Compact Crankset with Campy 10sp

Old February 7th 04, 06:22 PM
plp_74

Default Compact Crankset with Campy 10sp

This summer I'm taking a bike tour of the Alpes during the Tour de France (crazy! ). I'll be running Campy Chorus 10sp with a 13-29 and I want to use a compact crankset (such as the FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact) with 50/34. Will this crankset work with a Chorus medium-cage rear derailleur and a Chorus double front derailleur? Thanks for any help you can provide, and if you can recommend a good place to get a deal on the cranks, that would be awesome! :

-

Old February 8th 04, 04:24 AM
Allan Leedy

It's my understanding that you would need a different bottom bracket, either
the Isys (sp?) drive or the Dura Ace to fit the FSA crank, but that
otherwise this setup would work. However . . . I've thought of this too, in
connection with a planned trip later this year to the Maritime Alps, on a
Chorus 10-speed bike I use, and I've concluded that it's not so hot. Sure,
you get the 34/29 as a low gear, but you're stuck with a 50/13 as your
longest one, which will spin out pretty easily on a slight downgrade or with
a tailwind. With Campy Chorus, I think a better setup is to convert to the
Campy Chorus triple, new this year. (The Campag. front der setup is much
better than Shimano's because it is so easy to trim. I have the Record
triple on a bike I use for traveling and I find it trouble-free.) You won't
get the 200g or so weight advantage from the FSA compact crankset, but you
get a potentally lower climbing gear without sacrificing at the top end. In
fact, with a 12-26 on the back, you can even improve the top end over the
13-29 cassette. You might fit a 52 or 53-tooth big ring onto the FSA crank,
but I would be leery of the 18- or 19-tooth drop/rise for changes at the
front. Small to big changes will be slow, and big to small could,
literally, suck.

Old February 8th 04, 05:02 AM
A Muzi

plp_74 wrote:
This summer I'm taking a bike tour of the Alpes

during the Tour de France (crazy! ). I'll be running Campy
Chorus 10sp with a 13-29 and I want to use a compact
crankset (such as the FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact)
with 50/34. Will this crankset work with a
Chorus medium-cage rear derailleur and a
Chorus double front derailleur? Thanks for any
help you can provide, and if you can
recommend a good place to get a deal on the
cranks, that would be awesome!

Yes. I just built that:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/RADER041.JPG

I couldn't email the address you used so write if you want
to pursue this.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old February 8th 04, 02:25 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

plp- This summer I'm taking a bike tour of the Alpes during the Tour de
France (crazy! ). I'll be running Campy Chorus 10sp with a 13-29 and I want
to use a compact crankset (such as the FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact) with
50/34. Will this crankset work with a Chorus medium-cage rear derailleur and a
Chorus double front derailleur? Thanks for any help you can provide, and if
you can recommend a good place to get a deal on the cranks, that would be
awesome!

Sure, w/o problem. Just put in the BB, the crank on, lower the front der...go
ride.

--

BRBR

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old February 8th 04, 02:30 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

raleedy- It's my understanding that you would need a different bottom
bracket, either
the Isys (sp?) drive or the Dura Ace to fit the FSA crank, BRBR

ISIS or any shimano Octalink in 109mm length, from DA thru 105 level-

However . . . I've thought of this too, in
connection with a planned trip later this year to the Maritime Alps, on a
Chorus 10-speed bike I use, and I've concluded that it's not so hot. Sure,
you get the 34/29 as a low gear, but you're stuck with a 50/13 as your
longest one, BRBR

I have used a 50/13 tallest gear here in Colorado, on ups and downs w/o
problem. It takes more than a ''slight' downhill to make me 'spin out, be in
excess of 110 rpm, where I would probably go fatser if I stopped pedaling and
thought aero thoughts.

BUT get the 'Tyler' crank with a 52/34 then, that'll work fine also...

raleedy With Campy Chorus, I think a better setup is to convert to the
Campy Chorus triple, new this year. BRBR

Or the Centaur....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old February 8th 04, 02:47 PM
Paul Kopit

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 20:24:51 -0800, "Allan Leedy"
wrote:

Chorus 10-speed bike I use, and I've concluded that it's not so hot. Sure,
you get the 34/29 as a low gear, but you're stuck with a 50/13 as your
longest one, which will spin out pretty easily on a slight downgrade or with
a tailwind. With Campy Chorus,

It's easy to make a 13/29 into a 12/29. Downhill, it's not difficult
to spin out most normal combinations. Spinning out a 50/13 in the
flat or even slighlty downgrade is exercise. In 9sp days, a popular
Campy combination was 53/39 and 13/26.

I wouldn't invest $4-500 on a drivetrain for a particular trip. I'd
borrow or buy an inexpensive Shiman hubbed wheel and put on a 11/32
cassette.
Old February 8th 04, 02:49 PM
Paul Kopit

On 08 Feb 2004 14:30:16 GMT, (Qui si parla
Campagnolo) wrote:

BUT get the 'Tyler' crank with a 52/34 then, that'll work fine also...

And I thought it was 52/36. I wonder what front derailleur he used
and how great the shifts were?
Old February 8th 04, 08:13 PM
andres muro

I think that it will work no problem. Try it. When you set it up,
adjust it so you'll have enough chain to go into the 50-29 w/o
problems. You don't want to run a chain that is too short and
accidentally shift into the 29 and destroy your rear deraullier at the
top of a mountain pass. You may be running a chain that is too loose
when you shift into the 34-13 through 15. right now I am building a TT
bike using an old 110 crankset and puttung 52-34 chainrings.

Andres

Old February 9th 04, 01:52 AM
Kenny Lee

plp_74 wrote:

This summer I'm taking a bike tour of the Alpes during the Tour de France (crazy! ).

I don't know what sort of shape you're in but, if it were me, I'd do it
right and go triple. Having that granny sure makes hill climbing easier!

Kenny Lee
Old February 9th 04, 06:13 AM

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 18:22:58 GMT, plp_74
wrote:

This summer I'm taking a bike tour of the Alpes during the Tour de France (crazy! ). I'll be running Campy Chorus 10sp with a 13-29 and I want to use a compact crankset (such as the FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact) with 50/34. Will this crankset work with a Chorus medium-cage rear derailleur and a Chorus double front derailleur?

I just came back from a week of riding in the Australian Alps - climbs
and descents up to 30km long. I was using the exact same Chorus medium
cage derailleur and 10s 13-29 cassette with a Sugino PX crankset and
42-28 chainrings. I think there should be enough take-up on the
derailleur to cope with the two extra tooth difference of the 50-34.

If the descents had been straight and not very steep I would have
found the 42-13 top gear too low, but there was very little of that.
Most of the sections of descent that weren't constantly winding were
so steep (mostly around 10% or 11% and up to 16% in places) that
getting into a tuck made more sense than pedalling. And on the winding
sections, a few pedal strokes out of each corner at 140-150 RPM in the
42x13 to get up to ~60kph and then back into a tuck for a few seconds
until braking for the next bend. IAK, going down mountain passes fast
is mostly about being able to corner and less about having a huge gear
to pedal the straights. And I certainly appreciated the 28x29 low when
climbing the 16% gradients.

Nick Payne