Sicko stalking Brissy bike paths

Old May 10th 06, 12:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Sicko stalking Brissy bike paths

Karen Gallagher wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:
SteveA wrote:

LotteBum Wrote:
Thankfully, I'm in the southern suburbs. That said, I wouldn't want
to be the poor f*cker who decides to f*ck with me. You see, my
breasts are actually rocket launchers.

Lotte

I just hope you have safety catches so they don't launch
accidentally..

That's why I'm always scared to ride in front of Lotte...

Then again, I'm scared to wheelsuck her too...

If I find the fscker I'll throw him in the river.

Tam

Hope they catch him soon. I must say I cycled home from Toowong to Chandler
last night a little faster than usual on the bike paths along the river

Karen

I used to live at Toowong. On Wednesday nights I had trapeze training at
New Farm. I used to ride home. Once I tried along the river (back when
the path on the north bank was shut near Riverside, I used to go through
KP and over the Story Bridge). After having dodgy looking characters
yelling at me, I took to heading back along the main city streets, where
it was well lit and moderately trafficked. A few years ago a guy was
thrown from his bike and bashed and thrown in the river. Lovely people
hang out there at night.

Which way do you ride to Chandler? Do you head up Vulture St? I find
that when I leave uni after about 5:45pm, Coro Dr is fine to ride along,
as the traffic is moving at about 45km/h and it pretty much just sucks
me along right up to the William Jolly Bridge. If you ever want someone
to share the effort or make more of a presence in the traffic, email me.

Tam
Old May 10th 06, 01:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Karen Gallagher wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:
SteveA wrote:

LotteBum Wrote:
[...]

Hi Tam,

I use the bike track as much as possible - Coro Dr, Goodwill Br, Freeway
track to O'Keefe St then straight down Old Cleveland Rd. The bike tracks
(especially alongside the freeway) are very dark and not safe to ride at
speed at night, but still safer when riding alone than arguing with the
buses & trucks.

Not sure I'm in your league - it'd be a very slow ride for you (I'd estimate
I'm twice your age at least), I'm just getting used to my new (to me) second
hand road bike, bought an Avanti Corsa in the end, and still getting used to
having a lovely, lively ride again, even though it has not got the lower
gear range that my hybrid does.

That night I was riding home after running with the Hash House Harriers, so
it's not a regular ride for me. But I do ride into Brisbane several times a
week, usually in daytime when it's very different.

Karen

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

Old May 10th 06, 02:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Karen Gallagher wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Karen Gallagher wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:
SteveA wrote:

LotteBum Wrote:
[...]

It's no problem, I remember being new to the road bike too. I find Coro
Dr bikeway nice when it's not too busy, and often use it instead of Coro
Dr. But if Coro Dr is only a little backed up, it is quite safe as long
as you claim a lane. It's especially easy whenever you go in the
direction that has the virtually untrafficked T3 lane.

Be especially careful on the bikeway near Vulture St in the wet - Abby
and I have both come off here. I guess one of the things I don't like is
the high fencing on both sides of the bikeway in places. I feel a bit
trapped - especially significant in light of recent sicko. On the road,
if someone was to drive straight at me or try to grab me, at least I
could have a go at jumping the kerb, etc.

O'Keefe St is where Abby and I get off the bikeway and we would go Logan
Rd from there. If ever you find yourself with not enough front light,
consider heading up Vulture St. You can keep far left (even turning
lanes, as there is edge line on the far side of the intersection) and
then turn right at Latrobe St, and follow either the back streets or
Wellington Rd down onto Logan Rd. It is very well lit even in the worst
of weather and you'll find that as soon as Vulture St gets any traffic
it suddenly gets slow, so you'll be faster than the other traffic, which
makes claiming a lane very easy.

Anyway, offer still stands, I'm sure Abby also wouldn't mind the trip
from the CBD out if you'd like company while you're getting used to the
roadie.

Tam
Old May 10th 06, 02:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Karen Gallagher wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Karen Gallagher wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:
SteveA wrote:

LotteBum Wrote:
[...]

Thanks Tam, I'll give the Vulture St route a try tomorrow, have to go to
the Mater in the morning, then Toowong, then home again so it'll be in
daylight too.

The offer is very much appreciated, too, by the way - not many want to ride
with an over-competitive 58 year old these days

Karen

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM
Bike rack [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 02:50 AM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM