Well in Jersey it has been raining since Saturday...and the weather
report says it will be raining all week.

So wear raingear.

cheers again,
Tom

OK, I've been posting for a long time now. You think I will go out
biking with raingear on?

If we can find some with a Dooney & Bourke label on it, you might.
Old October 11th 05, 09:43 PM
Rick

Maggie wrote:
Buck wrote:
I got a parking ticket yesterday... on my truck. I have used the truck
so little over the last year that I wasn't paying attention to when the
tags were due. I had to drive yesterday so I could make an afternoon
appointment. The local law spotted the expired tag and left me a little
note to pay a fine.

Bummer. Of course, I'm back on the bike today....

-Buck

Some people on this NG think that motorists are not fined enough or
given stiff enough penalties for bicycle/motorist related accidents.
Around my area, there are checkpoints for all types of things. If you
do one freaking thing wrong, you are stopped and ticketed. I've never
seen anyone stopped on their bike.

Not around here; cyclists are cited for various violations, but not
nearly as many or as often as they should. Same with operators of
motor vehicles; some get cited, but not nearly as many as should get
ticketed.

Ever. And some of them should be.
They ride on the wrong side of the street,

Bad, both from the operational and legal perspectives.

they ride on the
sidewalk...its ridiculous.

Legal in some areas.

chained to the parking meter is not ticketed.

In some areas they are impounded.

I love riding my bicycle, but I do believe suburbia
basically leaves cyclists alone and harrasses motorists sometimes.
Could be different in the city, but I have the misfortune of being in
suburbia where 12 police cars show up with sirens blaring if your are
pulled over for going 5 miles over the speed limit.

Boy, I think I want to live where you live, where police actually try
to control vehicular operation by the rule book. I can point out
intersections on my commute where cars regularly (like, almost every
time I am at the intersection - twice a day - so I assume it is
happening all the time) run the red light, and often run it while
driving in excess of the speed limit. I could probably point out 10 or
so motor vehicle operator infractions for every mile I commute. Not
many get caught. On the flip side, I see cyclists do dumb and illegal
things all the time; occasionally they get stopped and cited. They
invariably whine on newsgroups or mailing lists. More should be cited.
In both cases.

- rick

Old October 11th 05, 10:24 PM
Buck

Maggie wrote:
Well in Jersey it has been raining since Saturday...and the weather
report says it will be raining all week. Sometimes I have to drive. I
am made of sugar.....I melt. Or am I the witch who melts with water.
Maggie goes ummmmmmm.

One of my favorite times to ride is while it is raining. Well, as long
as I am on the "rain" bike - the one with fenders. In warm weather, I
don't even bother with rain gear. When it gets cold, my rain jacket is
usually enough to keep me warm even though my legs are getting wet.

I love splashing through the big puddles. Of course, it's only fun if
you know which puddles aren't associated with potholes. It's a bit
scary when you can't avoid a puddle and you don't know what's
underneath.

I took one of my bikes out during tropical storm Allison when she
dumped 23" of rain on my house. The water was nearly up to the top tube
on that ride. But it was a good way to cruise the neighborhood and
assess the damage. And yes, my house was flooded. And no, we weren't in
a flood plain. A dumped couch had blocked the storm drain for the
neighborhood. And finally, yes, I followed my own advice, and moved to
a different house the very next week.

But I still like riding in the rain!

-Buck

Old October 11th 05, 11:00 PM
Ben Pfaff

"Rick" writes:

Maggie wrote:
Buck wrote:
chained to the parking meter is not ticketed.

In some areas they are impounded.

Why should it be illegal to chain a bike to a parking meter?
It's a *parking* meter, I'm *parking* my bike at it. It's not
like there's a useful number of bike racks everywhere one wants
to park a bike. And if you try to use a regular car parking spot
without chaining it up, someone will steal the bike or hit it
with a car.
--
Ben Pfaff
email:
Old October 11th 05, 11:30 PM
Rich Clark

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I love riding my bicycle, but I do believe suburbia
basically leaves cyclists alone and harrasses motorists sometimes.
Could be different in the city, but I have the misfortune of being in
suburbia where 12 police cars show up with sirens blaring if your are
pulled over for going 5 miles over the speed limit.

Come drive your car in Philadelphia, where you have to shoot somebody from
your moving car in order to get the police to chase you. The lat time I saw
somebody get pulled over for running a red light was never, and the speed
limit is imposed by the rear of the car you're tailgating.

Fun for cycling, too.

RichC

Old October 11th 05, 11:39 PM
gds

Rich Clark wrote:

Come drive your car in Philadelphia, where you have to shoot somebody from
your moving car in order to get the police to chase you. The lat time I saw
somebody get pulled over for running a red light was never, and the speed
limit is imposed by the rear of the car you're tailgating.

What do you expect when the local delicacy is cheese steaks made with
meat rejected by the pet food companies. Folks just have mad cow
desease- or worse.

Old October 12th 05, 01:11 AM
Bill

Maggie wrote:
Could be different in the city, but I have the misfortune of being in
suburbia where 12 police cars show up with sirens blaring if your are
pulled over for going 5 miles over the speed limit.
Maggie

God,
You are so right about the 12 police cars. I was once surrounded by
police in Glendale, part of Los Angeles, because I was driving a car
that fit the description of one used in a robbery getaway. Actually 6
cars, but all with guns drawn on me, which was really a wake up call to
watch out for the police as much as anything else. After they figured
out that the suspect was not even the same ethic group as me they still
wore out their radios trying to find something to pin on me.

Fast forward about 8 years and I went around a corner burning rubber
trying out a friends Firebird 400HO, and didn't notice the group of cops
parked under the shade tree until I had 3 cars surrounding me with guns
drawn, again. I only burnt rubber up to the speed limit in first gear
but damn, all those guns, just like a big time crook. I started to
wonder who the cops were supposed to protect or if they pulled their
guns just hoping someone would make a wrong move. I now have a stay out
of Santa Clara California policy since that police force is totally
corrupt. That was one incident out of many with them. I once had one
walk into me an he got knocked on his butt by mistake but I got arrested
for drunk in public and I was stone cold sober. It was my car he was
sneaking around and I just wanted to go somewhere. I think all the
commotion broke up their big drug bust or something, but they sure were
****ed that I wasn't the one who got knocked down.
Too many cop/me experiences to go into here.
Bill Baka
Old October 12th 05, 02:17 AM
Tom Keats

In article .com,
"Maggie" writes:

Tom Keats wrote:
In article .com,
"Maggie" writes:

The obvious answer is to ride instead of drive.
No hassle.

Well in Jersey it has been raining since Saturday...and the weather
report says it will be raining all week.

So wear raingear.

cheers again,
Tom

OK, I've been posting for a long time now. You think I will go out
biking with raingear on?

Well, the other option is to drive and be
hassled by your local traffic constabulary.

Your choice.

cheers again again,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old October 12th 05, 02:34 AM
Tom Keats

In article . com,
"Rick" writes:

chained to the parking meter is not ticketed.

In some areas they are impounded.

That's so draconianly awful! Parking meters make the
best "bike racks". And a bike locked to a meter isn't
in anybody's way. Anyways, in civilized areas parking
meters are designed to accommodate bikes and U-locks.

cheers,
Tom

Old October 12th 05, 03:04 AM
Bob

Neil Brooks wrote:

"Maggie" wrote:
OK, I've been posting for a long time now. You think I will go out
biking with raingear on?

If we can find some with a Dooney & Bourke label on it, you might.

Dooney & Bourke might suffice for a casual bike ride but for anything
more formal like an organized group ride Maggie strikes me as more of a
Dolce & Gabbana, Yves St. Laurent, or Gucci girl. g

Regards,
Bob Hunt