lockup strategies

Old November 30th 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default lockup strategies

"Michael Klontzas" wrote in message
As some of you may know, recently my bike was damaged beyond repair by a
brain-dead thief who didn't realise you can't use an aluminium frame as
lever to break a d-lock without destroying the frame. Now I am in the
process of buying a new bike and I am reconsidering my lockup strategy.
What are your thoughts on that? Not locking up in public places or using
a second, cheap bike for riding down the pub are not options here
unfortunately.

Up to now, I used a long (29cm) d-lock through frame/front wheel/rails
and a cheap coil lock through rear wheel/frame/rails. The d-lock was
placed in such a way (tight fit with key-hole facing the spokes) that
tampering with the key-hole or forcing the lock open was made very
difficult. As I found out, a thief will still consider cutting through
the coil lock (trivial as we know) and use the frame to twist the d-lock
until it gives in, although the damage caused in the process may render
the whole exercise pointless.

So, how about:
* replacing the coil lock above with one more d-lock. This would make
using the twist trick harder. I've seen other bikes locked up this way
but there is there a weight penalty of course. Considering that, unlike a
coil lock, the d-lock is not flexible, do you think this would make using
certain bike stands impractical?

* swapping the coil lock and the d-lock around. The idea here is that
this should make blindingly obvious that the much thinner tubes of the
rear triangle cannot take the stresses of twisting the d-lock, so there
is no point in even trying.

* attaching a note explaining that aluminium frames get *very* easily
damaged beyond repair. This however could infuriate some thieves.

All this with proper insurance of course. I am considering the CTC/LCC
recommended policy he http://www.butterworthinsurance.co.uk/ However,
I'll have to contact them about a term saying:

'Machines must be kept in a secured building, not communal entrance or
hallway, and not left in the open overnight, (11pm to 6am).'

which could be read to mean a bike is not covered after drink up time,
even if it is normally kept at home. Any experience of this policy or
alternative options?

TIA

--
Michael Klontzas
'If everything seems to be coming your way,

You need to try out several insurance comapnies to see what the detail of
their policy is.

The two D-lock strategy seems a step in the right direction. Bear in mind
you'll need to see what the minimum locking requirements are of any
insurance policy you take out and do *at least* that. The one The Unfit
Family has is a basic 'must be locked to an immovable object with a D-lock"
one, which we've got on our household contents insurance. When we went away
to France, we made sure we'd checked with the insurance company before we
went off so that 1. said company knew we were going 2. still covered bikes
3. any other requirements. One of the quirks of ours is that if we go away
anywhere in the car, if we leave the bikes *in* the *locked* car overnight,
they are not covered by insurance if nicked. BUT, if we have them *on* the
car via the towbar-mounted bike carrier (which is locked to the towbar), and
lock them to the tow-bar with D-locks, then they *are* covered... go figure
the quirks of insurance!

Thankfully where I live, the risk of theft is small. What I do is use a
D-lock to lock main frame to bike stand and then one cable lock around front
wheel, frame & bike stand & second cable lock around rear wheel, frame &
bike stand. Indeed, many the time I find mine can be the only bike that is
locked in a whole row of sheffield stands!

Cheers, helen s

Old December 1st 05, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

If we leave the bikes *in* the *locked* car overnight, they are not
covered by insurance if nicked. BUT, if we have them *on* the car via the
towbar-mounted bike carrier (which is locked to the towbar), and lock them
to the tow-bar with D-locks, then they *are* covered... go figure the
quirks of insurance!

Yeah, if we go camping our valuables are not insured if they're locked in
the car but OK protected by the massive security of a zip and two layers of
nylon.

Old December 1st 05, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Michael Klontzas wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I'll have to shop around but it may prove
difficult to find policies specifically designed for bikes.

IME these are rather overpriced. We've come off the CTC and now have a
home contents policy that covers the bikes well (at least as far as we
can tell from looking at the policy). This is effectively free with the
house contents, where CTC's was £350 a year for ~£5,000 worth of bikes,
and not particularly thievable ones at that.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old December 2nd 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In message ,

Thankfully where I live, the risk of theft is small. What I do is use a
D-lock to lock main frame to bike stand and then one cable lock around
front wheel, frame & bike stand & second cable lock around rear wheel,
frame & bike stand. Indeed, many the time I find mine can be the only
bike that is locked in a whole row of sheffield stands!

At work, I attach my bike to a railing in the car park beneath the
office block. I think there are some Sheffield stands in the delivery
yard above, but they're open to the elements and not near the entrance
that I use.

First I detach the front wheel (both wheels have quick release skewers),
and use an Abus Granit D-lock to attach this, the frame and the rear
wheel to the railing. Then I take the seat post and saddle off, too
(there's a quick release clamp). All this can be done in about 30
seconds.

The car park isn't visible to passers by and even though it's mainly
used only by other cyclists, drivers and facilities staff who work in
the office blocks above, at least two bikes have been reported stolen
from it in recent months. Some contractors may use it - but they only
get in if the security man in the yard lets them.

I go through the same routine when I attach the bike to the roadside
railing outside the swimming pool where I swim 3-4 times a week. If it's
raining I fasten a plastic bag over the open end of the tube with an
elastic band.

One disadvantage of the lock is the weight, but it means I can stop
virtually anywhere and fasten the bike to something. Another is the
chipped paint work on the bike frame. The bike is a 1986 Evans and,
according to a work colleague, looks 'very old fashioned'. Maybe that's
why I still have it.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Read my tips...

Cycling-to-school strategies D.M. Procida UK 15 September 7th 05 07:23 AM
dog strategies pam_in_sc General 53 August 18th 04 04:41 AM
anti-puncture strategies barry.webster3 UK 31 August 5th 04 10:06 AM